SBR .50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick little build log for a .50 done on a Vltor VIS1

started with, a vltor vis-1

Standard 5.56 opening. notice the "lip" on the bottom.

Just for reference, this is how a standard ejection port would handle a .50

Measure 5, 6, .... cut once

Clean up time. the shell deflector ended up coming off later for a deep clean

Barrel specs:

Satern Machine
7.5" 12.7x42
Stainless Steel button rifled
49/64x20 threads
.875 gasblock
finished in tefon
matched bolt

and one to put it in perspective

I also had a custom ejection port made for it

In the closed position it lets you know whats coming:

Some of you may not know what this means but for those that do.... Once the door drops we go straight to "11"

What will the recoil be like? I am thinking owie recoil. Although You can call me a pansy it is ok.
blush.gif

Very cool build.

I've got several lowers, and would like to do a .50 one day...though I might keep it at 16+ and just make it a rifle...

This looked like .50 Beowulf to me, but perhaps I'm not seeing enough of the round...

Anyway, I hope to build a .50 Beowulf.

Not cheap to feed one of those...I'll have to start reloading at that point...

Originally Posted By: Olas
Why not .700 nitro or even a .950 jdj?

Well, if you're asking me, then I would say, because I am building on an AR-15 lower, as the OP did...

But I will be building a US Rifle, Cal .30, M1 (Garand) next month, under supervision. A bit more involved than an AR...which, to be honest, is a piece of cake. The hard part with building an AR is choosing from among all the great options for each component...

New to ARs I take it?

Quote:

You mean .50 cal Action Express? not .50 BMG?

Don't think he specified. Most would figure it's Beowulf given the pictures and the short AR platform.

LOL! As already indicated, this isn't a .50BMG, it looks like a Beowulf:

Link to .50 Beowulf article.

Compared to .223/5.56:
Beowulf_Cartridges.JPG

Compared to the BMG, this cartridge in 400gr is 2,880ft-lbs, whilst a 647gr (really light) .50BMG is 13,300ft-lbs. That's a rather massive difference.

The Beowulf is designed for the AR platform.

566081_orig.jpg

Originally Posted By: JDM396

New to ARs I take it?

Quote:

Don't think he specified. Most would figure it's Beowulf given the pictures and the short AR platform.

Also those calibers mentioned are considered destructive devices in the USA. This is the same category as bazookas, howitzers, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: JDM396

New to ARs I take it?

Quote:

Also those calibers mentioned are considered destructive devices in the USA. This is the same category as bazookas, howitzers, etc.

Remember, Olas once told us that he "could buy pretty much any firearm" he wants in England...so...

The 600/700 nitro express, the 950, and some others are exempt. I'm sure if someone started building autos in those calibers they wouldn't be exempt for long.

Originally Posted By: hatt

The 600/700 nitro express, the 950, and some others are exempt. I'm sure if someone started building autos in those calibers they wouldn't be exempt for long.

Only "African" caliber gun I have is a 375 H&H, but I bet the exemption exists for "Sporting Purposes". You are right though, look what happened to 76N 5.45x39mm the minute someone started making pistol AK's that fired it. They tried to do the same to M855/SS109 5.56x45mm too. Existed for years and years until the platforms changed.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Anyway, I hope to build a .50 Beowulf.

Not cheap to feed one of those...I'll have to start reloading at that point...

I have a 50 Beo with the carbon handguard and Eotech. Simple, ultra lightweight and an absolute blast to shoot. I put a recoil absorbing stock on it, and even with that, there is no way I'm shooting more than about 20 rounds. It packs a wallop! And, it's a different animal compared to an AR15, where you blaze through 30 rounds in a few seconds. I find that I take careful aim, make triple sure I'm on target, shoot and take an hour to recover.. (just kidding) (but I do take time to get back on target) Because it's not a gun for high rates of discharge, I don't find the 50 Beo expensive at all. Much more in line with typical big bore bolt action guns.

Immensely satisfying.

This gun, with recoil absorbing stock, Eotech and no threaded barrel. Simple and very light.

alexander_arms_50_beowulf.jpg

Here is a picture of the recoil absorbing stock I used:

50-beowulf-recoil-reducing-stock.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back