1996 Nissan 300ZX,GTX 20W50,3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
UOA looks great. I'd take my personal info off the UOA though.

It's not his. Kerry Group is the organization behind the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum study that Gena Fishbeck @ Pennzoil has shared with us here.

... Having said that, these UOA results are amazing. I'm floored by how low the wear metal numbers are.

Lots of cabs never used 20w-50, and stuck with OEM recommendations.
wink.gif

Yep the Crown Vic cabs here used Motorcraft 5w20 syn-blend. What oil was the car originally spec'd for? I have 13 quarts of Synpower 20w50 that I'd like to use up or sell.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Y_K
20W-50, that's what cabbies and livery drivers knew all along. Where is Mr Caterham?

Outside doing a -30C start.

Doubtful, the lowest we've seen this winter is around -20C
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'll add some personal notes to the uoa. It's my only car,my daily driver. Multiple daily short trips,long extended high speed 80-90mph highway runs. I've had it a little over 15 years. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it,I'm the second owner. My first oil used was Syntec Blend 10W30 (and a Fram Orange Can of Delight) the day I bought it and brought it home. Then a whole collage of oils (haha I get bored easy). Mostly Mobil 1 10W30 or 15W50. I used Royal Purple 20W50 for awhile. Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage for a pretty long time. GTX 20W50,Edge 5W50,then Edge 10W40. When Walmart discontinued Edge 10W40,I went back to GTX 20W50. My current fill is Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 High Mileage.

The GTX 20W50 looks to have a great add pack (moly and zddp).
Interested to know how the different grades/brands "felt" in the engine.I would think the 20-50 "felt" a little sluggish.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I'll add some personal notes to the uoa. It's my only car,my daily driver. Multiple daily short trips,long extended high speed 80-90mph highway runs. I've had it a little over 15 years. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it,I'm the second owner. My first oil used was Syntec Blend 10W30 (and a Fram Orange Can of Delight) the day I bought it and brought it home. Then a whole collage of oils (haha I get bored easy). Mostly Mobil 1 10W30 or 15W50. I used Royal Purple 20W50 for awhile. Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage for a pretty long time. GTX 20W50,Edge 5W50,then Edge 10W40. When Walmart discontinued Edge 10W40,I went back to GTX 20W50. My current fill is Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 High Mileage.

The GTX 20W50 looks to have a great add pack (moly and zddp).
Interested to know how the different grades/brands "felt" in the engine.I would think the 20-50 "felt" a little sluggish.

Non-Turbo Z32's aren't really all that quick... I know cause I have a 1990 Automatic LOL But it's a beautiful car nonetheless, and a twin turbo swap isn't impossible.

The previous owners of my Z said they always used GTX. Curious if GTX 20w50 is the best bang-for-the-buck oil for our VG30DE's.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
[/quote]Interested to know how the different grades/brands "felt" in the engine.I would think the 20-50 "felt" a little sluggish.

Yeah,it definitely felt a little sluggish with the 20W50. The 10W30 Pennzoil Platinum I have in it right now feels incredible,especially once my car is good and piping hot. I just got back from a 200 mile highway drive (kept my speed between 75 and 80mph,engine running a steady 3000rpm) and honestly the engine's smoothness,power,and responsiveness is the best it's ever been. I've tried about every "common" 10W30 available,conventional and synthetic,and the Pennzoil Platinum's smoothness is really incredible. I'm sure I probably sound like an oil commercial haha but I've always been "in tune" with my machines and can tell even the slightest differences when I change things around. I didn't really notice the sluggishness with the thicker oils though until the engine was good and hot.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Non-Turbo Z32's aren't really all that quick... I know cause I have a 1990 Automatic LOL But it's a beautiful car nonetheless, and a twin turbo swap isn't impossible.

The previous owners of my Z said they always used GTX. Curious if GTX 20w50 is the best bang-for-the-buck oil for our VG30DE's.

