PLUS SIZE ZERO 195/70R14 TIRE CONVERSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camry 1997 Takes 195/70R14. Never done this before so I'm asking for an ELI5.

1-Needs new tires and I'ld like to know if it's possible to install wider tires but keep the same size 14 rims, and if so what sizes will fit without issues/interference? Or if anyone has done the same what sizes did you fit w/o issues?

2-Using a conversion calc it shows a column for diameter in (+) and (-) percentages. ELI5 please, what does this mean? Is it better to go with a (+) or (-)? Of the following results which two sizes are most ideal and why? Does it mean that ALL the sizes listed in this calc results will indeed fit the size 14 rims?

IMG332.jpg

Currently I have these rims
aly69348u10n-1_6.jpg

Whether there is interference and at what tire size is something that is vehicle-specific. What do the 1997 Toyota Camry forums say is a safe tire size at what wheel offset? What wheels are available that fit the Toyota bolt pattern in the size you want? That's where you should be looking for an answer.

As someone who owns a car that has an OEM 14" wheel size, don't expect a large number of options. Wheel manufacturers make wheels in the sizes people buy, and tire manufacturers make tires in the sizes that sell, not every size on your chart. Find the wheel (if you need to change) first, and see if the brand and compound you desire is offered in a size that fits.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
As someone who owns a car that has an OEM 14" wheel size, don't expect a large number of options.

Exactly.

He could probably do 205/70/14 and not risk any rubbing, but TireRack only lists 3 tires available in this size. Also, the rims need to be at least 5" wide. Are they?

A Gen 4 Camry will easily accept 205 60 15 tires on 7 inch rims. I've run them for years. The 14s produce borderline unsafe handling. You can fit the V6 brakes on an I4 with 15s. The hub's the same but the extra inch is needed to clear the bigger calipers.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: JaII
1-Needs new tires and I'ld like to know if it's possible to install wider tires but keep the same size 14 rims, and if so what sizes will fit without issues/interference? Or if anyone has done the same what sizes did you fit w/o issues?

It's possible, but... why? You're probably better off keeping the same size but going with a better tire.

2-Using a conversion calc it shows a column for diameter in (+) and (-) percentages. ELI5 please, what does this mean? Is it better to go with a (+) or (-)?

A plus sign means that size has a bigger overall diameter than 195/70R14. You'll have more grip, your car will sit slightly higher off the ground, you might have less wheel bearing wear and better fuel economy, the tire will be more likely to rub the wheel well (especially in turns and over bumps), and your speedometer and odometer will underestimate your speed/miles driven.

A minus sign means the opposite of all that.

Either option might trip up your vehicle's ABS, though that's not too much of a worry on a car of this age.

Of the following results which two sizes are most ideal and why? Does it mean that ALL the sizes listed in this calc results will indeed fit the size 14 rims?

Generally, you want to stick as close as possible to the stock overall diameter. Apparently there's no way to get within 1% without picking a narrower tire, so... if it were my Camry, I'd stick with the stock size.

On fitment: the width of the rim is important, too. Every tire will fit on a range of rim widths, but it's usually best to stick near the middle of the range. If the stock size is 195/70R14, my guess would be that any of the listed sizes would fit except 235/60R14. But again, probably best to stick with the stock size.

Hardly any tires available in 14" now.

Picking the best tire available will do more good than trying to resize.

there are plenty of good tires widely available in 15" sizes.

that all said

you can get
ALTIMAX RT43 (T-SPEED RATED)
in 205/70r14 which will throw off your speedometer by 2.5%

or
the same tire in 195/70r14
or
kumho sense
195/70R14 91H
or
Kumho Solus TA11
195/70R14 91T

Those are the best options I'm seeing.

The last year the Gen 4 was produced the V6 version came with 16 inch wheels. 16 inch seems to have the best selection of tires now, succeeding the 15 inch tires which were once very common. Based on my experience with FOUR Camrys, upgrading to at least 15s, the stock V6 size until 2000, will improve the handling and braking, especially eliminating a little tail wag the 14 inchers evidenced on my 2 Gen 4s. Buying new 14 inch tires is pointless, there's not much in the way of quality tires left in 195 70 14 and not a big selection in larger sizes. You can find steel 15s and 16s at the auto recycle yard or buy steel wheels for snow tires from Tire Rack and such places. I currently run Conti's on one Gen 4 and Yokohama on a Gen 3 and a Gen4, all in 16 inch. My 08 V6 runs Yokohamas in 215 60 16, they don't look that large but the car handles very well even with the 3.5 V6 in the front. I did a test fit on the rear of one Gen 4 with the 16 inch tire wheel combo and it fit with no problems. It's probably what I'd use if I were doing an upgrade on a Gen 4 right now.

Last edited:
First, it's unclear why the OP is considering other sized tires. A 195/70R14 is probably the most popular 14", and is most likely to be available in the kind of tires desired.

And according to Discount Tire, there are only a few 14" tire sizes that will fit a 1997 Toyota Camry - and even the list they have includes tire sizes that should be used.

So here are some rules to eliminate those tire sizes that should NOT be used:

1) Never use a tire with a lower load rating than the original. Most tire shops will not even consider mounting such a combination.

2) Never use a tire more than 3% different than the diameter of the original tire. Many tire shops won't do that either.

3) Check the allowable rim width.

As others have suggested, it may be a better idea to move up to a larger diameter tire/wheel combo, for better handling, braking, economy, etc..

With the DTD sale going on, rebates, etc.. you could move up to 15's for cheap right now.. case in point:

.. that works out to $148 for 4 new 15" wheels, after rebates

.. and $119 for 4 new 195/65R15 tires (with an 80,000 mile warranty), after rebates (Don't know if your state has an environmental fee, or if you'd go with the certificates).

Before tax, that's only $267 for 4 new wheels & tires.

Thanx for all your help. In the end I decided to stay stock. My cost came to $130, $7 for high density balancing BB's. I am not sure how long I will keep this car. If it shows promise of doing another 18k miles I will move up to 15's for next tire change.

welcome2.gif

If you don't like any of the tires available in 195/70-14, you can always get the 15-inch wheels from a V6 Camry or ES300, which use tire size 205/65-15, which has a lot of good tire choices
smile.gif

Vredestein still makes some good tires in the 195/70-14 size, though. The Sportrac 5 is a summer tire that will give you good handling, if you don't need snow traction, which you probably don't in Texas.

Vredestein Sportrac 5

If you do need snow capability, there's the Vredestein Quatrac 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back