2015 Expedition Ecoboost - M1 5w30, 5123 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Ford waking up one day realizing there is such thing called direct injection, putting in the car and not paying attention on last 15 years of development.
Whoever drives Ecoboost needs to stick to Euro grade oils.

Much like tspangle88, I am worried about warranty. My ST has a CPO powertrain warranty for 7 years and 100k miles so I need to run what Ford says to run.

Originally Posted By: BobThe
Ford waking up one day realizing there is such thing called direct injection, putting in the car and not paying attention on last 15 years of development.

Much like tspangle88, I am worried about warranty. My ST has a CPO powertrain warranty for 7 years and 100k miles so I need to run what Ford says to run.

Stick to Euro 5W30 if that is grade it specified. Does it say that has to be ILSAC-GF5 etc?

Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Costco olive oil can meet API.

Stick to Euro 5W30 if that is grade it specified. Does it say that has to be ILSAC-GF5 etc?

Ford WSS-M2C946-A is the strict spec, which is also an SN GF-5 oil.

While you can easily improve on Ford WSS-M2C946-A, I don't see the need to specify high HTHS oils when they are not needed. You can upgrade the Ford Spec to a GM dexos1, much higher, while also hitting the lesser Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec. No euro oils carry the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec.

edyvw always says high-HTHS euro oils are required even when BMW, Ford, etc. say HTHS=3.0 oils are fine.

People shouldn't pretend to know more than the engine makers themselves about minimum viscosity especially.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Ford WSS-M2C946-A is the strict spec, which is also an SN GF-5 oil.

While you can easily improve on Ford WSS-M2C946-A, I don't see the need to specify high HTHS oils when they are not needed. You can upgrade the Ford Spec to a GM dexos1, much higher, while also hitting the lesser Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec. No euro oils carry the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec.

edyvw always says high-HTHS euro oils are required even when BMW, Ford, etc. say HTHS=3.0 oils are fine.

People shouldn't pretend to know more than the engine makers themselves about minimum viscosity especially.

I am talking about heavier oil because of OBVIOUS reasons based on this UOA. If you cannot make connection here between heavier oil and this report, oh well.
And yes, I always say min 3.5cp for turbo engine. BMW says LL-01FE is acceptable, but they are using LL-01, so please. Go back read report again.
And Dexos1? Seriously?

Last edited:
Whatever - that's from the owners manual ...

Point is, all Euro High SAPS oils are API certified, while all API certified oils do not meet Euro specs.

Last edited:
I am talking about heavier oil because of OBVIOUS reasons based on this UOA. If you cannot make connection here between heavier oil and this report, oh well.
And yes, I always say min 3.5cp for turbo engine. BMW says LL-01FE is acceptable, but they are using LL-01, so please. Go back read report again.
And Dexos1? Seriously?

+1
In terms of metal wear rates, thicker oil (as in higher Hths) in OP's application may help. Obviously , no con.
Thinner oil in xW30 may compromise wear rates, possibly as in this UOA.

Edyvw I after with you on this as well. A LL-01 would be much better for the Ecoboost motors on average. A higher HTHS would be of good benefit to those motors. And if I were to have either a ecoboost or Ecotec motor I would want a higher HTHS oil to run in it. Having said that, I understand where 4wd is coming from as well. The manual is the manual. And it says what it says. ... But Ford did change the viscosity from a 5w20 to a 5w30 for a reason. And I think that's of significant meaning here. Thus why I would want a LL-01 oil to run it those applications.

Last edited:
I was just answering the question - and have actually ordered MB 229.5 5w40 - it's not really low sap per se - but the fuel diluted UOA's worry me more than CBU ... think this 3.5 EB motor in a country far from CAFE-land would be spec' at xw-40 ...
Need to change oil soon so only got enough for that and still following along.

I was just answering the question - and have actually ordered MB 229.5 5w40 - it's not really low sap per se - but the fuel diluted UOA's worry me more than CBU ... think this 3.5 EB motor in a country far from CAFE-land would be spec' at xw-40 ...
Need to change oil soon so only got enough for that and still following along.

Well, MB 229.5 is not particularly best oil to address CBU since it is High-SAPS. But very strict deposit control and lower NOACK requirements help overall performance of an oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back