2011 Ford Fusion 2.5L, 13.6k, PUP 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest sample. I was going to take this out to 17k to the 100k total mileage mark, but a nice day led me to change early. PUP 5W-20 with half a can of LiquiMoly Ceratec. While the mileage is higher than the last sample, I can't say I really saw any benefits from it by the analysis. Next sample will be just plain PUP 5W-20 and similar mileage so we'll see if there is any increase in wear. Filter was a NAPA Platinum 51516. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Iron wear is very low. The "Universal Average" is probably for 6,000 miles, so your wear is about 30% lower on a per mile basis.
Maybe the Ceratec, elevating the moly and boron levels, made some difference. That much moly and boron begins to have anti-wear, not just anti-friction properties.
TBN was high for that many miles. Really? No makeup oil in that many miles? A little makeup oil raises TBN usually.

NAPA Platinum oil filters are infamous for poor filtering ability. I'd try to get the insolubles down some using a Fram Ultra when you can. Insolubles are typically 0.1 or 0.2 with better filtering.

Really good long term run. That is a healthy engine.

I do 10k on my gf's 2010 Fusion 2.5 with M1 and don't look back, maybe I'll stretch it out a little longer these are nice little engines.

Fords 4 cylinder (Mazda designed) engines seem bulletproof....(and PUP is a very fine oil).

PS: This seems to dispel the notion that the NAPA Platinum filter is only a rock catcher...

The Platinum/Wix XP is a rock catcher, but after 13,600 miles the larger openings should be starting to close off, forcing oil through the smaller ones & (somewhat) improving efficiency. Any chance of cutting the filter open & checking the media? That's where the story of how much it caught will be told. I agree with the poster above, you're close to the limit on how far this oil can be run, bet the oxidation numbers were starting to come up.

No, really, there was no makeup oil added. When I fill it up I go right to the top of the grid, and it was literally still at the top solid line on the full zone. I won't say this engine is babied, but I drive gently after startup until the temp gauge is up, and focus on smooth driving. This car routinely knocks down 36-37mpg over a full tank in the summer; winter gas brings it down into the 31-33 range. Of course with my wife driving, it can fall down into the high 20s during the winter. The insolubles have always been about the same; I've tried Motorcraft, Napa Platinum, Amsoil EaO, and you can see the results. I may send the next sample to Oil Analyzers to get an oxidation number. This run I am shooting for 15k since it won't have cold temps to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back