These cars definitely aren't low rpm torque monsters. You have to get into the upper rpm range before the power kicks in. These cars have the characteristics of a two-stroke dirt bike. Once you hit 4-5000 rpm the power really lets loose and the car will launch like a rocket. You should post some pictures of yours,I would love to see it.

Interesting,thanks. I can hear/feel the vis differences in my 2.4 Accord as well. Running Edge 0-20 now and can tell it's thicker/more quiet than the dealer fill.

I feel with motor oil there's a "happy medium". You don't want too thin (lose protection) and you don't want too thick (will cause drag),but you want to have the perfect balance of adequate protection without causing resistance.

Im not doubting you, I am doubting this UOA, something isnt right at Blackstone, looks more like a VOA of some other oil.
I do wish it was true, I might consider an oil like this in my motorcycle.

It just doesnt look like Castrol GTX. I tried looking up some others because there just seems to be to much magnesium and boron for GTX in your UOA, almost borderline HEDO.

I hope I am wrong because it would look nice and robust then, also those wear numbers they are just too low.
I dont know, hate to be the kill joy here, hope I am wrong.

Click here for an older GTX UOA showing almost no Boron and Mg

Ah [censored] *L* I see the oil in the UOA link is almsot from 2005, anyway, woul dlove to see another VOA or UOA on this oil to confirm your excellent report.

Last edited:
Yeah,it definitely felt a little sluggish with the 20W50. The 10W30 Pennzoil Platinum I have in it right now feels incredible,especially once my car is good and piping hot. I just got back from a 200 mile highway drive (kept my speed between 75 and 80mph,engine running a steady 3000rpm) and honestly the engine's smoothness,power,and responsiveness is the best it's ever been. I've tried about every "common" 10W30 available,conventional and synthetic,and the Pennzoil Platinum's smoothness is really incredible. I'm sure I probably sound like an oil commercial haha but I've always been "in tune" with my machines and can tell even the slightest differences when I change things around. I didn't really notice the sluggishness with the thicker oils though until the engine was good and hot.

Happy to hear you're feeling/hearing the difference already with the Pennzoil Platinum - looking forward to seeing your UOA results! - The Pennzoil Team

These cars definitely aren't low rpm torque monsters. You have to get into the upper rpm range before the power kicks in. These cars have the characteristics of a two-stroke dirt bike. Once you hit 4-5000 rpm the power really lets loose and the car will launch like a rocket. You should post some pictures of yours,I would love to see it.

I thought I had a few pictures posted here from a few years ago. She's definitely UNDER CONSTRUCTION right now haha. I've been messing with body work and trying to solve a driver side t-top leak, so the body isn't as nice and aesthetically pleasing as when I first got her in 2011.

Also gutted the interior, due to the leak causing a mold/mildew situation inside.

I actually just replaced my rear main seal, and replaced all the exhaust gaskets header to cat-back by Specialty Z. That was fun.

Also, in a related note to your Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 being smooth, I just used 5w20 Pennzoil PurePlus Full Syn High Mileage in my daily driven 2009 Toyota Matrix, and it is definitely smoother feeling in the little 'Yota.

I thought I had a few pictures posted here from a few years ago. She's definitely UNDER CONSTRUCTION right now haha. I've been messing with body work and trying to solve a driver side t-top leak, so the body isn't as nice and aesthetically pleasing as when I first got her in 2011.

Also gutted the interior, due to the leak causing a mold/mildew situation inside.

I actually just replaced my rear main seal, and replaced all the exhaust gaskets header to cat-back by Specialty Z. That was fun.

Also, in a related note to your Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 being smooth, I just used 5w20 Pennzoil PurePlus Full Syn High Mileage in my daily driven 2009 Toyota Matrix, and it is definitely smoother feeling in the little 'Yota.

Specialty Z is a great place to get new old stock oem parts. I have their bronze shifter bushings in my shifter linkage. ConceptZ is another good one. Oem replacement parts for these cars are everywhere thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back