Why are car manufactures now blinding

Status
Not open for further replies.
On-comer drivers?

Leds are good but driving against traffic nowadays su_x

I'll just like to take a q beam to the genius that thought it was great idea to aim them or set them in the blue prints

I don't buy it. Modern headlights are brighter, sure, but they have less dazzle and cast less light in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

I suspect that the lights blinding you have been "upgraded" by fools.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't buy it. Modern headlights are brighter, sure, but they have less dazzle and cast less light in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

I suspect that the lights blinding you are fools with "upgraded" headlights.

I'd like to think this too... However my most recent experiences being almost completely blinded were from new model vehicles that I know are equipped with LED from the factory-- vehicles that are new enough that the owner's money is going to an expensive car payment, not extra doo-dads or fancy headlights.. I about had to come to a complete stop a couple times this weekend because it was in a pitch black area that gets a lot of traffic. I don't encounter this at all in the city, just on rural roads where there's no moon or road lighting.

I'm in my mid-thirties with eyes of a hawk, so I'd like to think it's not grandpa-fever setting in. I have to wonder where the DOT does their testing, in the middle of New York City?

Most chevy trucks have horrible HID glare.

Some vehicles with hid lights are not even as good as my halogens were on my subaru

Case in point the new jeep cherokee.

And then you have the idiots that put HID in anything with MASSIVE glare.

on a whole nother level of tardness you have the massive lightbar people.

Some guy in a brotruck had 5 of them on his hood and front bumper all turned on in regular traffic the other day... along with his retrofitted hid/led bulb halogen housings and foglights.

I couldnt see at all. is this the new rolling coal.. only rolling lights?

I have some starbursting/halo anyway from my lasik surgery. I was literally BLIND and this wasnt even a dark street there were street lights every other telephone pole.. on a 4 lane city street.

IF someone had shot the idiot I wouldnt have felt bad AT ALL. hes a rolling menace to society.

Probably laughs when people put their arm up to attempt to block some of the lights
and try to see.
I feel it is assault with a deadly weapon.. if I crash into someone or a tree from their illegal
hundreds of watts of led lights.

I feel like they really need to step up enforcement.. maybe a mandatory $500-1000 fine with a fix it ticket.
similar to how they changed handicapped parking from $10 parking ticket to $250-$500 here.

Final note:
Some of the new auto high beam assist dont work well. They blind me for 5seconds or so before turning off.

OP I completely agree. Acura with their stupid jewel projectors and leds are the worst offenders. Nearly blinded me. Now when I see them coming I look the other way or pop my rear view. Audi is very good in that respect. I've looked at them straight on and didn't feel a thing. And the absolute worst is seeing those hideous HIDs in halogen lenses. People need help.. These bright lights are good for the drivers, but at what cost? More testing needs to be done to fix this problem.

Take a look at the newer Corolla with the factory LED headlights. Those dazzle.

I only notice one vehicle consistenly having super offending headlights and that is the newer generation 2007 + Tundra. Those trucks are at the perfect height to be blinding to us in cars.

Originally Posted By: Danno

Take a look at the newer Corolla with the factory LED headlights. Those dazzle.
That's another offender I forgot to mention.

Count me in. I'm 25 and don't have particular trouble seeing in adverse lighting, but it's especially bad living in areas where I drive on 90% 2-lane roads. A new truck coming over even a slight hill, or a sedan cresting a more pronounced hill, can effectively ruin my vision for several seconds because the "low beams" are only low in that they're aimed low with a very defined upper pattern - but when the road places me within that area, they might as well have their highs on because of the intensity. Also a problem when said modern vehicles are behind me and go over a bump or bridge seam, causing the low beams' sharply defined upper pattern to flash into my mirror making me wonder if there's something wrong and they flashed their lights at me. Front-end lighting has officially surpassed the threshold of what's practical or necessary. High beams? Make 'em as bright as you want as long as people can have the presence of mind to turn them down when approached. Low beams need to be just enough to see the road by or it creates a more dangerous situation than it prevents.

