10w40/15w40 synthetic options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2015 Kymco downtown 300i and I'm trying to decide a good oil to go with. It seems to be difficult to find synthetic oils in the 10w40 or heavier range at a decent price. I see amsoil makes these flavors in synthetic but I'm curious if there are other options. I don't want to run T6 as I'm concerned with it shearing down to a 30 weight very quickly. I like the idea of running redline or motul but i don't think that will really be cost effective.

Kymco specs 5w50 but 10w40 is the next most desirable weight. Since 5w50 is difficult to find i lean towards 10w40 as a good all around weight. This scooter has seperate oil for the CVT so i can use any car/bike oil really.

Last edited:
Does it spec a motorcycle specific oil? If not,there's always Edge 5W50. Napa always has it,and on sale fairly often.

Interesting - was looking for 10w-40's online last night ... there are not that many ... some in Dino and high mileage oils ...

I'll have to see what my local napa prices castrol 5w50 at. I can get a 4 quart jug of Amsoil 15w40 deisel oil for $32 there which makes out to $8 a quart. online it shows castrol 5w50 is $9.30 per single quart.

The manual doesn't state anything about motorcycle oil so I'm open to any oils really. I want something shear stable though since it revs pretty high.

Full syn. 10/15w40's are out there, just not in the same price category as thinner viscosities. In MN could you have peace of mind running a 5w40 HDEO? Those are more readily available. Also Schaeffer's makes some really stout oils in heavier weights.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
I just bought a 2015 Kymco downtown 300i

Curious.... These machines are sold in a lot of 3rd world countries
that do NOT have access to $10/qt synthetic racing oils.

Why do we think it's going to need better oil than, say... A Yamaha R1, or Honda FireBlade? or any Ducati?

I realize this scooter doesn't need a fancy oil, but I like the piece of mind i get from running a synthetic.

Rotella T6 is clearly a good option at a great price but my concern is that I've seen more than a few UOA's where it's sheared down to a 30wt range. I'm not totally opposed to trying it that's just my main concern as Kymcos preferred oil is a 50wt.

That being said the chart does mention 10w-30 is acceptable but says its only good to use up to 80F or something. Maybe that point is mmoot with a quality synthetic.

You ride year round? - if not - 15w40 or 15w50 opens more doors for some great oils (or change twice a year, can't hold much oil) ... Mobil 1 15w50 handles 750 HP engines for $25 bucks a jug ... pretty low pour point too ... did not look for MRV

Last edited:
Where do you buy that? I wont ever be riding below 30 degrees, would a 15wXX be ok in those temps?

Would any of you have a concern running 10w40 mobil 1 High mileage? its a nice and thick 40wt i can get easily at walmart for cheap.

Would any of you have a concern running 10w40 mobil 1 High mileage? its a nice and thick 40wt i can get easily at walmart for cheap.

No concerns at all. I recommended it earlier.

I realize this scooter doesn't need a fancy oil, but I like the piece of mind i get from running a synthetic.
What peace of mind will syn oil buy in actual real life? The engine /trans will eat any motor oil equally and short oil change intervals will be what is needed for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back