Mobil 1 vs Amsoil synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: cryption
I don't go to Wally world looking for quality ....

Good place to buy oil though.

And quality oil too!

How about a real test for motor oil like Proof of Performance - the companies who actually apply for REAL credentials have to do these up to two years for various OEM' and agencies ...

How do you know Mobil is the only company who changes formulas ? Unlike Amsoil - most companies have little latitude to do so under agency specifications and OEM rules ...

Originally Posted By: TahoeDoc
Hi All, new here. Any advice on Mobil 1 vs Amsoil. New mechanic for my 5.3L 2008 Tahoe LTZ recommends Amsoil. He says it's the original and still the best. Currently using Mobil 1. Also, my sister's mechanic replaced synthetic oil with petro-based oil in her 1999 Saab (160k mi, 4 cyl). Is it kosher to go back once synthetic being used? Thanks.

Not sure what grade of oil you're looking at, but I did some online research into Amsoil 5W30 SS a while ago and it had a number of outstanding properties...it particular, it strongly resisted boiling off at very high temperatures (low NOACK) and also flowed well at very low temperatures (low CCS viscosity). Unfortunately, I felt that its particular additive pack was not a good match for my direct injection turbo engine (google "LSPI calcium" if you're interested) and I have been using a variety of Mobil 1 5W30s instead. I think Amsoil SS would be a great match for your NA V8 if you're willing to pay the premium price for it an want the "very best", but M1 would probably get the job done for you more economically. Amsoil 5W30 OE did not seem like anything special by the analyses I have seen, certainly not a step above M1, and I don't know much about the XL line.

You can switch between dino, synth, and semi-synth (a blend of dino and synth) as much as you want, lots of mechanics will tell you that you can't use dino after running full synth but that is just plain not true. The very fact that synth blends exist tells us that synthetic and dino can be mixed.

What gets missed sometimes is that Amsoil doesn't make anything. They are a blender. They mix oils and lubes up. They get a lot of their base oil from other sources, and Mobil is one of them. All one can really base any claim on is the mix being a better mix than what someone else offers. Amsoil does blend in some interesting add packs. Mobil does the same thing, as does Schaeffer and everyone else. I use some Amsoil products, but that primarily is motivated by the fact that living rural, not everything I want in oil, lubes, greases, and other products are readily available at a store in town. Just seems easier to go online and order up something and have it shipped to me than make 100 mile round trips to a bigger city to get something unique. I actually use about 5 different oil brands for my various stuff.

I am doing same kind of research (2014 LC9 GM 5.3L V8 with 64k miles)

Found this:

Blackstone Laboratories has performed oil analysis on hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Recently they decided to take all this data and figure out the one question every auto enthusiast wants to know, "Which motor oil is the best?"

The answer is... they're all interchangeable so long as they meet the oil weight and certifications for your vehicle. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, even the discounted brands such as Walmart's Supertech and Peak will not wear your engine out any quicker than any other brand that meets the basic standards for your vehicle.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php

Quote:
So what does all of this tell us?

Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another, that’s for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc. Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

Now, some people report better fuel economy or other benefits from using one type of oil instead of another, and if that’s you, that’s great. Our point here is not to tell you that you should or shouldn’t use a certain type of oil, so by all means, feel free to stick with what’s working for you. All we’re saying is, if you want to try an oil that maybe costs a little less, you probably don’t need to worry about it causing any problems. Send us a sample of what you’re using, and then try a similar oil run with the new stuff – by comparing those results, you might find that you can get the same great results, and save a little money as well! Good luck!

Originally Posted By: avi
I am doing same kind of research (2014 LC9 GM 5.3L V8 with 64k miles)

Found this:

Blackstone Laboratories has performed oil analysis on hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Recently they decided to take all this data and figure out the one question every auto enthusiast wants to know, "Which motor oil is the best?"

