Taking care of animals....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been taking care of my mothers animals now going on 7 weeks. ( she is in a nursing home)
It is a bummer because they don't understand what's going on. I would have taken
the Australian Shepherd home with me but she is house bound because of leg injuries and
can no longer get in a car. I'm taking great care of them but it bothers me....

They have never been left before as my folks really never traveled.
Anybody else dealing with this?

Yes, that is a sad situation. Will your mother be in the nursing home permanently? If so, I would try to re-home the animals whether it be with you or someone you trust.

No there isn't. I go see them early in the AM and then in the afternoon and at 5PM I stay with them for several hours.
The Aussie requires many medications and special care. I was told she looks better than ever. Funny thing is my mother isn't really freaking out like I thought. I guess she is in survival mode herself. Thanks!
BTW- my mother will be there maybe another month or so I'm hoping- hoping......

Try to do a good job with lots of contact. Australian Shepherds are very smart. In fact they'll help you learn how to play with them but they really do need someone and something to do. Teaching them tricks is a lot of fun and they will be patient with you.

A neighbor has one and he comes over to visit my 5 dogs and my almost dog and of course the new kitty we rescued. The kitty is teaching us how to address and pet a kitty. The neighbor's AS Rocky is a real character. He not only opens the latch on our backyard gate but he closes it and the latch before coming over to the house. Rocky likes to go for a car ride and he'll get the keys to the 4Runner and bring them to me, hint, hint.

Birds, cats x3, horses-now boarded, chickens and that kind of stuff......( small farm)
and a Corgi

Your absolutely spot on. The Aussies are brilliant animals and that is what bothers me.
I bought the dog ( Georgia) for my folks and she was a rescue and became my dads number one buddy. Dad passed last November and the dog was just starting to adjust and then this. She is so smart that she looks at me and wonders what's going on. No it's not me- its the truth. Even at 8 years old you are right- she picks up anything you teach her in days. I guess all I can do is take care of them and hopefully things will get back on track.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Try to do a good job with lots of contact. Australian Shepherds are very smart. In fact they'll help you learn how to play with them but they really do need someone and something to do. Teaching them tricks is a lot of fun and they will be patient with you.

A neighbor has one and he comes over to visit my 5 dogs and my almost dog and of course the new kitty we rescued. The kitty is teaching us how to address and pet a kitty. The neighbor's AS Rocky is a real character. He not only opens the latch on our backyard gate but he closes it and the latch before coming over to the house. Rocky likes to go for a car ride and he'll get the keys to the 4Runner and bring them to me, hint, hint.

This is the Aussie. Pictures- 1'st day I got her and from a few years ago. She was supposed to me 45 pounds or so. Ended up being far more than double that.

What an adorable pup. Give her a pat on the head for me
smile.gif

You are performing a great service for your Mom and her pets. I hope all be well.

Beautiful dog. While on vacation in virginia, stopped by a pet store and fell for an australian shepherd..wish i could have taken him home...but I have 2 cats now and they are contained to my basement..pets are work no matter what and with an almost newborn im debating getting rid of the cats, no time or energy for them..but i feel bad..and I think thats how its happening for you. I think the best bet is to find a good home for those pets. I know some will disagree..but humans over pets and yourself over your pets. If you had to bring this up it means you need to find them all a new home and keep living your life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I have been taking care of my mothers animals now going on 7 weeks. ( she is in a nursing home)
It is a bummer because they don't understand what's going on. I would have taken
the Australian Shepherd home with me but she is house bound because of leg injuries and

How old is your Mom's dog? What sort of leg injury does the dog have? Perhaps it's treatable?

smile.gif

Ed

When we bring a creature into our family we feel an obligation not only to care for it but to be sure the creature will always be cared for. The look on a creature's face when it's warm bed and food are not there any longer is hard to take, and we won't allow that to happen.

Last edited:
She is 8 years old. Sorry but it is her knee. When I look at dogs I don't see knees but we have spent thousands of dollars- many and had several opinions. One bad one made the other bad and the dog was in prime health and rather amazingly strong and graceful. We had an ice storm and she was running crazy like to the deck and hit the steps and her back legs went right through the back of the steps. That did it and as time went on it got worse. Vets said that in this situation there wasn't much we could do but meds and special shots and we have done all of those and continue to do so. She was taught to ride in a car and now she can't even get into one. Its like she is paralyzed at the hip- she spins on her bottom to move about. We have had many dogs and never anything like this. I think that is what depresses me. She is full of spirit and happy though.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

How old is your Mom's dog? What sort of leg injury does the dog have? Perhaps it's treatable?

smile.gif

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back