Castrol/Nexcel 90 second oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
and how do you add oil if your car uses some?

Will the engine even have a dipstick?!? It had better!

If there was no fill cap (unlikely), you could draw in oil through the "fresh air" tube for the PCV.

I see there are versions for both "dry sump" and "wet sump" possibilities. It'll likely be too expensive to entertain the idea.

Last edited:
As companies look for more and more ways to transform traditionally cheap and simple operations into proprietary and expensive operations, this does not surprise me.

They want to sell electronic overpriced garbage like everyone else. Selling a plastic jug of liquid is just too easy.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
As companies look for more and more ways to transform traditionally cheap and simple operations into proprietary and expensive operations, this does not surprise me.

They want to sell electronic overpriced garbage like everyone else. Selling a plastic jug of liquid is just too easy.

An oil change will cost $400, and your also carrying around 10 lbs of extra stuff on your car. And like printer cartridges, every brand will have its own part. And just when some companies spring up to "recharge" your Nexcel, they change the format for the next model.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Isn't the Aston Martin Vulcan supposed to use this system?

It looks like that from the pictures, and it also looks like that cell he's changing out is made of carbon fiber! How can this be cheaper than a typical change?

I think the technology has value. It can succeed if Castrol get it right, mainly if it's open source / licensed at attractive prices.

The typical bitoger is not going to find value in the technology, but bitog is not the target market for this invention.

In Europe, oil changes for luxury cars are probably much more than the $100+ they are here. DIY is difficult enough for most people that they won't attempt it and even if they could there are logistical considerations eg oil and filter disposal,

Since adoption of any technology usually puts downward pressure on prices, and at the end of they day, an oil change is a commodity, I can see the price and value proposition making this attractive if Castrol can reach a critical mass.

I'm sure it'll flop. This is an example of reinventing the wheel.

" Nexcel allows most engines to circulate 2 fewer quarts of oil (level and quality monitors tell the unit when to meter spare oil from the reservoir into the sump so there’s always enough"

So oil changes will need to be more frequent due to the reduced quantity. That's brilliant.

If they're so worried about conserving, why not just manufacture most of their products from recycled stocks? I don't see how a silly modular system is going to conserve crude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back