Selling Car, have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday I am selling my 99 Saturn SL2 to someone 3 hours away in Missouri like me. I have the title, recent inspection documentation, lien release, and a form to report the sale to Missouri.

So I think I have what Missouri requires. I somewhat know this person from the Saturn forum by reading their posts.

My main questions is what to expect when the person comes to buy to car? Anything I should be concerned about? I have a learning disability, so I do not respond well to surprises. Trying to get mentally prepared so I can think on my feet if needed. Filling out the title without errors is a tall order unless I am very focused. Anything involving reading, writing, or math is a challenge to do accurately.

Second, they will be driving home without tags. I will remove my license plates. What if they are pulled over? I know it is their responsibility, just curious what how others handle that.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Second, they will be driving home without tags. I will remove my license plates. What if they are pulled over? I know it is their responsibility, just curious what how others handle that.

Typically, they should be able to just show the signed over title to the officer. When I sold my bike in a similar fashion, I also drafted a simple letter stating that I just sold the bike to them and both me and the buyer signed it. It was probably not necessary, but it did not hurt.

Also, the buyer should provide the VIN to his insurance company in advance so that it's added to the buyer's insurance policy and it's covered while they drive it back home.

Bring a friend with you if you can. Tell the buyer no funny business or the sale will not happen.

You write very well.

At least in my state, the buyer would need a temporary (15-30 day) paper registration DMV plate to drive the car home. At major car shows and auctions the dealers have their staff give out the needed temp plates to buyers so they can drive home if they desire.

In this case, the buyer is taking a risk imo, which doesn't affect you. Most buyers doing this never get caught. It doesn't mean it's right or there are no ramifications if they get caught.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Bring a friend with you if you can. Tell the buyer no funny business or the sale will not happen.

You write very well.

I had to proof read that 4 times or so to correct most of the errors. I do have a MSW. My job requires me to read, write, and do math on a regular basis. It is just very intense unless I have time.

I don't have any friends.

I do have another buyer from Saturn Fans forum that became ill before seeing the car. So I have another buyer I somewhat trust. So that is a possibility if things fall through.

Along with bringing a friend, I'd check if your local PD has a "safe" area that you can use. A lot of the local departments here offer a spot for people to do Craig's List transactions...at the very least there are video and sound recording occurring and in some cases you can make an appointment to have an officer present during the transaction.

Also I'd want cash or a money order or certified check from the buyer.

And +1 on the "you write well" comment from above.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
At least in my state, the buyer would need a temporary (15-30 day) paper registration DMV plate to drive the car home. At major car shows and auctions the dealers have their staff give out the needed temp plates to buyers so they can drive home if they desire.

In this case, the buyer is taking a risk imo, which doesn't affect you. Most buyers doing this never get caught. It doesn't mean it's right or there are no ramifications if they get caught.

If the transaction was done on a Saturday we could go over the DMV and get the temp tag. I tend to follow rules, but many people don't. You are correct. In Missouri it is 30 day temp tag which is required based on what I am seeing on their website.

I don't have any friends.

I do have another buyer from Saturn Fans forum that became ill before seeing the car. So I have another buyer I somewhat trust. So that is a possibility if things fall through.

What about family, an acquaintance from work, neighbor, someone you actually know personally? You said you read some of the posts of the this potential buyer, that is not the same as personally knowing someone.
Did you mention your disability on that forum by any chance? I'm not saying that this person is out to get you, but you know full well you'll be at a disadvantage if something unpredictable happens, another party can easily solve this potential problem.

Last edited:
The DMV should have a simple way for the new owner to get temp tags for the drive home.

Right after the sale, call your insurance company and remove the car from your policy. You don't want to be liable for an accident one hour later.

Throw in a free lunch and I guarantee you'll find someone to come along with you. Safest place for the transaction is in a PD parking lot. See if your local precinct allows that.

Last edited:
Well, I'll tell you something. You need someone else there. I always do that.

Go to a local school, any school, scratch that.... call a local school at about 7am or just half hour after they start classes for the day. The secretary is the brains of the whole operation. Tell her that you are looking for someone to help you shortly at a car sale transaction. she won't bat an eye at your unconventional request. You should see how many bizarre things that secretaries deal with daily at a school. Within 10 seconds they will have one of the staff in mind who would be happy to help and will put you through to their desk/voicemail.

I'm not kidding. Teachers know their stuff, are thoroughly background checked in all states, have attention to detail and are always willing to help....almost to a fault.

If you call a high school and get the tech. ed. teacher.... he or she will likely ask you how well you have taken care of the care in light conversation and probably end up offering to pay your asking price on the spot for a second family car. Unlike the other guy who is going to come and no doubt lowball you at the last minute because the carpet is worn by the gas pedal.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
The DMV should have a simple way for the new owner to get temp tags for the drive home.

