Toyota Profits Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW is certainly in a good position to test your statement, rooflessVW.

The last VW that I really likes was my 79 Scirocco that I purchased new. I liked everything about the car. It did not have a lot of power but the engine was spirited and ran well. The FI was simple and the car really handled well. The 5-speed shifted well and the ratios were well spaced.

I have owned 11 VW bus's and even put a small block Chevy ahead of a Corvair transaxle in it. I was a 58 21 window, kind of rare and expensive today but cheap back then.

It was an 84 Audi 4000 Quattro that was a dream to drive but a nightmare to maintain. It ate tires with alignment that would not stay put and ate water pumps on a regular basis if the dealer replaced it or I did the work. Then there were the electrical problems, bad grounds everywhere. I had to rewire the fuse block and run a separate circuit for the fuel pump. The fuel pump was fragile and I had to use a 20A fuse and when that one blew the circuit would route through a 15 amp fuse. When that one blew it went to 10A and then I would replace the pump. Fun. There were other thing as well like the sunroof failing frequently, taking surgery to change the air filter and having to add ground straps everywhere because otherwise the intermittent open grounds would eat battery's, gauges, interior and exterior lights and alternators. Audi was nice enough in the middle of the unintended acceleration mess to buy it back. Although I enjoyed driving the car and my wife really liked it I spent more time cussing at it then driving it.

So, no more VW/Audi products for me. I switched to an 84 Civic that I purchased new and still drive as a DD today. I've owned lots of cars but tend to keep a DD, too.

So you swore off a company as a whole because of a bad car in 1984? All cars in 1984 sucked, and your Honda could have been just as big of a lemon.

My '89 Audi 80 was the pinnacle of reliability. That thing had changed through so many military hands in Germany that it had every right to be a POS. But it wasn't.

I like VWs more than Toyotas because of the way the feel. However, I prefer the cost of maintaining and repairing most modern Toyotas versus most modern VWs.

My first new car was a VW because my parents had Toyotas and Hondas when I was a teen, and like many teens, I refused to be like my parents.

Sure, VW has stakes in other auto makers, but so does Toyota. They have some share in Daihatsu and Hino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back