What DVR to record HDTV do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
I have had a TiVo roamio for a couple years now with nothing but an attic mounted antenna. We pay the $14.95 a month for guide service which allows you to see programming several weeks out. I like the TiVo because we can also stream Netflix and other streaming services through the DVR. Best decision ever was dropping expensive pay TV for the TiVo and Netflix

This is exactly what I did. The odd thing about the Roamio model is that even after you finish the one year commitment you still cannot purchase the lifetime guide option. So, you pay 14.95/month indefinitely. Without the guide option you can't do most of the DVR stuff that you want. TiVo's lifetime option costs around $300 so the Roamio may not end up being as good a deal as I thought. But, that combined with Netflix IS a lot less than what I was paying for Dish Network previously. ($25/month v. $75/month).

I wonder if anyone has turned a PC into an effective TV management tool using something like Windows Media Center.

Tablo has an excellent guide and is a Canadian product.
It also is only 4.99/mo or $150 for lifetime.

It has all the same functions as described in this thread.

I also have sling for $19.99 for all the cable channels.

total out of pocket now is 21.34 after tax.

Of course that doesnt include internet cost but I would have that even without TV.

Channel Masters DVR+ guide is free and works just like your cable box. Yes, you can also subscribe to Sling if you wish.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I'm only a tad concerned about the effects on streaming service pricing that a pullback on net neutrality might have. The new FCC chairman isn't a fan. For the larger services, like Netflix, Direct TV, HBO, etc. it may be nothing, but I have been suspecting that the cost of video streaming could increase in some areas if ISP's are allowed to charge video providers more for bandwidth.

In addition-ComCast is rolling out across the country 1TB/monthly data caps.

AS ATT does now, I suspect if net neutrality was repealed that would not be. Maybe :eek:) once something takes hold, like government, it never goes away, except we have TWC Spectrum and GOOGLE FIBER with no caps as competition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
I use Windows Media Center exclusively. I have 2 HDHomeRunPrimes (with Comcast supplied CableCards) and 2 HDHomeRun Duals (OTA). The PC is only the server in my setup. It is not connected to a TV. I use Xbox 360's as set top boxes. They are all connected to my gigabit home network that extends out to my detached garage and my mother's house 2000' away.

This setup has been flawless for two years now. I save a good chunk just in cable box fees (I'll never pay those again!).

I'm having a heck-of-a-time with WMC on W7 Pro. I'm interested in hearing about how you configured yours, which OS you're using, which TV guide you're using and what, if any, problems you encountered in setting up the networking between WMC and your Xbx.

Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back