lucas ruined engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how long it would have lasted anywhere colder than Louisiana.

Maybe next time he could add Lucas to the oil instead of the other way around.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Here's the post from the Lucas VOA thread.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/890161/1

Originally Posted By: Shup1
Here is the skinny on LOS

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Rotella T / LOS 5 to 1 blend
TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Does anyone have any feedback on Rotella blend, have I diluted it since it is a 5 to 1 mix??? or 83.33% Rotella / 16.67% Lucas

Okay so my previous math is all wrong because I read the post again and the VOA with 115 cSt viscosity was a Franken brew with oil while straight Lucas is 615 cSt, so it is like I originally stated, mind boggling thick and would be off of any scale so far even the gear oil chart.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I knew that friggin 5w20 blew engines up.
crackmeup2.gif

Appears to be true in my world. Not one lasted yet. **
-
-
-

** Most failures are driven by my mild mannered wife.
I'm gonna get a car that specs 5w40. Prob don't market that animal anymore as Europe manuf jump on the low HTHS clatter knock bandwagon.

Originally Posted By: TheJDMan
So just to be clear, the Lucas product did not kill the engine. Misuse of the Lucas product by the owner was the problem.

How do you misuse a Lucas product?

Misuse of the Lucas product by the owner was the problem.

The correct use of Lucas is to simply dilute perfectly good motor oil to a lesser degree, then?

I was a regular user until the parts house took the little gear contraption away (never bought any, but it was fun to spin) ...

So just to be clear, the Lucas product did not kill the engine. Misuse of the Lucas product by the owner was the problem.

Well, putting lucas in his engine to begin with was a POTENTIAL problem.

Putting as much as he did in that engine.. that's when it became a definite problem.

Really, adding that much of ANY additive is likely to cause damage in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Misuse of the Lucas product by the owner was the problem.

The correct use of Lucas is to simply dilute perfectly good motor oil to a lesser degree, then?

I had seen an old article that seemed to suggest adding Lucas made the oil foam up. I've always been terrified to put it in an engine since then.

from amazon:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Awesome stuff.
ByVerstappenon July 16, 2016

Size: 32 Ounce
|
Verified Purchase

This stuff has done wonders in my 4.2 V8 Audi S4, I was going through 1qt/500 miles on very heavy driving. This has made the consumption slow down to about 1qt/1500 miles. I use it with 20w-50

Can someone do the math for me? I am curious just how thick that oil is after adding lucas to 20w50!!! :0

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
from amazon:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Awesome stuff.
ByVerstappenon July 16, 2016

Size: 32 Ounce
|
Verified Purchase

This stuff has done wonders in my 4.2 V8 Audi S4, I was going through 1qt/500 miles on very heavy driving. This has made the consumption slow down to about 1qt/1500 miles. I use it with 20w-50

Can someone do the math for me? I am curious just how thick that oil is after adding lucas to 20w50!!! :0

Not gonna do the math, but this is really the primary use of this stuff. I used to run SAE 50 in my old truck during the summer to keep the oil consumption down. I'm sure adding Lucas will yield similar results. If your high mileage car is leaking and burning oil at a high rate I don't see harm in using it if you're too cheap to rebuild it.

Originally Posted By: man114
Not gonna do the math, but this is really the primary use of this stuff. I used to run SAE 50 in my old truck during the summer to keep the oil consumption down. I'm sure adding Lucas will yield similar results. If your high mileage car is leaking and burning oil at a high rate I don't see harm in using it if you're too cheap to rebuild it.

It's not really the same, by using the Lucas you are diluting the additives in the rest of the oil. Why not just use a thicker oil in the first place?

And besides, can't you find oil that costs less than the Lucas?

But, but, but, I can't find oil thicker than 50. LOL----- Personally, IF I wanted to thicken up the oil, I would use STP. Cheaper and not as much dilution, as is a smaller container.

Originally Posted By: old1
But, but, but, I can't find oil thicker than 50. LOL----- Personally, IF I wanted to thicken up the oil, I would use STP. Cheaper and not as much dilution, as is a smaller container.

You may have a point there.

Maybe Lucas should market a solid additive for just that purpose.

Originally Posted By: old1

Valvoline VR1 goes up to SAE60. At least it's a real oil with a fairly robust additive pack, too.

The straight weight VR-1s can be hard to find. You'll find 20W-50(what I feed my MG) at most any decent auto parts store. When I was looking for heavy oils to experiment with in the carburetor, I managed to find a dusty bottle of SAE50 at Autozone and another of SAE60 at a large NAPA store.

If you want to thicken up oil with a straight weight, like I said at least VR-1 is an actual motor oil and runs $5-7 a quart at most stores.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: man114

It's not really the same, by using the Lucas you are diluting the additives in the rest of the oil. Why not just use a thicker oil in the first place?

And besides, can't you find oil that costs less than the Lucas?

True it will dilute the additives, but I suppose for some odd reason if you wanted super thick oil there are limited options. STP would work too. I suppose there is someone out there who wants thick gluelike oil to "stabilize" their oil. There are plenty of other thickeners though think there is one called Hyperlube. I used to use it in old mowers that burned a lot of oil, don't know if they still make it or have any use for it. And those 4 gallons of Lucas will last me a lifetime of that use,

Last edited:
Any credulous person who read the promotional material for this stuff might get the idea that it's a highly desirable oil additive.
A somewhat dim witted credulous person might then conclude that if a little is good then more must be better.
That the engine was probably very smooth and quiet on this very thick blend probably reinforced the user's thinking that he was doing his engine all the good in the world.
Most of us know that if we want thick oil, it's readily available complete with additives.
Obviously not everyone knows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back