VW/Audi Have Highest Engine Failure Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom777
Two major downfall of recent year euro engines: DI and timming chain tensioner. Pure DI engine are destine to fail due to carbon deposite on the intake valves which will require manual cleanning before it could get back on the road again. The timming chain tensioner seems like causing more trouble then belt since its not servicable which makes the catestrophic timing chain tensioner failure unpredictable. Another thing is that VW tries to put out more powers with small 4 cylinder engines but at the same time try to save cost. Rear main seal made with cheap materials, once pcv have any issue it most likely have leak problem and the repair bill is not pretty to replace the rms. Not to mention the gen 3 TSI on GTI (maybe GLI also?) starts using plastic oil pan I can already tell down the road lot of ppl will have a cracked oil pan.

A lot of assumptions my friend you have.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What vehicles have plastic oil pans ?

I was referring to your DI and timing chain issue. As someone who drives DI VW's for a long time, that is news for me. Also, coming from person driving Ford EB engine that has much more issues with fuel dilution and CBU then VW. So when do you anticipate your Ford will die?
As for plastic oil pans, how you know they will crack or fail? I personally do not like concept, but how do you know?
I would be more concern with fuel dilution in EB and CBU then plastic oil pans on VW.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I was referring to your DI and timing chain issue. As someone who drives DI VW's for a long time, that is news for me. Also, coming from person driving Ford EB engine that has much more issues with fuel dilution and CBU then VW. So when do you anticipate your Ford will die?
As for plastic oil pans, how you know they will crack or fail? I personally do not like concept, but how do you know?
I would be more concern with fuel dilution in EB and CBU then plastic oil pans on VW.

I think he was responding to the post by Tom777...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I think he was responding to the post by Tom777...

Yeah, now I see!

My friend I speak from experience. Please search 2.0 TSI timming chain failure and misfire due to intake valve carbon deposite. I used to own 11 Tiguan with 2.0 TSI and currently own a 14 Passat with gen 3 TSI. I Got rid of the Tiguan wih only 60k after it starts to have very noticeble chain rattle and misfire during cold start in low tempurature ( intake carbon deposits). Along with those issue the pcv system mulfunction causing the rear main seal start to leak. To replace rear main seal it require dropping th e transmission. Going back to the tensioner, once the tensioner completely fail then the vales are bend and engine needs to be rebuilt. I believe BMW/Mini and VW/Audi has some class action against them regarding to the tensioner. Gen 3 TSI has the updated tensioner as far as I know so I am not concerned about that on my passat. However, the rear main seal also starts to leak with only 24k and VW wont fix it till it is to the point where it is throwing error codes which I now assume vw wont fix it tll a pool of oil sitting under the car.

My friend I speak from experience. Please search 2.0 TSI timming chain failure and misfire due to intake valve carbon deposite. I used to own 11 Tiguan with 2.0 TSI and currently own a 14 Passat with gen 3 TSI. I Got rid of the Tiguan wih only 60k after it starts to have very noticeble chain rattle and misfire during cold start in low tempurature ( intake carbon deposits). Along with those issue the pcv system mulfunction causing the rear main seal start to leak. To replace rear main seal it require dropping th e transmission. Going back to the tensioner, once the tensioner completely fail then the vales are bend and engine needs to be rebuilt. I believe BMW/Mini and VW/Audi has some class action against them regarding to the tensioner. Gen 3 TSI has the updated tensioner as far as I know so I am not concerned about that on my passat. However, the rear main seal also starts to leak with only 24k and VW wont fix it till it is to the point where it is throwing error codes which I now assume vw wont fix it tll a pool of oil sitting under the car.

My friend I owned VW CC which I traded with 96K, and still own 2011 Tiguan with 64K and no any sign of carbon deposits, not on CC or Tig.
I know about issues (present on engines used mostly dealership oil, grocery getting driving style etc.), and I drove CC and still drive Tiguan like I stole it.
As for plastic pan? Yes and? Any examples of cracked pans etc?I am not fond of an idea, but any evidence of failures?

Last edited:
Well I guess you are the luck few that have not yet experienced the issue YET. I am very certain there are carbon already on your intake valve but not enough to cause mis fire yet. Give it a little more time and it will cause issue on a cold morning in the near future. Just hope your intake manifold fail before misfire issue develope because vw cover the intake manifold replacement under extended warranty dealer might give a big discount on carbon cleaning when they replace the manifold. Please do check on the tensioner to make sure you got the updated one. It will be a hefty repair bill after tensioner fail. As far as the plastic oil pan, its too early to have any examples since it just started around 2015 but use common sense a plastic oil pan going through several heat cycle during daily driving it will eventually fail earlier than a solid steel pan. Lots ppl are switching to steel pan just to haveone less thing to worry about. I myself had always been a vw fan but the gen 1 and 2 TSI realy sucks in reliability.

