looking for your opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Terrain with 2.4 eco-tec engine seems to be using some oil. I just bought the vehicle in July 2016, so I am not the original owner.
It does have a warranty and it has 47,4xx miles on it. Current fill is Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Fram Ultra filter. The next oil change is due in mid April.
It seems to need a quart about every 1500-1800 miles. Just about 300 miles ago I added a quart of mmo instead of oil. Im hoping maybe stuck
rings might free themselves. The next oci I was thinking of a few choices:

Castrol 0w40 (black container)
Mobil 0w40
Valvoline 5w30
Castrol Magnatec 5w30 (blend)

Looking to see what you folks think I should use here to slow consumtion. I'm leaning towards Castrol 0w40, but I don't want to void my warranty.
Also thought about a 5w30 synthetic with Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (would need to add a quart of this stuff).
What's the opinion of the Lucas oil stabilizer? Which might be more effective the 0w40 or 5w30+Lucas?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Neptune

What's the opinion of the Lucas oil stabilizer?

It's horrible for use in engine oil.

It's a viscosity improver with no additives whatsoever. It's just a very heavy product from the bottom of the refractory column, and it would be a wonder base stock for a heavy gear lube If it actually had any anti-wear additives in it, but it doesn't.
I don't think it will do any good at all in a 2012 that SHOULD have relatively tight clearances.

I'm very, very curious to see what results you get with the MMO. 300 miles is too soon to tell.

These engines are notorious for oil consumption. GM has a TSB for it; Google it. The piston rings don't seal properly to the cylinder walls.

Also beware of timing chain noise. GM has a TSB for that too on this engine. My sister in law used to have a 2010 Terrain and had to go to the dealer multiple times for both of these issues. She finally dumped that pile of junk for a Toyota. Engine sounded like marbles rolling around in a coffee can when she traded it in.

Its common for Mobil-1 to have consumption issues in it's first OCI of a used vehicle. Give it another OCI and monitor it's usage again.

Should the same level of consumption continue, switch to Supertech or NAPA for savings.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Its common for Mobil-1 to have consumption issues in it's first OCI of a used vehicle. Give it another OCI and monitor it's usage again.

Should the same level of consumption continue, switch to Supertech or NAPA for savings.

I had that happen when changing to PP, and then again to Havoline synthetic in my 00 Century. It did subside after an OCI or two..

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You could always move up to a 10W30 and see if that helps.

Nobody has commented yet about moving to a 0w40 oil.

I would stick with 0w or 5w30 Dexos approved synthetic and stop with the snake oil additives.

Last edited:
If it has a reputation of consumption, you might be stuck and different oil weights and/or snake oils may not help at all. Sorry

Originally Posted By: Neptune
My 2012 Terrain with 2.4 eco-tec engine seems to be using some oil. I just bought the vehicle in July 2016, so I am not the original owner.
It does have a warranty and it has 47,4xx miles on it. Current fill is Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Fram Ultra filter. The next oil change is due in mid April.
It seems to need a quart about every 1500-1800 miles. Just about 300 miles ago I added a quart of mmo instead of oil. Im hoping maybe stuck
rings might free themselves. The next oci I was thinking of a few choices:

Castrol 0w40 (black container)
Mobil 0w40
Valvoline 5w30
Castrol Magnatec 5w30 (blend)

Looking to see what you folks think I should use here to slow consumtion. I'm leaning towards Castrol 0w40, but I don't want to void my warranty.
Also thought about a 5w30 synthetic with Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (would need to add a quart of this stuff).
What's the opinion of the Lucas oil stabilizer? Which might be more effective the 0w40 or 5w30+Lucas?

Thanks!

Not as dependent on oil once this issue is resolved - just use what is specified.

I haven't included the whole bulletin here, but suffice it to say get it to a reputable dealer and start an oil consumption test...

... See below...

#13-06-01-003H: Excessive Oil Consumption - Perform Oil Consumption Test and/or Install Piston and Piston Ring Kit - (Feb 9, 2016)
Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption – Perform Oil Consumption Test and/or Install Piston and Piston Ring Kit

Models: 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse
2011-2013 Buick Regal
2012-2013 Buick Verano
2010-2013 Chevrolet Equinox
2012-2013 Chevrolet Captiva, Orlando (Canada Only)
2010-2013 GMC Terrain
Equipped with 2.4L Engine (RPOs LAF, LEA)

Condition
Some customers may comment on excessive oil consumption and/or that they have to add oil between oil changes.

