Diesel oil in a gas truck....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD 6.0L 4L80E with 189.XXX miles. When in comes to oil changes im not loyal to one brand of oil but i do always add 1 bottle of Lucas (berate me if you wish lol) and have in every truck ive had. Currently using Castrol GTX HM 10W-30 5 Qts + 1 Qt of Lucas with a Napa gold filter. If you have any experience with Chevy 6.0s you know its very common for them to make noise. Lifter tick, piston slap or whatever you call want to call it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using diesel oil? What are the positives and negatives of using diesel oil? After some research i was leaning towards using DELO 400 LE SAE 15W-40. Any input would be great. One last question. It's that time to service the tranny and rear diff so any fluid recontaminations would be great(have Mag-Hytec pans on both).

Thanks, DH

Mixing Lucas in your new oil is begging for a disaster. All oil makers warn against mixing oil and tehre has been at least on report of catastrophic failure when mixing in Lucas: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4323343/Re:_lucas_ruined_engine?#Post4323343

I'd start looking here. Does it tick without Lucas?

Figured i'd catch some flak for that lol. Ive tried everything from expensive synthetic to cheap dino oil with and without additives with no change. I have buddy who has a 2500hd with a 6.0L and it has probably half the miles i do and it sounds the same. The previous owner bought the truck at 68,000 and bought it from him at 140,000 and he said it sounds the same now as when he bought it. So i guess my question is would running Diesel oil make a difference and/or would it hurt to try?

I'm using Schaeffer's 7000 10w30 (dual rated) in my '85 454 and am very happy. Unless the 15w40 quietens the engine down substantially I think that's unnecessarily thick, especially with a thick oil stabilizer added. A stout 10/30 (with no additional additives) should be all that engine needs unless it has substantial, abnormal wear in which case any measure that quietens it down is a band-aid to the actual problem.

I'd humbly suggest that, upon settling on a new oil, after the first change you run a short change with no Lucas, but a dose of Seafoam or Kreen, and see what it does for it. Chances are very low it will do it any harm that wasn't about to happen, anyway.

Last edited:
Lucas is super thick mineral oil without any additives. It is thickening your oil, and also diluting the important cleaning and anti-wear agents. That's all it does, aside from emptying your wallet. Your oil is doing a worse job cleaning and protecting your engine than it would be without the Lucas.

If you want thicker oil, use a 5w, 10w, or 15w-40 with an API SM/SN rating. The Rotella and Delo options are just fine.

I would try Rotella T5 10W30, that seems to be a good dual rated HDEO-if that doesn't work, Mobil 1 0W40 might be a good choice too. 15W40 would be a last resort, if that doesn't fix it, it's got something major wrong. Skip the Lucas, it's just overpriced liquid goo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Prodakota11
If you have any experience with Chevy 6.0s you know its very common for them to make noise. Lifter tick, piston slap or whatever you call want to call it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using diesel oil? What are the positives and negatives of using diesel oil? After some research i was leaning towards using DELO 400 LE SAE 15W-40. Any input would be great. One last question. It's that time to service the tranny and rear diff so any fluid recontaminations would be great(have Mag-Hytec pans on both).

Thanks, DH

Hi, DH.

I am familiar with the LQ4 6.0L engines. Are you specifically referring to noise on cold start-up? If so, this occurrence is well understood, and solvable, but oil alone won't do it.

Transmission (4L80) - MaxLife ATF. In gallon jugs at Walmart for $17. You'll do a pan drop (with new filter), and then exchange all of fluid via cooler line (w/cheap fitting that's available at local auto parts store):
TransFlush019.jpg

Axle (Semi-Float, 9.5" 14-bolt) - Whatever 75w-90 you'd like. Valvoline SynPower is an inexpensive, quality choice around here.

Dig around the forum, there are a few threads where LOS was sent into the lab for VOA. That is why many here will proclaim that it is nothing more than a heavy weight base oil with nothing beneficial in it. That is all the lab showed.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
I wonder if anybody has done a virgin oil analysis on that Lucas product ?

Yes, it's NOTHING but "Heavy Bright Stock" and has ZERO additives.

Adding it to your oil actually shortens the oil's effective life.

I've never owned a 6.0 Chevy, but all my "Older, All-Iron" V-8's have all been getting Rotella 15W-40 or Super-Tech 15w-40

Originally Posted By: Prodakota11
Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD 6.0L 4L80E with 189.XXX miles. When in comes to oil changes im not loyal to one brand of oil but i do always add 1 bottle of Lucas (berate me if you wish lol) and have in every truck ive had. Currently using Castrol GTX HM 10W-30 5 Qts + 1 Qt of Lucas with a Napa gold filter. If you have any experience with Chevy 6.0s you know its very common for them to make noise. Lifter tick, piston slap or whatever you call want to call it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using diesel oil? What are the positives and negatives of using diesel oil? After some research i was leaning towards using DELO 400 LE SAE 15W-40. Any input would be great. One last question. It's that time to service the tranny and rear diff so any fluid recontaminations would be great(have Mag-Hytec pans on both).

Thanks, DH

There is no negative really because the Delo 400 LE oil, like all "diesel oil" is also gasoline oil.
They carry the Diesel CJ4 rating and the Gasoline SM rating.
SO bottom line, you are using a gasoline API SM oil with the extra API CJ4 ratings of diesel engines. Its the best of all worlds the oil is certified for a whole range of engines and passes MANY more tests.
With the above said I use the SM and CJ4 rating as the normal as stamped on the back of the container.

Maxlife 15w-40 in the summer sounds good. Any hdeo 10w-30 would be a good spring to fall oil also.
My neighbor has a 94 4.0, we have VPB 10w30 and mmo.
My 90 2.5 has only seen sae30 or 15w-40/sae40 blend., it is rearly used and preheated if used.

harvey

Please explain why you feed the need to add the Lucas?

Seems you are loyal to one brand, but feel it is lacking, or you know better 'how an oil should be formulated'

I started using a 'Diesel' engine oil in my (summer use) car years ago, but that was only after learning a little about oil formulation. I don't play chemist.

My truck at work a 2000 GMC 5.3 214K miles refused to make steady oil pressure monday morning first start. It has been noisy on first start of the day since I started driving it seven years ago with 157K on it. Took it over to vehicle maintenance shop, they drained the oil and put in 15W40 shes much quieter on start now and holds about 20 to 25 psi at idle. Good for another 100K LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back