Cop Car's Bulletproof Glass (??) Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think cop cars have bulletproof glass, either windshield or side glass.
Anybody know what it would take to get that in cop cars?
We all hear about the President's limo glass and others like that. Military uses something too.

Price and weight are the enemies. You'd think in this day of polymer science we'd have figured out how to get price/weight down.

We're certainly all tired of replacing windshields on our own vehicles. Safelite does a lot of business, and I see a ton of cracked windshields on cars on the streets.

Pop_Rivit,^^^^^ I'd like to find out if its out there now, and if not, what new tech does anyone have.
Your link does not involve bulletproof glass, just motion detection warnings.

Last edited:
I have seen real bullet and blast proof "glass". Its very thick, heavy, and expensive. Unless you are driving in a war zone there is no need.

The place I worked they told me it was also cheaper to make a rear interior door then add the glass to the rear of the Tahoes. So for some vehicles you lost a lot of interior space with it.

Add some very light tint to the window to help with damage and glass breaking if you want a little extra protection.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I have seen real bullet and blast proof "glass". Its very thick, heavy, and expensive. Unless you are driving in a war zone there is no need. The place I worked they told me it was also cheaper to make a rear interior door then add the glass to the rear of the Tahoes. So for some vehicles you lost a lot of interior space with it. Add some very light tint to the window to help with damage and glass breaking if you want a little extra protection.

I like the rear interior door idea. I assume that means the partition between front and back seats? Or maybe its something lining the inside of the Tahoe's hatch??? If you could make a sandwich of plexiglass with ***whatever slick tech new transparent material***, it would protect the front seat drive passenger from rear gun shots.

Wait, I forgot about polycarbonate. Eye glasses made with this stuff are very stout.
Why not do a polycarbonate windshield, or at least a composite laminate layer of this with glass, on windshields and side glass?
Light weight, and maybe not too expensive.
I've never heard of polycarb being used. Optics might be bad, getting too much prism effects from oblique light angles.

do you know of any police actually asking for this?
otherwise it seems like armchair quarterbacking will lead to wasted expenditures and the police not getting the equipment they really want..

Armored glass on police cars?

If the budget came available to do such a thing, I feel confident that the police and their representation would push for this money to be used in almost any other way.

Thankfully, a comparatively small amount of law enforcement officers are killed on a yearly basis. I'd bet very few of them were killed as a result of a firearms assault on their vehicle.

If I were one of them, I wouldn't stress this. Their job is to exit their vehicle and confront danger that everyone else is running away from. During this most typical scenario, bullet proof glass is about as good as a coat of wax on the paint.

I work for a police station, the officers cars do not have bulletproof glass.

Some of the ford SUV's have reinforced panels in the doors that can take certain light gunfire, but not the glass.

The prisoner cage is sold by a separate company who outfits the police vehicles. It is bulletproof plexi on the partition that sits between the officer and the prisoner, also the two prisoners are separated by clear glass that is not bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

If the budget came available to do such a thing, I feel confident that the police and their representation would push for this money to be used in almost any other way.

Thankfully, a comparatively small amount of law enforcement officers are killed on a yearly basis. I'd bet very few of them were killed as a result of a firearms assault on their vehicle.

If I were one of them, I wouldn't stress this. Their job is to exit their vehicle and confront danger that everyone else is running away from. During this most typical scenario, bullet proof glass is about as good as a coat of wax on the paint.

If my patrol car was a Bearcat armored vehicle, and someone began shooting at me, I would stay INSIDE the Bearcat. If my patrol car was a regular patrol car, and someone started shooting at me, I would get out of the car and shoot back. Cars are coffins.

Price and weight for sure. Crown Victoria Police Interceptors had body armor as an option for a few years. They were ballistic panels that went in the doors. I have sold some replacements when the local police actually use them. About $3300 per door for the panels on the replacement side.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

If my patrol car was a Bearcat armored vehicle, and someone began shooting at me, I would stay INSIDE the Bearcat. If my patrol car was a regular patrol car, and someone started shooting at me, I would get out of the car and shoot back. Cars are coffins.

You have a very good point.

But what of the typical situation where a person does not plan to start shooting until you exited the vehicle?

My understanding is that this topic has come up many times before, since armored glass on cars is almost 100 years old at this point, and the idea just never catches traction with either side of the table.

Bullet proof usually only considers weak pistol rounds and sometimes .223 rounds. Ant standard hunting round will go through 1/2" steel or several layers of bullet proof glass like butter. I shot through 7 stacked individual panes of 3/4" inch thick bullet proof glass with a 300 Weatherby Mag at 25 yards. Made a clean hole right through, back 4 panes never moved but the first 3 fell forward toward the rifle. Look at the military HUMMVE's, they almost all have bullet proof windows about 6" thick.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Bullet proof usually only considers weak pistol rounds and sometimes .223 rounds. Ant standard hunting round will go through 1/2" steel or several layers of bullet proof glass like butter. I shot through 7 stacked individual panes of 3/4" inch thick bullet proof glass with a 300 Weatherby Mag at 25 yards. Made a clean hole right through, back 4 panes never moved but the first 3 fell forward toward the rifle. Look at the military HUMMVE's, they almost all have bullet proof windows about 6" thick.

Hardly. They're about half that. Our Land Cruisers are effective against 7.62 and the windows are only about 1.5" thick.

When you say 7.62 you mean 7.62x39? Pretty sure that a 300 Weatherby is considerably "more gun".

Since bullet-resistant glass is mostly effective against small arms fire, the purpose of bulletproofing as they call it is to stop a round, say, through a window or windshield as the vehicle is then floored to get out of there quick fast and in a hurry. Away from the threat.

Plenty of rounds will defeat what they call bulletproofing. The SWAT team Full Armored vehicles are designed for a full-on firefight.

As to regular cars? Several much larger calibers have not even been mentioned yet. Pop guns are usually what is meant when they say bulletproof. Some can withstand multiple hits, all is relative.

Originally Posted By: supton
When you say 7.62 you mean 7.62x39? Pretty sure that a 300 Weatherby is considerably "more gun".

It's more gun, but not much more, and which one are you actually going to come under sustained fire from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Weatherby_Magnum

1,500 lb-ft of force vs 4,000 ft-lb. I'd say that is significantly more gun.

I don't disagree, 7.62x39 is more apt to be encountered. So less protection is good enough. But you can't compare the two rounds. Which was my point. Might as well say that 1.5" of glass won't stop 20mm. That might matter for a HUMVEE overseas but not so much for the typical amoured vehicle stateside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back