Well I guess you are the luck few that have not yet experienced the issue YET. I am very certain there are carbon already on your intake valve but not enough to cause mis fire yet. Give it a little more time and it will cause issue on a cold morning in the near future. Just hope your intake manifold fail before misfire issue develope because vw cover the intake manifold replacement under extended warranty dealer might give a big discount on carbon cleaning when they replace the manifold. Please do check on the tensioner to make sure you got the updated one. It will be a hefty repair bill after tensioner fail. As far as the plastic oil pan, its too early to have any examples since it just started around 2015 but use common sense a plastic oil pan going through several heat cycle during daily driving it will eventually fail earlier than a solid steel pan. Lots ppl are switching to steel pan just to haveone less thing to worry about. I myself had always been a vw fan but the gen 1 and 2 TSI realy sucks in reliability.

Hmmm, give a little bit more time on 64K Tig, although my CC made 96K before I traded in for X5, running strong as ever. So how much I should wait for Tiguan? 96k + 10k? 20k? 30k? 40k?
I get what you saying, but considering I had so far 11 VW', there is always someone saying how lucky I was.

Well I guess you are the luck few that have not yet experienced the issue YET. I am very certain there are carbon already on your intake valve but not enough to cause mis fire yet...

Pretty much all DI engines will have some deposits on the intake valves, not just VW, that's the nature of DI. As long as the deposits do not cause misfires or loss of power what's the problem?

What is tiresome on here is some variation of "all DI engines are the same and they're a monolithic block of technology" argument and there's nothing that impacts this circumstance...Which is absolutely not true but gets trotted out on here fairly often...usually with the caveat that Poster X will buy one when they "get it right".

Look for the signature with 15 year old cars and some reference to the 90's being the pinnacle of automotive technology and you've probably found a "DI Nostradamus".

No definate milage on when the carbon deposite will cause issue just like the timming chain tensioner failure but it will happen. Me and majority of other gen 1&2 TSI owners with carbon deposite issue mostly stuck in traffic driving at low speed 5 days a week and run short trip to store during weekend. The road condition do not allow us to drive like the way you do like you mention previously during rush hour which is 90% of the time we use the vehicle for. If you believe it is not an issue that is fine. But I feel the obligation to let others know that this is an issue that exist. Milage and years of use till causing misfire will very just like this case. But it will happen eventually. VW did not list carbon cleaning as a maintenance item. Instead this is considered as a repair item back in 2014 when I talk to the vw dealer. And at this point I dont really know why we are talking so much about this but not the timming chain tensioner which cause complete engine failure. And I know you may say hey my CC went 90k with no issue, that is fine too. Since I already know there are quite alot incidences on timing chain tensioner issue for 09-13 model year TSI engine I feel no benifit to withold the information I already know on these engines from Gen 1&2 TSI owner I come across.

If you are happy with your 11 Tiguan good for you and good luck. Maybe keep driving it for years to come without doing carbon cleaning or timing chain tensioner update VW will buy the car from you to present a case to defend themself on the class action in court which filed by hundreds if not thousands of consumers that stranded of an engine that cost a fortune to repair all because it was a design flaw.

Last edited:
My buddies son was short tripping one allot at college - and long trip only about twice a month. They had to clean out intakes but found a small reasonable shop since it was out of coverage ...

No definate milage on when the carbon deposite will cause issue just like the timming chain tensioner failure but it will happen. Me and majority of other gen 1&2 TSI owners with carbon deposite issue mostly stuck in traffic driving at low speed 5 days a week and run short trip to store during weekend. The road condition do not allow us to drive like the way you do like you mention previously during rush hour which is 90% of the time we use the vehicle for. If you believe it is not an issue that is fine. But I feel the obligation to let others know that this is an issue that exist. Milage and years of use till causing misfire will very just like this case. But it will happen eventually. VW did not list carbon cleaning as a maintenance item. Instead this is considered as a repair item back in 2014 when I talk to the vw dealer. And at this point I dont really know why we are talking so much about this but not the timming chain tensioner which cause complete engine failure. And I know you may say hey my CC went 90k with no issue, that is fine too. Since I already know there are quite alot incidences on timing chain tensioner issue for 09-13 model year TSI engine I feel no benifit to withold the information I already know on these engines from Gen 1&2 TSI owner I come across.

