Mystik JT8 15W50 Semi Syn HDEO - 2014 Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using mystik 15-50 on and off for the last 4 years in my 2012 Softtail Classic. I have also used it in the primary and transmission. HD Formula + is a 50 grade oil without the additive package for a combustion engine. Never any more material on the magnetic drain plugs than using formula +.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Just for the record, that VR1 turns in good numbers on the Harleys and the older Harleys didnt call for an HEDO if not using HD oil.

^ I just checked my manual for my 95 Electraglide Ultra Evolution and my 09 Superglide FXDC TC and both recommend HDEO oil { cf4,cg4,ch4,AND ci4} if Harley oil isn't available and to change back to Harley oil when possible. Having said this, I have used the Valvoline Vr1 conventional for years with great results.

Thanks, wow, all this time I was under the impression (from reading posts) that the older bikes just called for API gasoline oils such as SG and more recently now C rated oils.
I certainly will not make that remark again! I learned something today. *L*

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
I have been using mystik 15-50 on and off for the last 4 years in my 2012 Softtail Classic. I have also used it in the primary and transmission. HD Formula + is a 50 grade oil without the additive package for a combustion engine. Never any more material on the magnetic drain plugs than using formula +.

You know, I have so much of the Mystik that I will never use within what I think is a reasonable time period that I was considering using it in the Transmission and Primary in which I now only use Formula+. I most likely will not, but who knows, maybe, maybe not but nice to hear some feedback on it.
I know it will not damage anything simply because besides Formula+ for the Transmission and Primary, Harley allows their regular Synthetic 20/50 Engine oil to be used.
Thanks ..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

You know, I have so much of the Mystik that I will never use within what I think is a reasonable time period that I was considering using it in the Transmission and Primary in which I now only use Formula+. I most likely will not, but who knows, maybe, maybe not but nice to hear some feedback on it.
I know it will not damage anything simply because besides Formula+ for the Transmission and Primary, Harley allows their regular Synthetic 20/50 Engine oil to be used.
Thanks ..

As do most motorcycle branded oils say it's o.k. for transmission, primary, and engine. No special magical additive in a engine oil that would make it o.k. in transmissions and primary. There are additives in gas engine oil that are not accepted in the primary but you hear and see people using gas engine oils in there shared sump engines. LOL

Yup, I hear ya!

and .. yes, actually, Primary and Trans specific oil has less additives because no combustion takes place. More or less I think HD Primary+ is more oil then additives. Ill stick with it though, for now, anyway.

Last edited:

Thanks ..

It's probably fine in the primary. I use Rotella T myself. But I've ALWAYS used gear lube in the trans of all my Harley's going all the way back to 1981. I know HD says 20w-50 is ok, but that's a fairly recent thing. They used to specify gear lube and to me it makes sense. Transmission gears shear lubricant, and gear lube resists shearing.

Based on what I see people putting in their transmissions it seems like anything will work!

Anyway, I still use the plain jane recommended HD Formula+ in my 14 RK, @ 2 quarts every 10,000 miles or so between the Trans and Primary it is just pennies on the dollar and actually cheaper then some of the stuff others use.

Nothing against someone using the HEDO in the Primary though, just what I do in my very hot spring.summer,fall climate.
Lots of comments from people who run the Formula+ that their compensators seem to last forever (almost) whether or not that is true, I will find out, plan on keeping this bike a long time, LOVE IT. ... unless I replace it some year with a 2018/19 M8 RK. :eek:)

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I go to a local Rural King store near here on occasion. I`m going to see if they have it in stock on the shelves.

My Rural King didn`t have it in the store.

Originally Posted By: blueglide88
pwr2tow said:

It's probably fine in the primary. I use Rotella T myself. But I've ALWAYS used gear lube in the trans of all my Harley's going all the way back to 1981. I know HD says 20w-50 is ok, but that's a fairly recent thing. They used to specify gear lube and to me it makes sense. Transmission gears shear lubricant, and gear lube resists shearing.

Yes, Im sure its fine using the Mystik too, the Formula+ is a simple mineral oil and the Mystik is beefed up mineral oil. The reason the beefed up part isnt need in the transmission and primary is because no combustion takes place.

Im not from the same camp in using gear lube in a transmission.
I know A LOT of people do and that is fine, me, I follow the manual just as I would my expensive cars. Some gear shift cars call for gear lube, some call for a special manual transmission oil and many, many call for regular motor oil.
I just select what the manufacturer calls for, my 2014 HD calls for motor oil in the trans..

pwr2tow said:

Yes, Im sure its fine using the Mystik too, the Formula+ is a simple mineral oil and the Mystik is beefed up mineral oil. The reason the beefed up part isnt need in the transmission and primary is because no combustion takes place.

