2.2 Ecotec Recommended Oil For Consumption Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could rebuild it. No one sells rebuild kits for it in my area. Junkyard wants almost 3 grand for a used engine for it with no guarantee and that's pulling it myself.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
I think your engine is just worn out. It needs a priest, not an oil change.
I disagree. I think that the oil consumption is within spec. If this were my car, I would use the thinnest oil, synthetic, as allowed in the specificatiuons and try to loosen any gunk. You absolutely must get the PVC replaced and I am not accepting (respectfully) your assertion that it is working properly.

Any modern car that has been properly maintained has a very good chance of having an engine with NEGLIGIBLE wear, even at 200k

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Originally Posted By: 3putter
I think your engine is just worn out. It needs a priest, not an oil change.
I disagree. I think that the oil consumption is within spec. If this were my car, I would use the thinnest oil, synthetic, as allowed in the specificatiuons and try to loosen any gunk. You absolutely must get the PVC replaced and I am not accepting (respectfully) your assertion that it is working properly.

Any modern car that has been properly maintained has a very good chance of having an engine with NEGLIGIBLE wear, even at 200k

The question is. How long has the OP owned the car? If this has been drinking motor oil like I drink Coca-Cola for 10 years there is a very good chance the engine is worn. Most car owners rarely check the oil level and it is very possible the engine was ran and used under very strenuous conditions. Even under the best circumstances, circumstances happens. I bet GHT's car is shot.

Keep running the stock weight or maybe 10w30 synthetic. These early ecotecs catastrophically eat timing chains and you need something thin on start up.

Just keep on keepin' on toppin' off.

I have one of these motors with 190k for $200 but the drive ain't worth it... neither is the car, probably.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinN
I wish I could rebuild it. No one sells rebuild kits for it in my area. Junkyard wants almost 3 grand for a used engine for it with no guarantee and that's pulling it myself.
Not sure where you are in TN, but car-part "dot" com shows a few scrapyards in TN with engines for $300 or less-like Lambert Auto Parts in Powell, TN has one out of an '04 Cavalier for $299. Not sure if yours has the EGR port in the head or not.

I hear this alot: " parts are hard to find in my area." But WHY ? Anybody can get anything on the 'net. 2.2 Ecotec is a pretty common engine as well.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Using Rotella T or T6? I, like most all turbo car guys, ran T6 in my turbo car and it almost completely stopped my consumption issues.

TinyVoices- tell me more about this Rotella minimizing oil consumption. My son has a 2009 Mini Cooper S 1.6 T, and it uses about 1 quart every 3k miles. PCV (valve cover), leakdown test etc has been unable to find any problem, and the car runs great. Using a 0w-40 reduced the oil consumption a bit, but nothing else has helped.

Thanks for the add. I have a 03 Olds Alero with the 2.2 and I am currently using Rotella T with it using a quart to a quart and a half about every 1,000 miles. Would a 20w50 possibly help ? Engine currently has 219K miles on it.

My daughter had an 02 Alero with the same issue. I cut the consumption in half using this CD2 Stop Leak below with 10W30 Rotella. Use it for two OCIs (4K OCIs)

https://www.amazon.com/CD2-4105-Engine-Leak-15oz/dp/B000AMBPAC

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure where you are in TN, but car-part "dot" com shows a few scrapyards in TN with engines for $300 or less-like Lambert Auto Parts in Powell, TN has one out of an '04 Cavalier for $299. Not sure if yours has the EGR port in the head or not.

Think with a few changes, the cavalier 2.2 should go right in.

Know for sure that engine is about done-I own three with the same 2.2 ecotec engine in them.

Thinking you could just hunt craigslist for an older cavalier/cobalt/alero and just swap it out for cheap.....

The car was a rental for the first 15k of it's life , then a elderly woman owned it until it had 111k , then I got it. It came with service records , but the dealer never used the recommended viscosity while it was under warranty. Before I got it , it always got 10w40 pennzoil with a 14k oci.

Ecotec 2.2 is as common as mosquitos on an August night.
Rockauto, Summit Racing, eBay, Amazon are your friends.
I usually grab part numbers using Rockauto and cross shop on the others for best pricing.

It is common among owners of Saturns to re-ring the engine while it is still in the car. I supposed of you could get a good price on a quality rebuild kit, it would be a job worth doing. You would either have to have the cylinder head rebuilt by a machinist, or order a replacement online, but that isn't difficult.

That engine is very common and $3k is totally unrealistic. I can find them all day long for $300-400.
Check some other junkyards.
The Cavalier, Sunfire, Malibu, and Alero all used the same engine.
The engine in my Cavalier right now came out of an Alero and it dropped right in with no changes or modifications.
Mine has about 185k miles on it now and used less than a quart between changes.

3k is what my local junkyard wants. I don't see it. And dealer refused to change before 14k.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Guys.....do you not see the trolling trend here? None of this info makes any sense whatsoever. I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention it.

Hit the "notify" option and alert the moderators. Write a sentence or two on why you believe so and so is a troll. It's a good way to keep the garbage/spam off the site. Which is win for everyone. I did this recently on another thread, I'll see if I can find it.

Thread

End user no longer registered in the list.

Last edited:
I imagine you're referring to my threads in which I expressed my opinions on virtual relationships, which was posted in the correct forum. Just because my opinions differ from yours doesn't mean I'm a troll, it just means I have a different point of view. If you want you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back