Correction
For this condition, technicians should perform an oil consumption test by following the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011. Before starting the oil consumption test, verify the ECM has latest TIS2web calibrations to adjust the engine oil life monitor to a maximum of 7,500 miles (12,070 km) — Refer to the latest version of Customer Satisfaction Bulletin #12312.

Inspect for any obvious oil leaks that may explain the oil consumption concern and repair as necessary.

Important: When checking the oil level with the oil dipstick design shown below, please note that the oil volume per notch is not linear due to the shape of the block. The upper notches (relative to the top of the handle) equal 0.24 quart (0.227 L) between each notch while the lower notches only equal 0.14 quart (0.132 L) between each notch. As a result, no oil will appear on the dipstick if it is low on oil by approximately 1.25 quarts (1.18 L) or more. When determining the oil consumption rate, the oil volume added to return it to the starting location is the total amount of oil consumed. The consumption rate must be documented on a repair order.

Notice: Do not add too much oil. An overfill can lead to burn off of the excess oil. Advise the customer to wait until the oil is below the cross-hatched area at the tip of the dipstick before adding oil.

Object ID: 3339530Click here for detailed picture of the image.

If the oil consumption test indicates that the rate of consumption is greater than 1 quart (0.946 L) of oil every 2,000 miles (3,200 km), note the oil consumption rate, the date that the ECM was reprogrammed and any repairs/diagnosis that you have performed.

The repair is to replace the pistons and rings. In some cases the bore surface may not have a uniform look to the finish (zebra stripes) as shown below. As a result, some technicians may question whether the engine should be repaired or replaced. After careful evaluation, GM Powertrain has determined that the new pistons and rings will perform correctly in bores that have this appearance so engine replacement should not be necessary. The cylinder bores do not need any machine or honing work performed on them. Refer to the picture below for acceptable surface finishes.

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: vronline
I would stick with 0w or 5w30 Dexos approved synthetic and stop with the snake oil additives.
Especially under warranty.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: vronline
Especially under warranty.

+1

Nice to see from that bulletin that they are looking for better than 1qt/2000 miles rather than the 1qt/1000 like many are talking about. I still think 1qt/2000 is a bit excessive, but 1qt/1000 is a lot of oil. You effectively change the sump on many vehicles over the course of an OCI with that kind of consumption.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Nice to see from that bulletin that they are looking for better than 1qt/2000 miles rather than the 1qt/1000 like many are talking about. I still think 1qt/2000 is a bit excessive, but 1qt/1000 is a lot of oil. You effectively change the sump on many vehicles over the course of an OCI with that kind of consumption.

Trust me, if one of these 2.4L's is in the recall, if it needs rings and pistons updated.. it shouldn't have ANY problem being in this category and drinking oil.
BUT - I will say this... my Wife's 2010 Equinox that has had perfect oil changes and still did have this oil consumption issue - is COMPLETELY FINE since this update.. no real consumption AT ALL since the updated pistons/rings replacement.. that was 40K ago !

BurrWinder

I'm curious too. My wife drives a 2011 Equinox 2.4 that we bought new. It has had absolutely zero oil consumption between changes. I initially followed the OLM and soon afterwards decided on 5K changes. Always been M1 5w30 other than factory fill, which I left until OLM said change. My switch to 5K change intervals was motivated by reading info on GDI engines in general and fuel dilution concerns, though so far this one seems fine.

Originally Posted By: CR94
What did GM get wrong with the original pistons and rings?

While my info does not give a complete answer to that question, it seems to be a combination of poor/weak piston rings and oil control rings/spreaders and maybe poor piston sizing ? The ones that we do here, per the bulletin, just require a quick inspection of the cylinder bore for major faults and then they are just wiped down and placed back in service. No honing or other corrective measures are used at all in the repair, 95% of the time..

And the new components completely solve the issue in our experience - maybe 30-40 cars worth of jobs ?

BurrWinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back