Dangerous Work at Goodyear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2017...ville-penalties

Quote:
...Goodyear has agreed to pay $1.75 million in penalties in connection with state investigations into four fatal accidents at Goodyear's Danville plant during a 12-month period starting in August 2015…

The four workers killed at Danville were:

Jeanie Strader, 56, who was caught in machine rollers in August 2015 while trying to straighten them;

Kevin Edmonds, 54, who was crushed between a wall and a pallet containing rubber early in 2016;

Charles "Greg" Cooper, 53, who died in April 2016 after falling into a pit of boiling water and oil;

William "Billy" Scheier, 47, who was killed in August 2016 while trying to adjust a switch in a machine that had not properly been turned off.

3 seem like user error/accident.
1 was avoidable but not directly his fault? perhaps we dont know the area of the plant or circumstances.

Sometimes after doing a job for 10 years you dont treat the hazards with care.

I'm guessing their safety procedures were woefully lacking.

It mentions lockout tagout.

That is where you de-energize the machine and lock it off with a lock that has a tag that may only be removed by the person who locked it out.

Its commonly used for broken electric pallet jacks, and other energized equipment such as meat saws as examples.

Quote:
Charles "Greg" Cooper, 53, who died in April 2016 after falling into a pit of boiling water and oil

Egads.
frown.gif

All of them, obviously. But that one stands out. Yikes.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
4 people killed in one year???

At one facility!

Usually the first fatality brings in OSHA and a pretty thorough review of your safety program and compliance. This sounds like simple things like training, LOTO, PPE, barriers, etc. weren't being followed or installed.

When young I had a summer job from college driving a short haul straight truck locally picking up small freight. One of the regular stops was a rubber products plant. OMG what a shiat hole factory that place was. The smell of volatile vulcanizing agents (?...) was so strong it nearly gagged me, yet workers were going around with no breathing apparatus on or anything. Could not have been healthy at all.

I am sure that the Michelin factory is paved in gold. They are the best tires ever right? Their factories must be just as amazing

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I am sure that the Michelin factory is paved in gold. They are the best tires ever right? Their factories must be just as amazing

The point of your post is?
GY has problems with safety, let's try to find problems elsewhere so we can justify problems in GY plant, or simply, let's just use alternative facts.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The point of your post is?
GY has problems with safety, let's try to find problems elsewhere so we can justify problems in GY plant, or simply, let's just use alternative facts.

It was a joke considering the Michelin fanboys. Perhaps we can take it as that.

To be honest it is a tragedy and something that requires serious attention to prevent any further losses. It is a shame that these people died.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Having worked at a Nuclear Power plant, we had a saying that management is responsible for safety.

Safety is everyone's responsibility, from the guy pushing a broom to the highest management position. I've seen too many incidents and unfortunately most were caused by employees taking shortcuts without using the proper equipment, which by the way, was almost always provided to them.

If you're been doing your job for a long time, it's easy to fall into a mode of complacency. It can happen everywhere - I feel a regular review and drill of procedure can do wonders and easy access to PPE, I know construction workers who had to spring for safety glasses and hard hats out of pocket since their bosses only covered so many replacements.

That is too many fatalities for one facility over it's lifetime. To have them in one year is staggering. There is something wrong at that plant or with those running the show there.

That was childish.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That was childish.

Oh well. Should I assume that further comments about a badly placed joke should stop or should I continue to expect more comments? I apologized already for a bad joke and expressed my issue/sympathy with the human loss

I have worked in dangerous industries for 4 decades and never heard of a single installation with that kind of record.
Your HSE culture needs to run 24x365 without external intervention - but they will get plenty of "help" getting there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back