I agree with all of the above. At my age I rarely drive after dark anymore. Combination of headlights with fog lights, and then people driving with their high beams on, makes it tough.

Agree with OP - yes, there are some idiots "upgrading" their lights, but most of the culprits I know are new cars. One of the worst for me is Cadillac.

Back in the 60's-70's here in Texas you had to have your headlights alignment checked during inspection. They don't anymore. Don't know when or why they stopped that. I think they need to establish some kind of check to make sure the glare in the oncoming lane is not too much.

Oh, and my 24 yr old son complains about it also, so it's not just us "old guys".

Yepp it is not just the "old guys". I'm 21, and driving home at night on roads that aren't lit can be unbearable with the newer cars with LEDs.

There is this long flat stretch road I'm on and there was car at the very end so I turned my high beams off. They had LEDs and I thought the whole time they kept their high beams on. When they got close to me I blipped my high beams as it was unbearable and the flashed their high beams at me back.

Its even worse when you encounter them going up a hill.

Lighting regulations are out of date, and need to be updated. For example, all vehicles with tow packages should have auto-leveling headlamps. Another example, IIHS says federal regulations do not adequately control headlight glare.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Yepp it is not just the "old guys". I'm 21, and driving home at night on roads that aren't lit can be unbearable with the newer cars with LEDs.

There is this long flat stretch road I'm on and there was car at the very end so I turned my high beams off. They had LEDs and I thought the whole time they kept their high beams on. When they got close to me I blipped my high beams as it was unbearable and the flashed their high beams at me back.

Its even worse when you encounter them going up a hill.

+1

I'm 26 with pretty good vision and have the same experience. I'd say they are almost worse than some of the poor HID retrofits in a stock halogen housing. The retrofits are just really blue, the LEDs are blinding to the point where I see dots afterward or can't see the road lines for a split second. This is in the Cherokee which isn't exactly low to the ground, my mom's Fit is even worse.

I believe a lot of it has to do with poor aiming from the factory. Aimed too high and too much in the direction of on-coming traffic. DOT lighting standards are a JOKE. Blind oncoming drivers while providing little usable light shining on the road. My Cherokee has aftermarket H4 Euro-spec halogen housings. Plenty of light on the road with a sharp cut-off that doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

I met a new Ford F150 with the HIDs and LEDs around the headlight. It was blinding and of course they also had the LED fog lights on too.

part of it is the FMVSS regs. Corolla LED's, have a band of light above the cutoff for lighting signs, especially overhead signs that are not lit.

JeepWJ19 said:

Its even worse when you encounter them going up a hill. [/quote ]

I was taught in a Defensive Driving course back in 1969 never to do this. There will then be two blinded drivers approaching each other. You just have to take it.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier

I was taught in a Defensive Driving course back in 1969 never to do this. There will then be two blinded drivers approaching each other. You just have to take it.

I will flash other drivers if I'm certain they're using high beams, and they're at enough of a distance for this action to be useful- sort of pointless to flash someone if the damage is already done and they have no time to turn them off before passing you. I don't do it for the middle finger effect, but simply because I want to pass by without being blinded.

Most of the time, it's someone not paying attention and they happily comply. Heck, I'm not perfect, I forget mine on occasion and would rather someone make me aware with a brief flash than to let me blind them.

I just don't agree that flashing is a bad or dangerous practice. I suppose it could be, if abused though...

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: Drosselmier

I will flash other drivers if I'm certain they're using high beams, and they're at enough of a distance for this action to be useful- sort of pointless to flash someone if the damage is already done and they have no time to turn them off before passing you. I don't do it for the middle finger effect, but simply because I want to pass by without being blinded.

Most of the time, it's someone not paying attention and they happily comply. Heck, I'm not perfect, I forget mine on occasion and would rather someone make me aware with a brief flash than to let me blind them.

I just don't agree that flashing is a bad or dangerous practice. I suppose it could be, if abused though...

Done at a distance to get other driver's attention is OK, not when up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back