Replacing Hydraulic Lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother in law has a 1992 V6 VP Calais its got a sticky lifter as diagnosed by myself and a good friend of mine (who is a mechanic) can someone give me some pointers on how to replace them

Edit: it's a GM LG2 3800 V6 with 401,000Kms

Last edited:
I need to do the intake gasket and valve cover gaskets at next service so i thought i should takle it while everything is relatively easy to get to

I also want to upgrade mine to roller lifters and rocker arms so i need to gain some knowledge prior to that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tommyboy97

I also want to upgrade mine to roller lifters and rocker arms so i need to gain some knowledge prior to that.

This conversion is a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger job that you are probably anticipating.

You do know the cam needs to be swapped out, right?

How much money do you **really** want to spend on this?

Originally Posted By: Tommyboy97
I need to do the intake gasket and valve cover gaskets at next service so i thought i should takle it while everything is relatively easy to get to

Your Series II L36 should already have roller lifters....

LG 2 had flat tappet LG3 had rollers. I wouldn't even contemplate converting an engine with that many Km on it without doing a full rebuild just replace it with a later model with harness and ECM.

Oil pressure is fine thr lifter is sticking for about 5 mins after startup and im not even going to bother putting roller lifters in this car I want to put roller lifters and rocker arms on my car which details are below

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
LG 2 had flat tappet LG3 had rollers. I wouldn't even contemplate converting an engine with that many Km on it without doing a full rebuild just replace it with a later model with harness and ECM.

GM parts direct shows roller lifters for the L36, unless I'm doing something wrong?

The car he's listing in his sig is a 1996, whilst the LG2 is 1984-1988, no?

Perhaps the confusion stems from his mom's car having the LG2 (the one he's currently working on) whilst the one he's talking about converting to roller I had assumed was the one in his signature, which is a 1996, and should already be roller from what I'm seeing
21.gif

Its an Australian model Holden its not an L36, we didn't have the Calais in NA in 92, production ended in 91 and they used a 3300. Now I'm confused I thought he wanted to convert the 92. Jesus 2 different engines in the same thread.
If his is an L36 or LG3 its a roller cam but that one has 336,000 Km on it too so I wouldn't bother with that either.

Last edited:
Its an Australian model Holden its not an L36, we didn't have the Calais in NA in 92, production ended in 91 and they used a 3300. Now I'm confused I thought he wanted to convert the 92. Jesus 2 different engines in the same thread.

Yep, I knew it was an Australian model, I was only ever talking about the 96 in his sig, which should have a Series II L36 according to the WIki, LOL
wink.gif
As that was the one he was talking about doing a roller conversion on was my impression. Unless of course there's another car here that hasn't been mentioned, hahahahah
grin.gif

Holden Commodore (VS)

Quote:
Launched in April 1995, the VS Commodore served as a mechanical update of the second generation architecture, destined to assist sales before the all-new VT model in August 1997. The extent of exterior changes veered not much further than a redesigned Holden logo and wheel trims.[2] An updated Ecotec (Emissions and Consumption Optimisation through TEChnology) version of the Buick V6 engine coincided with the changes to the engine in the United States. The Ecotec engine packed 13 percent more power, an increase of 17 kilowatts (23 hp) over the VR, cut fuel consumption by 5 percent, and increased the compression ratio from 9.0:1 to 9.4:1. Holden mated the new engine with a modified version of the GM 4L60-E automatic transmission, bringing improved throttle response and smoother changes between gears.[2] Safety features were also improved, with a passenger airbag becoming available. The limited edition VS wagon with manual gear box was limited to a production of 300.

The Series II update of June 1996 brought elliptical side turn signals, interior tweaks and the introduction of a L67 Supercharged V6 engine for selected trim levels.[2] The new supercharged engine slotted in between the existing engines in the lineup and was officially rated at 165 kW (221 hp), just 3 kW (4.0 hp) below the V8.

Right. His should be an L36 and have rollers in it already that's why I thought he wanted to convert the older engine. Sorry I wasn't following you or this whole business.

Right. His should be an L36 and have rollers in it already that's why I thought he wanted to convert the older engine. Sorry I wasn't following you or this whole business.

No problem, I could be off in left field too if there's another engine that we don't know about
grin.gif

I have squirted carb cleaner down a lifter that wouldn't pump up. It worked surprisingly good.

If his is an L36 or LG3 its a roller cam but that one has 336,000 Km on it too so I wouldn't bother with that one either

I am going to rebuild the engine and fit a new cam lifters push rods and rocker arms my car has a hydraulic flat tappet cam as standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back