5w40 oil brand for 6.7 power stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
I read my owners manual for my 6.7 Powerstroke and did not see CJ4 listed as an approved oil.

So does that mean the Rotella T6 in my engine is not approved?
Is this a serious post or heavy on sarcasm?

Rotella hasn't had foaming problems in a long time. It did at one point, but not anymore. Some myths die hard I guess! Oh well, more T6 for me!

Of those listed though, I'd only run 1 and 2, the boutique oils are a waste of money in daily drivers, save those for high performance engines where they'll be beneficial! I doubt anyone abuses a street car hard enough to see any benefit from super expensive synthetics, but that's just my opinion! M1 and Valvoline will be more than adequate for your Powerstroke's needs.

I read my owners manual for my 6.7 Powerstroke and did not see CJ4 listed as an approved oil.

This whole topic just reeks of the fear-mongering from a decade ago; it's a cringe-worthy apprehension of CJ-4 version 2.0
Except that now it's an OEM doing it.

Unfortunately Ford has become just about schizophrenic in terms of making lube recommendations ...

https://jobbersworldblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/ford-motor-company-ck-4-position-statement.pdf

I find it interesting that they plainly state that some CK-4 lubes apparently have shown increased wear in their testing. Quoting them here:
Testing Ford has done on some CK-4 formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016.
Ummmmmm ... care to elaborate? Don't drop a bombshell like that and then walk away! And I expect the maker of the lube you tested would REALLY like to see those results as well. If you're going to badmouth something, be prepared to back it up! I find it odd that Ford tested a CK-4 and found it unacceptable, but the API and many VERY CREDIBLE lube producers (Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc) claim less wear with the CK-4 versions of their lubes. Am I supposed to believe that some fly-by-night company sneaked one past the API and ran a batch of junk lube into the Ford test mule? I am finding that hard to believe. So, man-up, Ford, and tell us the actual details of what was tested, how it was tested, and how it was "inadequate".

In this Ford released document, you'll see they find any CJ-4 API approved fluid as "acceptable" for use (sans CK-4 cert). And I quote:
"An oil showing CJ-4 in the API donut without showing CK-4 would be acceptable for service even if not showing WSS-M2C171-F1. "
So, yes, the T-6 would qualify if it's an older version prior to CK-4 on the donut. And so will a host of others not on their WSS-M2C171-F1 list. There are plenty of good oils on their list, but there are also a lot of good oils not on that list, but are now "acceptable" for use.

"Acceptable" does not delineate between "required" and "recommended". It's just a simple-to-understand "OK to go ahead and use this" statement. "Acceptable" is their written approval of any CJ-4 licensed lube prior to CK-4.

Of course, here's Ford's approved list:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf
And yet many of those on the Ford spec list, are actually CK-4 licensed. For example the Rotella T4 10w-30, and T5 15w-40, are CK-4 approved, but also on Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1 list. As are a whole host of others.

So, if I read the entirety of Ford's mental break-down correctly, it would be interpreted thusly:
OK to use any Ford spec'd lubes, even if they are CK-4.
OK to use any CJ-4 licensed lube, as long as it's prior to CK-4.
So we just cannot use a CK-4 lube that is not on Ford's approved list.

It's a circular referenced oil-related-Hades that Ford lives in .... At this point they would have absolutely zero plausible deniability in arbitration/court because their written statements, owner's manuals, and approved lists are all cir-cum-referenced applications of contradictory advice.

Maybe if we just use a Fram Ultra, it will filter out the CK-4 stuff and leave the CJ-4 stuff in circulation ...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Yes, I assumed it would say CJ4 in my owners manual.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I read my owners manual for my 6.7 Powerstroke and did not see CJ4 listed as an approved oil. So does that mean the Rotella T6 in my engine is not approved?
Yes, I assumed it would say CJ4 in my owners manual.
Information about the oil (for diesels) is found in the Diesel Supplement (not in the Owner's Manual). Here is a screenshot of part of the supplement--you can see CJ-4 listed there and there is more in the text that I have not added:

LTe9mp.jpg

2015_PSD. You beat me to it. Mine is the same. Hopefully Ford will provide some info soon...I'm hoping it's not a poor engine design that is causing all of this ambiguity. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
2015_PSD. You beat me to it. Mine is the same. Hopefully Ford will provide some info soon...I'm hoping it's not a poor engine design that is causing all of this ambiguity. Thanks.
To a degree, I think it is just Ford being Ford because the 6.7L platform is the least problematic of any diesel family Ford has had. I have enough CJ-4 in my stash to last well into 2018 so I am not too worried, but I am starting to see less and less of CJ-4 on the shelves in my area (being replaced with the CK-4 versions). Shell or one of the other majors will meet the new Ford specification with CK-4 soon and things will return to normal. Amazon has Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40 SynBlend list for $55.36 with free Prime shipping for a case of 4 gallons ($13.84 per gallon) and it has the Ford specification (WSS-M2C171–E) listed in the 2015 supplement on the jug. I have 1 gallon left from previous OCI, so I may grab another case because it ran well in my PSD last year.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Just picked up a 14 f250 6.7 I'm convinced in running 5w40 only and am looking for good syn oil to put in it I'm also convinced in Not Running Rottela. I'm looking at
1 valvoline premium blue
2 m1
3 Schaefers
4 royal purple
5 amsoil
Leaning hard on 3 and 1 from other psd reviews but still looking recommendations amsoil being the most expensive pushes them to end of list
Oci will probably be around 7500 filter will more likely be wix or maybe motorcraft

Why no love for M1 Delvac in 5w40? It's as good or better than the oils you have listed, readily available andnwill easily work for your proposed OCI and is cheaper than most of your boutique choices!

My buddy has a '16 F250 and has run the M1Delvac since new and has UOA's to support OCI's nearing 15K miles in Michigan cold and towing a big 5th wheel camper.

I think the Delvac is available in a 10w30 flavor as well if you want to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back