Improving car radio reception

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year and a half ago I installed a cheapie mechless head unit (no cd player) in my van. Model is a Pyle PLR34M. It had an aux/USB/SD input, which is what I was looking for, so it worked for me. However, ever since I installed everything, the FM and especially the AM reception has gone way downhill. I live about 20 miles from where most of our local stations broadcast from, and reception is fine there. But if I venture towards the city, it seems that stations turn very 'staticy', and start to pick up other surrounding stations. I made sure that the antenna was inserted into the head unit properly, the scan mode was set to 'local' instead of 'dx/distance'... i also ensured that the antenna amplifier wire was hooked in properly, as my van uses window grid antennas that have a power supply. Those are getting power fine. I remember reading some reviews on this head unit that the reception was poor, but I usually put that down to people not knowing how to install things properly. As far as distance reception, that's roughly the same as it was before... for example, i routinely make a trip to the west side of the state for work. I can almost pinpoint where my usual stations will start to fade out, and that hasn't really changed. The only thing different is that it seems other stations start to fight with that frequency a tad sooner. Do I just need a better head unit?

Did you have a window tint on the window with the antenna grid on it? This will block 70 percent of the reception. Also a USB adapter pluged into the power port near the radio will do crazy things with reception. Ask me,i found out the hard way. 2008 Ford Crown Victoria LX

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Did you have a window tint on the window with the antenna grid on it? This will block 70 percent of the reception. Also a USB adapter pluged into the power port near the radio will do crazy things with reception. Ask me,i found out the hard way. 2008 Ford Crown Victoria LX

It does have the factory tint, but nothing more.

You want the antenna sent to "distant" not "local". Local is just there in case you're underneath the transmitter and it's overloading things.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You want the antenna sent to "distant" not "local". Local is just there in case you're underneath the transmitter and it's overloading things.

FWIW, ive tried both settings with no difference.

Probably just pyle garbage.

There is a reason they are call Pyle.... Pile of ####

Originally Posted By: Rand
Probably just pyle garbage.

There is a reason they are call Pyle.... Pile of ####

hit the nail on the head here. step up to pioneer, kenwood/jvc, sony, or alpine and youll probably solve your issue.

Try hooking up the power antenna wire, even if you don't have a power antenna. Some cars have radio frequency antenna boosters from the factory, and if you don't hook up that wire, reception will be as you've described.

Originally Posted By: Skid
Try hooking up the power antenna wire, even if you don't have a power antenna. Some cars have radio frequency antenna boosters from the factory, and if you don't hook up that wire, reception will be as you've described.

In my OP i mentioned that I already did this.

I just ran a separate ground wire from the head unit chassis to the vehicle body ground. We'll see if this helps.

Could it be that the sensitivity and selectivity of the tuner isn't good to begin with?? By your description, it sounds like it's operated like this since it was installed. Did it work "better" at some point?? I've had low cost electronics where the dx/local switch served more as a mute than effected anything in the tuner section.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
... if I venture towards the city, it seems that stations turn very 'staticy', and start to pick up other surrounding stations. ....

Reads like you are describing classic cross modulation. This is a poorly designed radio receiver, or, built to a price point, or both.

The fix is possibly an antenna with less gain ( or an attenuator ) as the front end in the receiver is overloading, but most likely you will need a better receiver.

This is why, when I was faced with this decision a couple months ago, that I just went Pioneer. It was like $78 vs $20 for the cheapest Walmart special. I figured, that extra $60 was well worth my aggravation; too many bad reviews, or reviews that were altered a few months later when the unit quit. Surprisingly, I think the Pioneer works better than the OEM headunit in my '99 Camry (by whoever made it). And no DX/local switch either.

That said, I ripped a bunch of CD's to a thumbdrive and usually listen to those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back