5w-30 in mower that calls for 10w- 30? (Synthetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to run synthetic in my push mower. Will the 5w- 30 suffice where a 10w-30 is called for? I want to use Briggs and Stratton full synthetic but cannot find the 10w- 30. Thanks!

Last edited:
I must have been mistaken. I had thought it had to be formulated for small engines?? No?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
I must have been mistaken. I had thought it had to be formulated for small engines?? No?

Check the owners manual. My Kholer allows me to run 10w30 so I have PYB 10W30 in it.

I'm not familiar with B&S

B&S now recommends 5w-30 synthetic. You don't have to use their specific oil. As mentioned, Rotella T5 10w-30 is a good option.

Originally Posted By: vronline
B&S now recommends 5w-30 synthetic. You don't have to use their specific oil. As mentioned, Rotella T5 10w-30 is a good option.

Yep, also from elsewhere on their site:

Quote:
We have recently modified our engine oil recommendations to state that you may now use a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in all temperature ranges. We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Oil. The use of this high quality detergent oil assures compliance with Briggs & Stratton warranty requirements regarding the use of appropriate oil.

I've worked on small engines for 12 years now.

B&S recommends 5w30 synthetic to help make the engines cleaner, not necessarily for longevity. Small air-cooled engines run hot. I've seem them burn a lot more oil on a 5w30 synthetic than a HDEO like Rotella.

5w30 synthetic will work perfectly fine, but MAKE SURE you monitor the oil level.

+1 for using the HDEO - 15W40 or 10W30 Delo/Roetella/Delvac/Traveller/Premium Blue etc.

I have a 2007 21 hp Briggs single cylinder zero turn mower that's been running on Rotella 15w40 for over a year.
A 2008 Briggs single cyl - 8000W generator that's running on Rotella 15W40 since last year.
A 1994ish 5hp Flat head briggs thats running on Delo XLE 10W30 since last season.
Even my neighbor now runs Rotella 15W40 in his Briggs generator for over a year.
All no issues.

5-30 will be fine, but I use M1 10-30 in all my OPE, and it has performed very well for me the last 30 years.

Directly from their website:

We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Warranty Certified oils for best performance. Other high-quality detergent oils are acceptable if classified for service SF, SG, SH, SJ or higher. Do not use special additives.

Outdoor temperatures determine the proper oil viscosity for the engine. Use the chart to select the best viscosity for the outdoor temperature range expected. Engines on most outdoor power equipment operate well with 5W30 Synthetic oil. For equipment operated in hot temperatures, Vanguard 15W50 Synthetic oil provides the best protection.

-Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40° F and higher (5° C and higher)
-Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C), this grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher
-A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption
-Use SAE 5W-30 for very cold temperatures of 40° F and below (5° C and below)
-For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F)
-Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
-Do not use special additives.
-Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.

Oil_rec_chart.jpg

Looking to run synthetic in my push mower. Will the 5w- 30 suffice where a 10w-30 is called for? I want to use Briggs and Stratton full synthetic but cannot find the 10w- 30. Thanks!

Well since Briggs themselves says that Synthetic 5W30 offers the BEST performance for your engine, you can safely use synthetic 5W30.

From the Briggs website: "A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption"

API certified oil is API certified oil. MOST "lawn mower" oils are just repackaged automotive oils, at 2-3 times the cost. Some oils, like John Deere and Kohler, are heavy duty engine oils which will be very similar to the diesel, dual rated for gasoline and diesel, heavy duty engine oils such as Rotella or Delo.

Don't waste your money on Briggs and Stratton full synthetic, which is typically $10/quart or more. ANY synthetic 10W30 at Wal-Mart or your local parts store can be found for $5 or less per quart.

If you want perhaps the best lawn mower oil you can find, then dont look past synthetic blend Rotella or Delo 10W30.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Synth...amp;visitor_id=

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T5-10W-30-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-1-gal./20573564

The engine isn't Briggs. Was just looking at using their synthetic oil. My engine is a Honda. Sorry for the confusion.

The engine isn't Briggs. Was just looking at using their synthetic oil. My engine is a Honda. Sorry for the confusion.

GCV160? ANY conventional SAE30, conventional 10W30, or synthetic 10W30 will be more than adequate.

Delo or Rotella 10W30 would be my pick.

If you already have a stock of synthetic 5W30 to use up, then YES, it will be fine.

Yes a synthetic 5w30 completely replaces any mineral sae 30 or 10w30 in these applications. If you are buying this new I would just go straight to the 10w30 synthetic since a lawnmower doesn't need extra cold flow properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back