Japanese vs American cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an asian male, 33 years old and growing up, ALL my family members always had Honda's or Toyota's. Famous youtube mechanics like Scotty Kilmer loves Toyotas and Eric The Car Guy loves his Honda's. Yes, I've seen Eric's video of Domestic vs Imports, and I do agree that for the most part vehicles are made from all over now. But I guess when I think of the badge Toyota I think Japanese (Japan), I see Chevy I think GM (America).

I wanted to get a feel for how people felt on this forum today. Does that mindset or theory or FACT, still prove correct today?

GF's lease is up soon and I'm looking at buying an older vehicle/SUV that doesn't require car payments. I see Honda and Toyota with 200k+ miles and I don't really bat an eye at looking at them but the GF (Caucasian) FREAKS OUT. Even my friend Justin (caucasian) who loves japanese motorcycles, when we looked at a 2003 Honda Element didn't want to buy it due to it having 223K miles and his exact words were "HOLY SH*T, it's got a quarter of a million miles man!" I replied, 'dude, it's a Honda.'

Am I crazy? I mean, I'm not going to believe that every Japanese car is built equal and treated the same by every owner. But are they just still better or has the playing field evened out since 2000+?

Thanks guys/girls!

I just recently went through the search process looking for a reliable "beater" and imho the used car market still perceives japanese cars more reliable than their american counterparts. Take two cars that are of similar starting value when new with one being a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry and the other being a Ford or Chevy sedan of similar size such as the Ford Fusion. My opinion is that people vote with their wallet and when both cars have 150k + miles on them the Accord or Camry will sell for quite a bit more.

Yes, I know resale value does not a perfect marker of whether the mindset that japanese cars are more reliable but generally speaking the two are related. Right or wrong, used cars that scare people with 150k + miles include BMW, Mini, Range Rover etc. not only because of their expensive repair costs but their reliability is also perceived to be worse than their japanese competitors. I'm not suggesting that American cars are junk, I'm just stating that the perception out there as reflected in the public's confidence when buying a high mileage used car is that Japanese cars are a better bet.

The history of the individual car is so variable that the country of origin is practically irrelevant. Look at service history and vehicle condition, and pay accordingly.

I agree with both of the answers above. The perception that Japanese vehicles are better still exists. But, if you ended up with a Subaru with the recent oil consumption issue or a Honda with Variable Cylinder Management problem, what good does that perception serve you?

Buying any vehicle over 200,000 miles is going to require a lot of investigation and be priced appropriately.

I got rid of my three previous Japanese vehicles between 150k and 200kmiles and they all felt pretty tired to me, the Subaru and Toyota were also showing some rust even though I am fairly good about washing my cars. My Toyota "RAV6" was not particularly reliable, probably because it was AWD and that is not something that they are known for and have been refining for mass market usage for decades...my wife's FWD Avalon from the same year has been doing a lot better, although it also does not get driven as hard as my vehicles. Never had any real engine trouble in my previous Honda, Toyota, and Subaru, but we'll see how the DIT Subie engine I have now holds up.

My grandson's 2002 Toyota Camry was the worst car my family has ever had. My son had a 1996 Accord(bought it in 1998) when he went to college and it was likewise a lemon. My grandson now drives a Ford Focus and my son, for years drives American. At present he has a 2016 GMC Tahoe. I have driven Fords for 30 years and have never had a bad one.

I watched the videos - the GM basher spoke of the worst period - but I drove US trucks & SUV's and missed the bad cars - one of the first to respond to his video said I was a Honda mechanic during said period and they had me on transmission repair full time. No secret that Toyota makes reliable cars - but the miles you speak of are common for hard working GM trucks - BIL has 400k with wheel bearings being only repair.

Yeah, buying anything with 225K on it probably isn't a great idea unless you're really wanting a sub-$1.5K beater. Buying one with 100K-150K may turn out fine, though---I bought my mother-in-law's '02 Camry 8 years ago with 114K miles on it, and my son is still driving it daily with 250K on it.

In Wisconsin, though, you need to be concerned about rust. I wouldn't buy a local car there with high mileage and years---the salt cancer is in it. Get on AutoTrader, find an example of whatever you want down at a dealership or private sale down south, out of the Salt Belt, and run a CarFax check on its prior ownership, registration, inspection, and accident records. Find a couple of candidates within a reasonable road trip radius, take your wad of cash with you, and go find a bargain.

Originally Posted By: skip029
...when we looked at a 2003 Honda Element didn't want to buy it due to it having 223K miles and his exact words were "HOLY SH*T, it's got a quarter of a million miles man!" I replied, 'dude, it's a Honda.'

I think it mare to do with how well the vehicle is taken care of anymore. I know a divorced single mom with a 2003 Ford Focus with 227,000 miles on it.

Automobiles are becoming a "commodity", like any other item traded on a global scale. Almost anything made is good for 150,000 EASILY (except I still hate expensive European cars). I plan on driving my 2008 F150 to 300,000 miles.

My father is as stubborn as can be. Has owned Fords all of his life and they've given him nothing but trouble. I'll never own a Ford as a result. Maybe I'm just as stubborn.

Last edited:
I think it all depends on how the specific vehicle is treated. I would not buy any vehicle w 220K miles on it because there are many that can be had w 150K miles on them. I suggest do ur research on the SUV u want, it's competitors, common issues, price, etc and see what's fits ur needs and budget. Some people can get really good bargains as they are able wrench on the cars to save money. Some have to pay a shop which can get pricey. FYI, I'm Asian and my wife is white, lol

Originally Posted By: 2civics
My father is as stubborn as can be. Has owned Fords all of his life and they've given him nothing but trouble. I'll never own a Ford as a result. Maybe I'm just as stubborn.
Why did he buy so many of them, then?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: 2civics
Why did he buy so many of them, then?