I know A LOT of people do and that is fine, me, I follow the manual just as I would my expensive cars. Some gear shift cars call for gear lube, some call for a special manual transmission oil and many, many call for regular motor oil.
I just select what the manufacturer calls for, my 2014 HD calls for motor oil in the trans..

I'm sure that gear oil or motor oil will be good enough to make our transmissions last at least until one of us buys a new Milwaukee Eight
smile.gif

Last edited:
It also calls for diesel oil in a 4 stroke motor cycle, most take what the manufacturer says with a grain of salt. Never had a trans seal leak with gear oil in it. I had it with Harley's motor oil do it.,,,

pwr2tow said:

I'm sure that gear oil or motor oil will be good enough to make our transmissions last at least until one of us buys a new Milwaukee Eight
smile.gif

Ha! Yes!
But ... you know ... I told my wife the 14 Road King will most likely be my last and Im going to keep it forever ... :eek:)
I kind of meant it ... at the time. Yes, now that new M8 power plant. I hear it is awesome but Im still enjoying my RK way to much to even want one (and expend a bunch more money) yet again who knows... I have the good sense to NOT take one for a ride, though I suspect the people with the SG, RG will appreciate the extra power more being the RK is lighter then the others.
I am hooked on the Road King, if replaced it will be another with the M8, right now though, no compelling reason for me, love my bike as it is right now!

I mail order mine, we have no stores in our state.
$25 for a TWO gallon container plus shipping = less then $40 for 2 gallons.

Here is the link, the photo on Rural Kings Website is WAY old, container is silver and modern looking.

Mystik JT8 2 Gallons = $25 plus ship, click here.

Actual current photo of the oil, click

Was on "PepBoys" website and they had 2gal. jugs on sale $24.99 . Have a store a mile away and they don`t have it in the store but they had some of the Mystikjt8 15-50 in one gallon bottles that had been around in the storeroom for awhile in the white jugs. They sold me a couple of these at $12.50 each. Will change my oil in the Road Star in a couple months and check it out.

Yes, first time I tried Mystik 15/50 I bought a 2 gallon container in Oreillys and it was the old white bottle, which was fine and used it for two changes, posted the UOAs here too.
I think the last time they packaged it in that color bottle was 2013/14 at the latest. The current new stuff are in nice silver bottles.
Not sure if you read my past posts but Im over stocked on the stuff, ordered 4 gallons last late summer in 15, but they sent it from two locations and I ended up getting 8 gallons.
Rural King is a very reputable online retailer and highly recommend them, first time in my life I am buying oil on line and first time every ordering from Rural King and its been excellent. Its almost boring being happy with an oil ... :eek:(

(not that it matters but I got in the habit of shaking the bottles of oil real good before filling the engine) Mainly because now I am using 2 gallon containers, but whatever, find myself doing it all the time now.

Last edited:
Yes, first time I tried Mystik 15/50 I bought a 2 gallon container in Oreillys and it was the old white bottle, which was fine and used it for two changes, posted the UOAs here too.
I think the last time they packaged it in that color bottle was 2013/14 at the latest. The current new stuff are in nice silver bottles.
Not sure if you read my past posts but Im over stocked on the stuff, ordered 4 gallons last late summer in 15, but they sent it from two locations and I ended up getting 8 gallons.
Rural King is a very reputable online retailer and highly recommend them, first time in my life I am buying oil on line and first time every ordering from Rural King and its been excellent. Its almost boring being happy with an oil ... :eek:(

(not that it matters but I got in the habit of shaking the bottles of oil real good before filling the engine) Mainly because now I am using 2 gallon containers, but whatever, find myself doing it all the time now.

Yep alarmguy, I`ve read your posts. That`s one of the reasons I`m going to use it. I know that the O`REillys Mystik oil is a few year old but it should be ok . My Road Star takes exactly 4qts. per change so I`m good for 2 changes. I`m thinking about ordering a new 2gal. jug online to have some more back-up. Like I posted earlier I`m close to a Rural King sure wish they would stock it on the shelves. Would save me another 8-10 bucks on shipping.Not that big a deal and won`t stop me from buying it though.Sounds like your set for awhile though :)

Yup, Im set for a while, Im even thinking about trying it in the transmission, maybe, maybe not. Trans is only a quart so its not going to help using up all I have on hand. Then again, another quart can be used in the primary ... *L*
I guess the only boring part is I know what oil I will be using over the next few years, then again, its just oil.

.. yes, without question, what you bought is still good.

I've been using this oil in my H-D motor/primary for a few years now. Thinking of giving it a try in my Yamaha FZ-09. Not sure of shearing durability but should be good for 2.5-3k miles.

Originally Posted By: troop
I've been using this oil in my H-D motor/primary for a few years now. Thinking of giving it a try in my Yamaha FZ-09. Not sure of shearing durability but should be good for 2.5-3k miles.

Me too. What year and any modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back