Toyota 2GR-FE (3.5L) Water Pump Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some advice. My 2008 Lexus Rx350 AWD water Pump started leaking. This my second Toyota product with this engine where the water pump gave out before 60K miles, the first being on a Lexus ES350 I used to own. I know these were a common problem on these engines across Toyota/ Lexus lines.

Should I replace the thermostat while at it? Does the thermostat come off during this repair? If so, I'm thinking of replacing it. If it doesn't need to come off, I'm thinking of keeping the old one on as it shows no signs of problems and aren't known for any issues. Is my logic correct? Also, if I do replace, I would buy the Toyota OEM or the Aisin thermostat. Some sellers are selling these with the gasket seal while others aren't. Do I need the new gasket (Toyota part # 90916-03075).

In terms of the water pump, I was thinking, the Aisin pump, maybe a Beck/Arnley even though it's a hit and miss on what will arrive or the Airtex (Part # AW6047) which Rockauto is selling for $34.99. This is the least expensive pump they sell but looking at previous threads, it seems it's one of the preferred brands on here. Why is it half the cost of the Aisin or Beck/Arnley?

I will also need to purchase Coolant. How many jugs do I need? I know Zerex and Pentosin sells the equivalent. Should I consider it or stick to the Toyota OEM?

I'll probably replace the serpentine belt also if it shows signs of cracking. I don't intend to keep this car long so I don't want to throw many parts at it but at the same time don't want the cheapest route like the Duralast line from Autozone.

I know these are notorious for spitting oil out of the VVT-i oil cooler line also which I will have the mechanic check while under the car. Lexus will cover it free of charge under their campaign until April 30th according to the service advisor I've called at Lexus.

Most shops charge anywhere between $1000-$1500 to replace the water pump with dealers being at the top of that range. I found a mechanic that will do it for $200 with my supplied parts. He worked at Lexus for sometime before going on his own so he knows these vehicles. I assume $200 is a great price for labor considering most shops want to charge you 5 hours of labor for this job.

Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Don't use Airtex they are 100% pure garbage as is their fuel pumps. Aisin or OE only. Toyota coolant only, it should be the pink Super Long Life, dont risk contaminating it with some other coolant.
Modern coolants can be funny and may not play well together and cause some real serious issues unless the system is totally flushed and clean. Not worth the price of a couple of gallons of coolant IMO.

I would personally replace thermostat and gasket with genuine Toyota while it's apart, however considering your plans to sell the car no need to change it, if it has to come apart to change the pump I'd at least replace the gasket even if you reuse the thermostat itself. I also vote for genuine Toyota or Aisin water pump, GMB is the only aftermarket brand I've ever had any good luck with but that was before they moved manufacturing to China so I can't speak to the quality of their newer stuff. I'd also use genuine Toyota pink coolant, shouldn't need much considering you can reuse the coolant that comes out with such low miles especially if you're selling the car.

I would absolutely avoid airtex pumps I've had terrible luck with them.

$200 seems like a killer deal for labor to me.

I can think of reasons to change it and not to change it. If its got 80K or more on it I usually change it if I have to remove it otherwise I leave well enough alone.
Over the years I have seen many new thermostats fail within a short period of time, if they make it a few months of regular driving they will usually go the distance. Honestly my mind is not made up on this issue. In any case OE only, aftermarket quality has gone down the toilet over the years, once very good brands are now not much better than scrap metal.

Toyota pink coolant has had many customers who claim it causes leaks in their cooling system. Personally I had an 88 Toyota pickup with the 22RE. I changed the water pump because I was changing out the timing chain. I could not get the new water pump to stop leaking with the Toyota pink coolant. Only after my experience with the Toyota pink coolant possibly causing my problem, did I learn that many others have similar experiences.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
What's your opinion on the thermostat? Change it or keep the old one on?

Replace. Only makes sense while you're in there.

Stick to the OEM or Aisin pump - they're the same. If you're feeling lucky, you could take your chances with NPW, a Japanese aftermarket brand. GMB pumps aren't what they used to be, and Airtex === ASC === made in China. ASCs are also sold as Duralast pumps.

Toyota pink is fine. Why mix things up? You can also use Zerex Asian Vehicle, and CCI now sells the pink SLLC under their own GC label, but it seems like it's hard to find unless you have access to Worldpac.

Last edited:
I've done these before. It isn't easy, but here's what you do.

Use a Genuine Toyota pump, not an Aisin pump. The Toyota pump has been updated and the newer ones are more durable. It is unknown if the Aisin pumps have been updated as well.

You will need 2 gallons of Super Long Life Pink. I used an "Airlift" type device to refill the system, so I am not sure if there are any bleed valves; you will need to consult the service manual for that info. But bleeding the system can be tricky so this is something to watch out for.

Always replace the thermostat on a 2gr-fe when you replace the pump. It is difficult to get to all of the t-stat housing bolts when it is still mounted on the vehicle.

This job really isn't that difficult, but it isn't easy. You may want to consider doing it yourself. Access is a bit tight though. On the last one I did, I unbolted the passenger/front lower engine mount and the upper dogbone (with bracket). Lift the engine up with a floor jack until you have enough clearance to remove the pump from the car. On a RX, you may also need to remove the windshield cowl due to the way that the engine sits (this will allow you to lift the engine higher). It took me 2.5 hours to do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back