The answer is... they're all interchangeable so long as they meet the oil weight and certifications for your vehicle. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, even the discounted brands such as Walmart's Supertech and Peak will not wear your engine out any quicker than any other brand that meets the basic standards for your vehicle.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php

Quote:
So what does all of this tell us?

Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another, that’s for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc. Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

Now, some people report better fuel economy or other benefits from using one type of oil instead of another, and if that’s you, that’s great. Our point here is not to tell you that you should or shouldn’t use a certain type of oil, so by all means, feel free to stick with what’s working for you. All we’re saying is, if you want to try an oil that maybe costs a little less, you probably don’t need to worry about it causing any problems. Send us a sample of what you’re using, and then try a similar oil run with the new stuff – by comparing those results, you might find that you can get the same great results, and save a little money as well! Good luck!

What about rough service use case....Turbo engines where people chose to be on boost on a regular basis, or non water cooled turbo cars that people don't do 2 minute cool downs and just turn their car off when going home or into a store. I guess I would want a group 4 or group 5 oil in this case, all the 95% of the group 3 oils out there would not be the oil of choice here I would think.

Originally Posted By: KieferS
The trend seems to be that many people are moving away from mobil 1

Every weekend the Walmart on 441 in Broward County is completely out of 0w20 Mobil 1 EP and very low on 0w20 AFE. During the week they fully stocked with it.

Hi All, new here. Any advice on Mobil 1 vs Amsoil. New mechanic for my 5.3L 2008 Tahoe LTZ recommends Amsoil. He says it's the original and still the best. Currently using Mobil 1. Also, my sister's mechanic replaced synthetic oil with petro-based oil in her 1999 Saab (160k mi, 4 cyl). Is it kosher to go back once synthetic being used? Thanks.
t\Use which ever oil make you feel the best. What oil have you used since 2008? There is not a whole lot of difference between the motor oils with equal specs these days for general automotive use. Amsoil is a great oil if you think it is worth the cost. I can't see the use of Amsoil "buying" you anything though.

Originally Posted By: CT8
t\Use which ever oil make you feel the best. What oil have you used since 2008? There is not a whole lot of difference between the motor oils with equal specs these days for general automotive use. Amsoil is a great oil if you think it is worth the cost. I can't see the use of Amsoil "buying" you anything though.

I doubt the OP will read this since he hasn’t been back for the seven plus years since he posted this.

Or, he is here under another name?

Originally Posted By: spj
Holy thread resurrection, 7 years later...

Thank god. At least someone sees date of this thread before answer to OP.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life

Every weekend the Walmart on 441 in Broward County is completely out of 0w20 Mobil 1 EP and very low on 0w20 AFE. During the week they fully stocked with it.

Some repair shops buy their oil at Walmart because they don't quite buy enough to get the "best price" from a regular oil distributor.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life

Some repair shops buy their oil at Walmart because they don't quite buy enough to get the "best price" from a regular oil distributor.

Have actually seen shop guys in Walmart doing so the day sale started with three carts loaded with oil. Luckily I still got some before he cleared the shelf completely.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: CT8

I doubt the OP will read this since he hasn’t been back for the seven plus years since he posted this.

Or, he is here under another name?
You never can tell.

Yes Amsoil did pioneer synthetic oil technology back in the day and it could be said they are "the original synthetic motor oil." It could also be said that Amsoil is "generally superior" to Mobil 1. So I believe your mechanic is not lying to you.

Here is my question: how are you driving your vehicle? In the real world, the vast majority of drivers will not benefit from the "added protection" provided by the Amsoil boutique motor oils. Those who get a real benefit from using Amsoil are those really pushing their vehicles hard and putting lots of strain on the oil, with extended service intervals at the same time. These extreme conditions are the only place you will see any difference between Amsoil and Mobil 1 (aside from your wallet, of course). So consider your usage and decide accordingly. If you have wads of cash burning a hole in your pocket, and your new mechanic is your best friend, then get the Amsoil.

About your sister's SAAB, it's OK to switch between synthetic and conventional anytime, as long as it's always an oil that meets or exceeds the required spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back