Unconventional Steering Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And I thought VW steering wheels with the flat bottom were bad!

What's wrong with a flat-bottomed steering wheel???

My favorite "unconventional" steering wheel:

Very awkward to steer and too thick.

My 2004 VW had a perfect steering wheel. Just the right thickness and it was round. And in the right position, the 2013 Beetle is way too high, and if you lower it then it covers the speedometer.

Not quite a frying pan...

1986-Subaru-XT-Turbo-Coupe-For-Sale-Dash-Steering-Wheel.jpg

Always a classic...

31894550004_large.jpg

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
.. and then there's is Maserati.. thing..

Maserati%20Boomerang%20Concept.jpg

What on earth...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And I thought VW steering wheels with the flat bottom were bad!

What's wrong with a flat-bottomed steering wheel???

What's good about it? Any time you have to move more than a quarter turn you have the round part down below.

I'm not really bothered by it, I'm just not sure what it does "good". I guess if you are in the habit of resting your fingers at the very bottom of the wheel it feels good?

Originally Posted By: supton
What's good about it? Any time you have to move more than a quarter turn you have the round part down below.

I'm not really bothered by it, I'm just not sure what it does "good". I guess if you are in the habit of resting your fingers at the very bottom of the wheel it feels good?

Because racecar. It looks cool.

Also gives you a bit more room when sliding into the car.

Assuming you parked with the steering wheel straight ahead. I usually leave it where I last used it--but then again, my steering wheels are all round.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: supton

Because racecar. It looks cool.

Also gives you a bit more room when sliding into the car.

Then you need a car that moves the steering wheel up when getting in/out of the car. My Mercedes does that. I'm not sure why they call a 3 spoke steering wheel a sport steering wheel and the regular 4 spoke one is the regular steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
]Then you need a car that moves the steering wheel up when getting in/out of the car. My Mercedes does that. I'm not sure why they call a 3 spoke steering wheel a sport steering wheel and the regular 4 spoke one is the regular steering wheel.

Yep, have it in the Phaeton. Wheel moves up and in, seat moves down and back.

Unfortunately this is not a feature available on many "sports" cars... For obvious reasons.

I'm guessing the airbag or a switch failed in his steering wheel, and repairing it would be more money than the car is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back