Add Moly to HDEO? Yeah or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Oh dear. Time for me to eat a big slice of Humble Pie...

You're a good man.
thumbsup2.gif

Is MoS2 present in Liquid Moly not liquid soluble?

How many ppm moly does it add at the recommended rate of 50ml per liter of oil?

Does Liqui Moly also contain boron?

Thanks.

MoS2 is a black, solid, inorganic material. It is not in the least bit oil soluble but it can be dispersed as very fine particles in oil.

MoS2 is roughly 60% (by weight) Molybdenum and 40% Sulphur. 50 mls of 100% PURE MoS2 in 1000 mls of oil would put about 3% (or 30,000 ppm) of Moly into the oil. However the commercial liquid stuff you add to oil is almost certainly MoS2 already suspended in oil. I don't know what concentration they use but if the commercial stuff was 10% MoS2 in oil, then 50 mls is 1000 mls would put 0.3% (or 3,000 ppm) of Moly into the oil.

Not sure if Liqui-Moly contains Boron but I've always thought of Boron's presence in lubricants as being somewhat over-rated.

Be aware that MoS2 in an engine oils acts solely as a solid, plate-shearable lubricant (like graphite does in your vacuum cleaner). It's not an antioxidant and probably not a friction modifier either.

If you want to read a nice little presentation about MoS2, I found this on Google. As someone that's never used MoS2, I found it rather educational (although I still personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!).

http://schaefferoil.de/sheets/praesentationen/factmoly_en.pdf

PS - Thinking about it, one of the things that might bother me about MoS2 use is its impact on sulphated ash. MoS2 does seem to be pretty thermally stable so does 0.5% MoS2 in oil add an extra 0.5% to the ash level? If so this would be significant and although I don't do all girly and weak at the knees about ash levels in oils, too much might give rise to spark plug fouling that that I would be worried about...

Last edited:
Educational, thanks.

Would adding Liqui Moly to Schaeffers 9000 series oil do any good at all?

I hear the above oil has Moly (not sure what MicroMoly is) as well as Penetro in it?

I use their Penetro spray lube, & was wondering if "micromoly" and "penentro" contribute to folks saying how smooth their engine runs on Schaeffer's.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
Educational, thanks.

Would adding Liqui Moly to Schaeffers 9000 series oil do any good at all?

I hear the above oil has Moly (not sure what MicroMoly is) as well as Penetro in it?

I use their Penetro spray lube, & was wondering if "micromoly" and "penentro" contribute to folks saying how smooth their engine runs on Schaeffer's.

I don't know enough about the specifics of Liqui Moly, Schaeffers 9000, MicroMoly & Penetro to comment. I did read some of the published blurb but it all struck me as being pseudoscience-cum-advertising rather than something I could properly relate to.

Yeah I have noticed that ... Seems like they are setting themselves up for deceptive marketing. Although their tests may return better numbers under a lab based test versus what we see in real world.

Agreed. I know if I run my engine without something resembling motor oil, I'm going to be in big trouble. I know that not changing my motor oil will also be problematic. So, there are tangible benefits to using a real motor oil, keeping it topped up, and changing it on occasion. $20 of motor oil here and there certainly can prevent thousands of dollars in repair bills.

Oil additives simply seem to help scam artists get rich and build stadiums, not to mention give them money to promote their products more through fatheads on YouTube or TV automotive programming.

Any modern, certified, fully formulated motor oil, when use as directed, including for this case of a 2007 Ford diesel, is perfectly capable of doing the job on its own. None of the formulators "forgot" to put anything in.

I used to run Liqui Moly MOS2 in my 7.3 powerstroke in the winter and it had the same effect as REV X for easy starts in cold weather. I started my truck at -4 one morning without being plugged and all injectors smoothly fired.

This winter I ran 10w30 Chevron Delo semi-syn I've not added anything to the oil, cold starts without plugins have been good (though I've not tested it at in sub-zero weather).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back