Long lasting durable wax recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
For as long as I can remember I have been using nu finish liquid. Seems to do the job but am open to trying something new. My car stays outside year around and endures all the harsh conditions. Idealy, the less frequently I have to put on the wax the better. So about once every 6 months. That means carnauba is out of the equation. I have heard good things about mothers synthetic wax..

Last edited:
Is it ok to have a sealant coat on the car first before applying these products? I put on turtle wax ice shine lock sealant last weekend.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Is it ok to have a sealant coat on the car first before applying these products? I put on turtle wax ice shine lock sealant last weekend.

It's actually a fairly common practice to put a long-lasting sealant down before applying wax. The logic is the sealant lasts longer and provides long-lasting protection, while the wax provides a better shine.

Keep in mind, however, that many of the suggestions you're likely to get in this thread will either be a sealant (Synthetic waxes fall into this category), or a hybrid wax of some sort (like Collinite).

Having said that.. Collinite 476 is a great wax, so you can't go wrong with it, but it can be difficult to wipe off. I'm partial to another Collinite product - 845 - which is a liquid hybrid wax. Tremendous shine and durability.

There's also Finish Kare FK1000P Hi Temp paste wax, which is an incredible hybrid wax as well.

Both the Collinite 845 and the FK1000P can be had for under $20 on Amazon.

gallydif : I saw your location - I'd like to put in an order of Mojo Pork with Black Beans & Rice , Cubano Bread and fried Plantains - Good Eats !

I'm a big fan of Maguiars Ultimate liquid. You can go the route of "botique" waxes if you like, but for me, I like being able to go to the store and replenish when necessary, and don't imagine I'm sacrificing durability.

I can personally vouch for the Collinite 476 in my cool climate. I would try something else if I didn't have access to a dual action polisher. Meguires ultimate is perfectly OK and you can just go to the store and buy it. No mail order necessary. A lot of people in the South like the North Carolina formulated two part Duragloss product.

I'm an outlier. Optimum spray wax. It's really a spray sealant. It will last as long as an average sealant only it goes on like a spray wax. Very similar in appearance and durability to the Jetseal product. It does have a narrow temperature range for use, so that might be an issue for you in the summertime.

Long time Collinite 476 user. Switched to CG Jetseal this winter. Just gave the truck it's first wash to rinse the road salt off to find out any traces of Jetseal is already gone. Will be going back to Collinite, but 845 this time so I can use the DA and not have to do it by hand.

To those who think 476 is hard to use, thinner is better.

I recommend Klasse

The protection it provides is really good. My brother's Civic and Dad's Tundra are outside 24/7, no garages for them. Klasse protects them very well, even better than other products I have tried. I have used Zaino, Duragloss, Collinite, and Optimum. Optimum does a good job for the UV protection with their Optiseal and Car Wax, and durability and looks is good too. The "just waxed" look really lasted for a while with the Optimum products, I was impressed. When it comes to protecting the surface, Klasse has been the best.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klasse.html

Klasse AIO is great. Use it all the time.

Klasse HGSG takes some practice as it is quite finicky. This is where "thinnest application is the best" really applies.

Originally Posted By: ZebRuaj
Klasse AIO is great. Use it all the time.

Klasse HGSG takes some practice as it is quite finicky. This is where "thinnest application is the best" really applies.

Yes, you're right. if Klasse HGSG is put on too heavy, it is hard to buff off the paint. I learned to apply sealants thin, THIN when I first started using Zaino because I was applying it too thick and heavy and had trouble wiping it off until I learned to apply it thin.

Applied thinly, Klasse HGSG is very easy to wipe off.

If I lived down south, had a new car and hadn't already spent a stupid amount of money on a DA polisher and hadn't bought a lifetime size can of Collinite 476 (hey, it was a bargain!) I would go with Duragloss.

It's two part in the sense that you put a dab of this and a dab of that on your pad, I think, not that you go over the car twice.

Then I would experiment with using the Optimum spray wax three or four times a year in the cooler months as a kind of booster. Sometimes two products are compatible and sometimes they aren't.

With luck and good timing you might get by with twice or even once a year on the Duragloss. That would be a lot of shine and protection for not much effort or money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back