If you are happy with your 11 Tiguan good for you and good luck. Maybe keep driving it for years to come without doing carbon cleaning or timing chain tensioner update VW will buy the car from you to present a case to defend themself on the class action in court which filed by hundreds if not thousands of consumers that stranded of an engine that cost a fortune to repair all because it was a design flaw.

First of all, I would say I am much more familiar with these issues then you. So I feel obligated (to use your lingo) to tell you that VW does not build cars or engine for some guy in Houston, TX. They sell it there, but their priority is guy in Frankfurt and Munich, not Houston. So they design engines with that in mind, not Houston traffic, drive thru and 24oz cup holders.
So if you spend 90% of your time in traffic, why VW? Why not Toyota Prius? Why not RAV4 hybrid? You want CUV with autobahn characteristics to spend 90% of time in traffic? Sorry mate, but it is not VW's fault.
I buy cars that fit my life style. I am skiing twice a week (200mls round trip), I will next month go to Chicago. Wife has conference, then me few days after, pack kid in the car, Yakima on the roof, and fire up BMW oil burner. Probably up to 3000 mls. In June, Colo. Springs-Vgeas-San Diego and back. Tiguan? Every time we go to Denver or some other CO destinations together where we do not need so much trunk space, we hit it with Tiguan, and trust me, sees more redline then 2k rpms. I change oil every 5k, I use ONLY oils that meet with VW 502.00 also MB 229.5 and do not use that dealership POS Cstrol 5W40 that VW uses. Same thing was with CC. Was driving that car skiing since it was more useful to fit skis, had winter tires, and just blast on CO local roads with it, at 96K was running equally strong as at 24K when I got it, not using drop of oil, which was ALSO one of the complaints about TSI engines (Tiguan does not use drop of oil too).
Issues you are mentioning are so rare in Europe, precisely because of driving patterns, oil in use etc. So drive it like it was meant to be driven.
So maybe I develop problem with Tiguan, maybe not, but do not assume just because you had a problem or some other people on forums (people come to forums to complain not to say: oh I am opening thread to share how reliable my car is) does not mean everyone else has that issue. Every DI engine has issues with CBU, it is question how much and what you do to mitigate that issue.

Last edited:
My buddies son was short tripping one allot at college - and long trip only about twice a month. They had to clean out intakes but found a small reasonable shop since it was out of coverage ...

It is that with combination of High-SAPS and High NOACK oils that contribute to CBU.

My sister- in law had to have her 2007 audi a4 motor replaced at 60k. I told her it was junk at 40k when it ran out of oil , needless to say she was to arrogant to listen when it was still under warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
My sister- in law had to have her 2007 audi a4 motor replaced at 60k. I told her it was junk at 40k when it ran out of oil , needless to say she was to arrogant to listen when it was still under warranty.

Hard to believe that someone would be able to run an a4 out of oil. My 2007 a4 has a low oil light and audible signal when it is exactly 1 quart low. My a4 does burn a little oil, about a quart every 5,000 miles. I add a quart, drive another 5,000 miles then change. Blackstone says to try changing at 12,000 but 10,000 is easier to keep track of. At 100,000 miles the car runs and looks like new. Most reliable car I have ever owned.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998

Hard to believe that someone would be able to run an a4 out of oil. My 2007 a4 has a low oil light and audible signal when it is exactly 1 quart low. My a4 does burn a little oil, about a quart every 5,000 miles. I add a quart, drive another 5,000 miles then change. Blackstone says to try changing at 12,000 but 10,000 is easier to keep track of. At 100,000 miles the car runs and looks like new. Most reliable car I have ever owned.

I had friend who had sludge bomb in A4 1.8T. I asked him before that happened what oil he uses since that engine was known for sludging if wrong oil was used. Anyway, he said: M1 5W30. I told him that is not appropriate oil for that engine, and his answer: well it is synthetic.
Engine died at 80K. I had same engine, always used GC, sold with 106K in great condition.
I can guarantee you that 8 out of 10 Euro cars that are out of warranty or even during warranty are running wrong oil in it, since, well, it is synthetic.

He bought it used to start with and did not know the history - only mentioned it to me since he never ran into that problem.
I explained how DFI is another animal and it happens to some who don't do the homework ...
He drives a 911S and a GMC truck both on Mobil 1 ... so might have been what he runs - but perhaps the first owner had that "garden" almost full grown with quick lube oil ...

I found the 1.8T Oil Pressure Survival Guide to be an interesting read ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back