08 & 05 Odyssey High milage,, oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and don't forget the timing belts.
Nothing will turn a good running Honda with belt driven cams into junk as quickly as a failure of the belt. The tensioners and water pump should be replaced at the same time, although a failure of either of these parts might give some warning but would require a repeat of a fairly involved job.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Oh, and don't forget the timing belts.
Nothing will turn a good running Honda with belt driven cams into junk as quickly as a failure of the belt. The tensioners and water pump should be replaced at the same time, although a failure of either of these parts might give some warning but would require a repeat of a fairly involved job.

Yep Timing belt just done last year on both vans, and i will do a tranny drain and fill at the same time i do oil changes for the next 3 Oil changes.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I don't pay much attention to the MM either. I go 5000 miles on conventional oils and 10,000 miles on synthetics.

Dang. You're just making me feel wasteful now. On my 2007 civic, my OCI is 6,0000 miles on valvoline full-synthetic (not the blend). Next oil change, would you recommend I get a UOA and they can tell me if I can take it to 10k?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: amalik
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I don't pay much attention to the MM either. I go 5000 miles on conventional oils and 10,000 miles on synthetics.

Dang. You're just making me feel wasteful now. On my 2007 civic, my OCI is 6,0000 miles on valvoline full-synthetic (not the blend). Next oil change, would you recommend I get a UOA and they can tell me if I can take it to 10k?

No, I would not recommend a UOA. They are imperfect, as are the MM. It does not knows what oil, synthetic or otherwise, you are using. They assume conventionals.

Yes, I know some UOA vendors sponsor this site, but I am more than happy to use my tons and tons of anecdotal evidence to know that 10K is easily achievable with a quality synthetic (except in some rare incredibly severe service application). In fact Mobil 1 says their oil is good for 15K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back