Altimax RT43 or Pirelli Cinturato P7 PLUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

After 18,100 miles on my 2015 Civic EX, I would like to dump these mediocre at best OEM Conti Pro Contact tires. Even though they are wearing perfectly evenly all around, they are wearing very fast and now becoming somewhat harsh riding and loud. I do always maintain 32 PSI in the tires.

So I have finally narrowed my choices down to either the General Altimax RT43 or the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. Which of these two would proof to be the better fit for my 2015 Civic as far as smoothness, ride comfort and handling and decent wet handling? I am an elderly man, 54, so I am NOT an aggressive or spirited driver.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I cannot speak to the Generals, but we have the Pirellis installed on a 2009 Caddy DTS for about 6K miles now and they have been great. It's too early to tell about wear, but hoping to get above average mileage out of them. In all other departments (quietness, ride, handling, wet weather performance) they have exceeded expectations.

Hmmm...I'm almost your age and drive like a complete lunatic at times.
I know that I shouldn't, but it happens anyway. I'm usually pretty good...

As for the tires, I don't know an awful lot about the P7 but bought the RT43 for my daughter's Impreza. I wanted decent winter performance in an all season and I think it has been working well, she is a student who is generally going to be home during big storms but still needs to handle light snow and refrozen roads. They seem a bit rumbly to me in dry conditions, which I would think is a side effect of an aggressive tread that works well in winter conditions, so they might not be a great choice if smoothness is a top priority for you.

I have the P7 Plus on 2 cars and couldn't be any happier with them, nice ride, quiet, good winter performance and they hold their balance well. I have the RT43 on a AWD Subaru Legacy, not a bad tire but short lived, I keep them rotated, front end aligned and they wear even.

We have had both the RT43s & P7 A/S+ and both are great tires.

*Neither tire is loud(in my experience) while driving however, the Pirelli's are noticeably quieter while driving.
*The Generals are a bit more absorbent over rough surfaces/broken pavement.
*Both are very, very good in the snow(for A/S tires) but the RT43 have an edge in the deep(er) snow.
*Both handle extremely well however the RT43s have an edge on TireRack wet testing...I can't tell the difference!

My choice would be the P7 for overallness and the RT43's for their waaaaay better price.

The P7's are excellent on our Camry SE. Nice sporty ride and turns on a dime.

The only complaint I had was that the guys at Discount Tire mounted one with the inside facing out. SO I caught that a couple weeks later. I now have a spare tire brand new in my basement.

The RT-43, for the overall performance and much better value. They've been great on my wife's Volvo.

And, you're only 54, so stop calling yourself elderly!

I don't think that you could go wrong with either of them.
I have the Pirelli's on my Accord. I have been happy with them in every regard. However, they are not a value tire.
I have the RT-43 on our Odyssey. They hit the sweet spot between value and performance.
I turned 55 this month, so I'm as elderly as you are.

I had the P7's on my VW. They were by far my favorite tire of all time.

I've got the RT43s on my Camry. I like them, tread life hasn't been fantastic but still pretty good considering the price. Handling isn't the best but it's an old Camry.

Try out the RT43s with some mail in rebates and get them nice and cheap.

+1 for the RT43. We have a set on the GF's Matrix and they are excellent. Very comfy and quiet. They are probably the best value/performance all season tire there is currently on the market. I see you are in Jersey so it is worth mentioning that they are better than most all seasons in the snow and slush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back