He's very loyal to the local dealership, for one. He dosn't get much social interaction at all. They treat him very well. Sad to admit that. He's also stated that he feels his problems are about what you'd expect out of any make. He's old school. Born in the 40's and stuck in his ways. I apologize for my original post.

Buying a car >200k is insane. Trust me
whistle.gif

make sure that the GF gets what appeals to her. I'm now driving my wife's old car because apparently she did not like it and never drive it. of course, she selected it but I knew she really wanted a CRV. foolish me....

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Buying a car >200k is insane. Trust me
whistle.gif

Naah. But keep saying that, they stay cheap for me.

Originally Posted By: skip029
I'm an asian male, 33 years old and growing up, ALL my family members always had Honda's or Toyota's. Famous youtube mechanics like Scotty Kilmer loves Toyotas and Eric The Car Guy loves his Honda's. Yes, I've seen Eric's video of Domestic vs Imports, and I do agree that for the most part vehicles are made from all over now. But I guess when I think of the badge Toyota I think Japanese (Japan), I see Chevy I think GM (America).

I wanted to get a feel for how people felt on this forum today. Does that mindset or theory or FACT, still prove correct today?

GF's lease is up soon and I'm looking at buying an older vehicle/SUV that doesn't require car payments. I see Honda and Toyota with 200k+ miles and I don't really bat an eye at looking at them but the GF (Caucasian) FREAKS OUT. Even my friend Justin (caucasian) who loves japanese motorcycles, when we looked at a 2003 Honda Element didn't want to buy it due to it having 223K miles and his exact words were "HOLY SH*T, it's got a quarter of a million miles man!" I replied, 'dude, it's a Honda.'

Am I crazy? I mean, I'm not going to believe that every Japanese car is built equal and treated the same by every owner. But are they just still better or has the playing field evened out since 2000+?

Thanks guys/girls!

In Wisconsin where we are... Yes !

But even then.. I agree.. broaden your horizons a little and see what else is out there for your needs..
Plenty to be had at half those miles that CAN BE good vehicles of many makes. Things are so different now than even 5-10 years ago that cars are still not a GOOD investment, but decent ones will have reliable/usable value much longer than their predecessors..

BurrWinder

Last edited:
My car interest was significantly formed during the 1980s, and from that, I came to hate American cars. My mom had an 82 Monte Carlo that started eating its differential at 40k miles, and not a soul at GM or the dealer would help her. My grandparents' Oldsmobile had a check engine light that was ALWAYS on. My 1979 Mustang with the Cologne V6 had random failures. I had a boss who bought a brand 1983 Thunderbird (the first of the radical re-style), and it was continuously in the shop from week 2. From that point on, I was mostly biased toward Japanese models.

I've done a 180 on this. My 69 Beetle caught on fire 6 weeks after I got it; the fuel line ruptured somehow. My 1981 Accord while reliable overall, did in fact strand me in the rain on a Sunday night in a bad area when the ignition switch gave up the ghost. The same car chipped a valve four years later, requiring me to overhaul the top-end of the engine. My 91 626 was good overall, but its A/C had a catastrophic failure in 2000, at under 100k miles. My 96 Camry, which I've described elsewhere, was bought in 2005 for $5000, with 73k on the odometer. I had to replace drive axles (due to CV joint boot failures), motor mounts, valve cover gasket, radiator, O2 sensor, every single interior door handle, two power window switches, and two exterior handles. The trunk leaked, and the check engine light periodically came on complaining about the catalytic converter efficiency. The 01 Odyssey needed a new transmission every 100k miles, and the power doors never worked right after 40k on the odometer.

None of the American cars I currently own (2011 Town & Country, 2003 Buick LeSabre, and 2000 Isuzu Hombre (S-10)) has needed anything like the magnitude of these repairs on any single car. The worst is the Hombre, which I paid $200 for with 190k on the odometer. It had been sorely neglected (left sitting with windows open all winter, for example). I had to transplant an seats and carpet from a dead S-10 to get rid of interior stink, plus replace some rotors/hubs rusted from the neglect. That said, it never fails to start, and will hit 200k sometime next week. The emissions system still works perfectly, the transmission (4L60E) shifts smoothly, and the scan data shows everything within normal parameters.

My 2011 Town & Country has been a model citizen, and it's up to 103k now. Chrysler replaced one head on the Pentastar V6 under warranty due to a known recall defect in the batch. I upgraded the junky Mopar rotors to aftermarket ones when the factory models warped. That's been the extent of the trouble.

The Buick? It's powered by a 3800 V6 mated to the 4T65E? With modest maintenance, what can go wrong? I had to replace a wheel speed sensor harness due to some corrosion damage (darned PA winters).

I think the Japanese and Koreans both make very capable vehicles, but I can't tell that they're markedly better than Detroit iron.
My own take has been to choose drivetrains that are proven and not-too-stinking-complicated. OHC engines get all the attention these days, but the American OHV designs -- where they're still used -- are typically reliable with excellent driveability. I love the parts availability for them.

If I were buying a car for an investment, I'd probably go for the brands with strong resale. I typically buy used (preferably low mileage), and so the depressed value of the Detroit models works to my advantage. I get decent transportation for less money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back