heavy discounting on some Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finding price breaks on new, non-current bikes has always been easy - but I was a little surprised to find that Honda had a lot of duds recently. I was able to find new, non-current (mostly 2014's) Valkyrie $18,000 --> $11,000 CB1100 $12,000 --> $7000; CTX1300 16-18k --> 8-10k; CTX700 < $5k

I think it's great that we have a lot of new models and a lot of new choices in bikes the last few years; I'm just surprised at the heavy discounts.

Yes, I took advantage and picked up a CTX1300

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Finding price breaks on new, non-current bikes has always been easy - but I was a little surprised to find that Honda had a lot of duds recently. I was able to find new, non-current (mostly 2014's) Valkyrie $18,000 --> $11,000 CB1100 $12,000 --> $7000; CTX1300 16-18k --> 8-10k; CTX700 < $5k

I think it's great that we have a lot of new models and a lot of new choices in bikes the last few years; I'm just surprised at the heavy discounts.

Congrats, picts or didn't happen
wink.gif

Any particular dealer or on any dealer pretty much?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs [/quote

wink.gif

I knew that was coming!!

It's paid for but I did not pick it up yet

Prices are very inconsistent at dealers - but I had no problem with cycletrader and/or spot checking dealers to find deals.

I wasn't really even looking; but a friend at a dealer WAY up north called to tell me about the Valkyrie for 11. it was an amazing deal, but I would have wanted some luggage and windshield - and I wasn't sure that I wanted to go with that large of a bike. he then recommended the CTX1300.

Last edited:
I rode one when they first came out and I really like the lazy cruising style the bike promotes with it's long very low seat and it high torque low rev engine. I'm amazed at all the different kinds of motors Honda develops for its line of bikes.

I just sold my older 98 VTR to a friend that was purchased new in 2000 as a crate bike. I paid $2,500 for the bike assembled by the dealer and ready to go. Honda had a bunch of them left over and this deal moved them all out. After fixing the usual for this bike, water pump seal problem, Ohlin suspension mods, an exhaust system and a chain oiler it's been bullet proof, never a problem and nothing but routine maintenance with Red Line 10w-40 oil.

Watching for these Honda deals like you did can net you a very nice ride. Congrats.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

wink.gif

[/quote

I knew that was coming!!

It's paid for but I did not pick it up yet

Prices are very inconsistent at dealers - but I had no problem with cycletrader and/or spot checking dealers to find deals.

I wasn't really even looking; but a friend at a dealer WAY up north called to tell me about the Valkyrie for 11. it was an amazing deal, but I would have wanted some luggage and windshield - and I wasn't sure that I wanted to go with that large of a bike. he then recommended the CTX1300.

I know nothing about bikes, but thats a nice looking bike!

As far as "Honda had a lot of duds recently", I immediately recalled this article.

Motorcyclist Article

To Honda's credit, they are now releasing some updated versions of models that have been popular in this Country, namely the CBR1000RR.

As for your new bike, congrats. If you like it, despite the CTX's being slow sellers, that's all that matters. I would suggest bringing it home from the Showroom, before some looky lou mouth-breather can scratch up the paint while throwing a leg over it.

tomcat, great purchase !! Hey, let me know how smooth the CTX is and how it is on fuel economy and power. I don't think I'll have to steer away from vibey bikes like my Duc after a completed recovery from my retinal eye surgery but my surgeon sure is paranoid about my messing with *anything* that vibrates much, at least at this stage. **I'd rather find an uber-smooth/silky bike and sacrifice some "character" than to have to cease riding altogether** So anyhow, PM me later on, after you log some miles and let me know how smooth the CTX is. Might be an option for me if I have to transition away from twins and the buzzier of the inline fours...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
As far as "Honda had a lot of duds recently", I immediately recalled this article.

Motorcyclist Article

To Honda's credit, they are now releasing some updated versions of models that have been popular in this Country, namely the CBR1000RR.

As for your new bike, congrats. If you like it, despite the CTX's being slow sellers, that's all that matters. I would suggest bringing it home from the Showroom, before some looky lou mouth-breather can scratch up the paint while throwing a leg over it.

Agreed on the "get it home before Billy Bob shows up with his gold and chrome belt buckle and attacks it". Nothing is worse than the first scratch on a new bike, and doubly annoying if you weren't involved.

I have a NC700X, one of the bikes that was mentioned in the article. I think Honda's Marketing and Engineering departments need to spend a little more time with each other. Having had some Dual Sport bikes in the past, this thing is lost if you are off a dirt road. It gets scary when you are on gravel, and is much too heavy for me to want to stand back up more than once if it tipped over.

Hey Honda: It's a STANDARD motorcycle underneath.

If you approach it like that, it's a fine machine. I love the nearly no-maintenance engine and its quietness. When I first started riding it, I hit the rev limiter hard and often, but got used to it after I rode it for a little bit.

