Automotive oil filter on OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a twin cylinder 22 hp Craftsman riding mower, about 8 years old. I bring it in for a steering repair, and the guy notices I have a automotive NAPA Gold oil filter on the motor. He proceeds to lecture me that "I am starving my engine of oil" because the "motor does not have enough oil pressure to push the oil through an automotive filter".

Could this possibly be right? It seems to run fine to me.

I have a 21 hp single cyl Intek Briggs that I'm running a Motorcraft FL-910S on.
It hasn't seized in over a year.

I run the same oil filter on my 12.5 hp Briggs engine that I run on my car. I have done so for five years now with no problems.

If in doubt, write down the part number for an oem filter then have NAPA cross reference to their filter. Been running a Napa gold for a few years on a kohler. I even cross referenced the Napa number to a Fram and that worked all last summer.

Yes the fit is perfect. The repair guy was telling me the auto (NAPA Gold) filter needed higher oil pressure to push oil through than any lawnmower motor could possibly produce. He told me I am starving my engine of oil.

Automotive filters are usually less expensive than the over priced ope specific stuff and something like a Fram Ultra will be 10 times more robust than an oem Briggs filter, not to mention more efficient and higher holding capacity. Of course you want to make sure you're using the proper thread and gasket size

Been using a auto filter on my Kawasaki, since its first oil change. Runs fine. Sounds like the repair man needs to fill his pocket.

Match filter gasket dimensions, thread size and possibly bypass relief pressure. I have been using an auto filter for over 20 years on by Kohler engine grass killer.

Of course the automotive filter is wrong for the mower, so long as the repair shop can sell you an $18 rebranded B&S filter. Besides Fram and Napa have application cross reference tools for lots of OPE engines.

Last I saw, a "Briggs and Stratton" filter was just a relabeled "Super Tech", anyway!

ST3614 or ST3682 would be fine. I've even run the FL-400S... same as on my 1988 H-D Softail, too.

MOST Briggs engines, even if they have a filter are splash lubricated. They will have a tiny oil pump that is only there to pump oil through the oil filter. So depending on what engine you have, you could throw that bit in his face.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Yes the fit is perfect. The repair guy was telling me the auto (NAPA Gold) filter needed higher oil pressure to push oil through than any lawnmower motor could possibly produce. He told me I am starving my engine of oil.

Your "guy" has no clue what he is talking about. I won't say "repair guy" because he is proving he knows zero about his profession.
Tell him it's to filter the 15w40 diesel oil you put in it as well.
Wait, don't do that, you might cause a seizure. Or worse.. He might pitch you his 49.95 synthetic oil change with gen-u-ine B-n-S oil and filter.

Last edited:
Thank you all, its all good. I did decline his filter change out on the spot, but wanted to double check with all the great BITOG knowledge just to make sure.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

Your "guy" has no clue what he is talking about. I won't say "repair guy" because he is proving he knows zero about his profession.
Tell him it's to filter the 15w40 diesel oil you put in it as well.
Wait, don't do that, you might cause a seizure. Or worse.. He might pitch you his 49.95 synthetic oil change with gen-u-ine B-n-S oil and filter.

This. I've been working on small engines for over 12 years now. There are a lot of smart guys in the profession, and some others who have no clue what they are doing and should never even use a small engine. I've seen their work and had to fix it LOL. The small engine oil filters are usually no different than the automotive filters, in fact, most of the small engine branded oil filters are cheaply made and 3x the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back