Right after the sale, call your insurance company and remove the car from your policy. You don't want to be liable for an accident one hour later.

Throw in a free lunch and I guarantee you'll find someone to come along with you.

Good reminder about the car insurance. I am going to the DMV to get tags for the Elantra. I think I will ask if there is a way for the Saturn buyer to get temp tags Sunday.

My closest family member is my 86 year old stepfather in a nursing home. I must sound pretty pathetic friend wise.

I am only selling the car for $250. So a free lunch cuts into the bottom line too much.
smile.gif

No one is coming to mind who I could ask. I do appreciate the advice.

How are you getting home after you sell the car? Are they coming to your house?

Last edited:
MonkeyMan: I did not see this in any of the other responses. I would highly recommend a simple contract between you and the buyer. Here's an example of one: http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/Used-Car-Sale-Contract. I've used something similar n the past. This also serves as a temporary registration in case the buyer gets pulled over. Make two copies for both of your signatures.

Also do the transaction in a busy, public parking lot if the police station is not available. Do not do the sale at your home.

Don't stress too much over this, it is a very easy transaction that thousands of people do everyday.

Good luck.

Why are you worried about what the guy does to drive it home? That's the buyer's problem. You just need to fill out the paperwork that says you sold it to him and then take your plates off. Or find out what his intentions are. Last time I bought a car, I told the seller I'd come back a few days later with a plate to drive it home. He left the car parked at his house and I just took public transportation to pick it up.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Why are you worried about what the guy does to drive it home?

I care what happens to others and am very sensitive. It is just my nature. I do not want anything bad to happen to someone else. Intellectually, I know it is the other guys problem. But, if there is something I can do to make it less of a problem I will make the effort.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Why are you worried about what the guy does to drive it home?

I care what happens to others and am very sensitive. It is just my nature. I do not want anything bad to happen to someone else. Intellectually, I know it is the other guys problem. But, if there is something I can do to make it less of a problem I will make the effort.

Then just ask him what his plans are. Not really your problem til he asks for help.

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
MonkeyMan: I did not see this in any of the other responses. I would highly recommend a simple contract between you and the buyer. Here's an example of one: http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/Used-Car-Sale-Contract. I've used something similar n the past. This also serves as a temporary registration in case the buyer gets pulled over. Make two copies for both of your signatures.

Also do the transaction in a busy, public parking lot if the police station is not available. Do not do the sale at your home.

Don't stress too much over this, it is a very easy transaction that thousands of people do everyday.

Good luck.

I am required to fill out Notice of Sale form 5049 for MO DMV. It is similar to the form you provided. It just does not say sold AS IS. I printed two copies. But with a Saturn with 274,000 miles I did not know I need to state AS IS?

I am not too stressed. The car is for a 15 year and the father that has a Saturn and appreciates them. The father also has a son in college. The posts at Saturn Fans of his struggle to fix up a car for his older son was very inspiring. Just someone trying to be a good Dad with limited finances.

At 16 I lost my father so was very lost for years. Made a ton of mistakes because I did not have guidance. Learned the hard way much of the time regarding cars. I have a good feeling about the buyer.

The car is loaded with extra tires and maintenance stuff I do not need. I also have a ton of oil (thanks to the website) that I will not need for my Elantra. I just cannot fit everything in the car I want to go with the car.

So it is more than a car I am selling and would like everything to go at once.

AAA auto club can handle all the paperwork and "supervise" the transaction. Its free, I believe, if you are a member. If you are not a member they charge a small fee, although I think that is charged to the buyer. I recently bought an old car from a nervous, inexperienced seller, similar to the car you're selling. Having a neutral third party who is an expert with these things on hand to oversee things helped the seller a lot. AAA will provide plates and a tag for the car (paid for by the buyer). This is the only way I personally would do it. You can make an appointment in most cases, and it is quick and smooth.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
AAA auto club can handle all the paperwork and "supervise" the transaction. Its free, I believe, if you are a member. If you are not a member they charge a small fee, although I think that is charged to the buyer. I recently bought an old car from a nervous, inexperienced seller, similar to the car you're selling. Having a neutral third party who is an expert with these things on hand to oversee things helped the seller a lot. AAA will provide plates and a tag for the car (paid for by the buyer). This is the only way I personally would do it. You can make an appointment in most cases, and it is quick and smooth.

I have AAA and I will call them. Thanks! I was going to have the person come to where I live due to all the stuff that goes with the car. That is to prevent someone else coming in the future to get those items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back