I think the "duds" are that these bikes have a huge mismatch between how they are marketed and how they perform as well as a radical departure (in the case of the NC700X an CTX700/N line) in engine configuration. An "Adventure Bike" that is horrible off road combined with a torque monster engine that doesn't like to rev past 6,500 makes for a huge gap between owner expectation and actual performance isn't going to make a lot of pals. The 670 twin makes a little more sense in the CTX line, but most people buying a cruiser want flashy chrome and loud pipes a CTX700 delivers exactly NONE of that. In fact, they are so quiet that you can't tell they are running if there are more than a couple other bikes around.

I'm still not sure what the NM4 actually is, other than an attempt to build Shotaro Kaneda's bike from the movie Akira. I've owned quite a few bikes and if I don't know what it is, it's likely nobody does.

Last edited:

Sweet ride, I have always like the V4 engine in the ST1300. I was glad to see it in a less..."generic" package. I'm going to sell my VFR 700 this spring and will miss the V4 snort a lot. Does the version used today still have the gear driven valvetrain?

Do you mind spilling the beans on where you found the CTX700 for $5K?

To gregk24: It's a touring bike. That means it goes down the highway nice 'n comfy. I'm not sure how the engine's laid out but I'll bet it's smooth as silk.

A bike built for riding. Very nice.

You know what would be cool? If a specialized tool kit could be assembled and made available for any bike you bought.

the photo's above are not my actual bike, mine is new in the crate. the cams on the 1300 are chain-driven. ( I know, the earlier VFR had a very sweet gear-driven setup - my brother had one) I gave ALOT of thought to the CTX700 - that bike had really good balance and a really good feel. it's also much easier to adjust the valves on the 700 (adjustable, vs. the spacers on the 1300)

Where did I find the brand new 2014 CTX700 for 4500? is it ok to list details here? Sheboygan Powersports in Sheboygan WI. I have a buddy at one of their family stores further up north. I also found a 2015 CTX700 at Sportland 2 for $5300. they actually had a few different 700 variants - one was also $4500 but it sold. cycle trader website will find some of the deals - but not all of them.

After having a Buell and a couple of other v-twins, I really wanted something with a smoother engine for higher speeds. I will still keep the vstar for commuting, and use the ctx for trips.

Insurance is 4X for me for the CTX; I am paying under $100 annually for full coverage on the Vstar.

I will give an update once I put a few miles on it. from what I can tell from the ctx forums, I expect around 40-42 mpg. while the engine is heavily related to the engine in the former Honda ST1300, the HP is down but the torque curve is up and much lower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Motorcyclist Article

Honda (motorcycle division) has definitely lost its way, and this for some years now. That being said, hopefully the new CBR1000RR and African Twin are a sign that they have turned the corner and are back to building real-world motorcycles and not showpieces destined for the Guggenheim...

Good luck with the new ride! I never rode one but have sat on them a number of times in the dealer. I like that bike.
I too, have always noticed really sweet discounts on Hondas, I honestly think its just the state of the economy and on outdoor activities and motorcycles in general. Many hobbies and such are dead, replaced by a smart phone.

Last edited:
This does not surprise me. The motorcycle market has been soft the last year. I saw a news article how Harley dealers even have a sizable amount of last years models still on hand.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Many hobbies and such are dead, replaced by a smart phone.

Saw an article recently that said about half of millennials are more into what kind of phone they can get or want than vehicle ownership, and new phone trumps even fresh driver license and first car. Wow.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
02SE said:
Hey Honda: It's a STANDARD motorcycle underneath.

FWIW they have a standard version they sell elsewhere. NC700S. Well now they have the NC750S. They also sell the improved NC750X elsewhere. But won't sell it here.

FYes, I took advantage and picked up a CTX1300

Congrats!

I like the idea of that bike. V4 is a great engine configuration, and longitudinally mounted like that is much more practical from a maintenance standpoint than transverse mounted like the VFR. And having the heads more exposed is practical and aesthetically pleasing.

When I bought my Africa Twin last year there I saw deals on the VFR1200X and CTX700. Don't remember if I saw deals on the 1300.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Saw an article recently that said about half of millennials are more into what kind of phone they can get or want than vehicle ownership, and new phone trumps even fresh driver license and first car. Wow.

I believe it.
Kind of creepy, people being programmed like Droids (no pun intended), unable to question, think and reason for themselves.
Who knows, their "masters" may one day be whoever programs their devices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

It's true what your saying. I'm trying to get the kid (he's 21) that live's across the street from me, a part time job where I work. He doesn't have, and never had a drivers license. The company uses that for doing a background checks on new applicants, plus the question of How are you going to get here? make's a good point. He would be working different hours then me, so car pooling wouldn't work. It just never was a important thing to him to get a license.But he's got a state of the art phone tho.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back