Delo CK4 Just Showed Up On WM Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I had gotten a picture. New color scheme, and a tag that proudly boasts "50% less wear than CJ-4!".

I have seen one chart demonstrating that CK4 gives better wear numbers than CJ-4. Any other new info out there?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Wish I had gotten a picture. New color scheme, and a tag that proudly boasts "50% less wear than CJ-4!".

I have seen one chart demonstrating that CK4 gives better wear numbers than CJ-4. Any other new info out there?

That's like royal purple claiming 80 percent wear reduction. I think they got sued for that

I saw the CK4 Delo today as will. whoop de doo . What does 50% less wear than CJ4 actually mean? Even Amsoil doesn't claim 50% less wear

Originally Posted By: CT8
I saw the CK4 Delo today as will. whoop de doo . What does 50% less wear than CJ4 actually mean? Even Amsoil doesn't claim 50% less wear

I believe that 50% is an average figure derived from the full suite of tests used in API test procedures, including cam wear, cylinder and ring wear, etc. It was the same thing when we watched the CJ-4 oils replace the CI-4+ oils. Back in '06 each oil company claimed better wear testing results with the then new CJ-4 stuff.

I'm pretty sure that all of the oil companies are claiming big improvements in wear, not just Delo. This is in addition to the mandated improvements in aeration and oxidation control set for CK-4 oils.

DNewton explained it all pretty well on the other thread about Amsoil in this section. Schaeffer is making similar claims that their new syn blend CK-4 15w40 prevents 85% less wear than a comparable conventional 15w40 CJ-4. Amsoil making similar claims.

So can I assume that by the time we get to CM-4, an engine will run forever without wearing at all?
thumbsup2.gif

So can I assume that by the time we get to CM-4, an engine will run forever without wearing at all?
thumbsup2.gif

Yep. And with CN-4, the engine will start giving spare parts back spontaneously.

Im not so sure why anyone would trash Delo over a factual statement.
Delo is saying exactly that, CK4 50% less wear. As someone above pointed out, that is the average of the standard.
Yes, its marketing, but they are marketing for the standard. I have no idea of the conditions etc.
Engines used to last 80,000 miles, decades later they now last 100,000+ more miles, think its fair to say the improvement in oil helped.

Last edited:
The same oil that claims all the low wear is now abiding by the 800ppm phos limit. Interesting what is used to throw zddp to the sidelines.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Delo is saying exactly that, CK4 50% less wear. As someone above pointed out, that is the average of the standard.
Yes, its marketing, but they are marketing for the standard. I have no idea of the conditions etc.
Engines used to last 80,000 miles, decades later they now last 100,000+ more miles, think its fair to say the improvement in oil helped.

First off, 50% less wear is 1/2 the wear meaning you should be able to get double the service therefore;

The current duramax LML engines are lasting up to 1,000,000 miles. Are you saying the new CK oils will extend that out to 2,000,000 miles??

The shift in Phos to a new lower limit can be offset by other things. Upping or introducing some other element(s) as an additive may have a countering effect. Further, the base stocks can be improved to account for the loss of some elements. In the end, it's wear results that matter. Inputs are only predictors; outputs actually tell the history of what truly happened. What goes in the bottle is not as informative as what comes out of the crankcase.

The API and all the bigs (SOPUS, XOM, Conoco/Phillips, Cognis, etc) are telling us they are seeing reduced wear. Not just in the lab, but real world testing. If they had said "Here - we concocted this in a test-tube and it's never been tried before ..." I'd say the shivering fears would be warranted. But that is not the case. We've seen this coming for a few years now. This is a vetted change from both the licensing entity (API) and the industry (the big lube makers). They say it works. The only OEM I know of that's stirred the cess-pool is Ford with it's ever silly approach to confusing lube "recommendations"; to say they are schizophrenic in this regard is an understatement.

This fear mongering is just version 2.0 of the CJ-4 hysteria from 10 years ago.

And yes, I've seen the new CK-4 product packages on the shelf; the Delo has a pretty new bottle!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CONMCK
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

First off, 50% less wear is 1/2 the wear meaning you should be able to get double the service therefore;

The current duramax LML engines are lasting up to 1,000,000 miles. Are you saying the new CK oils will extend that out to 2,000,000 miles??

No, it doesn't work like that. However, going from memory, I believe Delo has published somewhere that you could see an increase of 20% in life to overhaul using Delo SDE (CK-4) over the old 400LE (CJ-4). It may be in their "transition guide" (?)

Does anyone expect Delo or anyone else to say- "we've spent the last six years and hundreds of millions of dollars developing and testing multiple formulations...and um...well, we got nothing" ?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Does anyone expect Delo or anyone else to say- "we've spent the last six years and hundreds of millions of dollars developing and testing multiple formulations...and um...well, we got nothing" ?
grin.gif

No. They want/need a ROI. That's for sure.

But they probably don't want to risk a class-action lawsuit if their product actually is worse in wear. So to make a claim such as they do, there is a reasonable basis to believe it's true. If only one lube maker claimed it, I'd be skeptical. When the market/industry is doing it, and they risk losing both reputation and lawsuits, they're going to be reasonably sound in their claims. Enough to entice us to use it, but not so much as to brag to an un-provable point.

Again - does this not just reek of circa 2006 and the old CJ-4 versus CI-4 topics?

I agree with all of that dnewton.

If anyone is interested, the Mid America Trucking Show is just over a month away (March 23-25) in Louisville. Anyone can get in and if you register online (I think it's still open), they'll mail you a free pass for the show and save the trouble of registering upon arrival. If you're within driving distance, you're all set. If not, I don't know if you could still reserve a motel room or not.

I'm just letting y'all know in case you want to talk oil with the oil guys and check out their displays. I'm not saying you'll be talking to the people who developed the formulas, but good info and conversation is available. A couple years ago (my last visit), the Chevron guys tore down a Detroit engine on site and put the parts on display for all to see. I'm not saying to expect that but you never know. Chevron used to have a seminar to talk about their oils, but I can't remember if it was daily or just one day. Free coffee, donuts and a little Delo swag of some sort.

Ford has always had a large area for their commercial vehicles, including the Super Duty and vans. They also display their related engines (in a cut-away version for a look inside), as well as the big 6 speed transmission used behind the Powerstroke.

No need to be in trucking to visit. It covers a million square feet indoors and the truck beauty competition outside. Sorry to bring it up here, but it came to mind and isn't worthy of a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back