Some GM 1.5 turbos not doing too well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a YouTube video that was uploaded and was about a new Malibu having severe blow by. The person talked about these engines melting the pistons. I can find the video anymore, but it seems like an issue that started early on.

This is why i opted for my 15 malibu with the 2.5L 4cyl. The salesman asked if i wamted to wanted 2 wait a few months for the 16 with the 1.5L but i told him no. The 2.5 in my Malibu has more HP. I had a 2017 malibu with the 1.5L as a loaner car today i dont like the motor but the electronics were nice in it. Also on a side note whoever had the car before me left a pistol in the car. Haha

Sounds like there's a certain set of conditions that doesn't play well with the stock fuel maps. Melting means too hot which means that engine is running super-lean at points. Not good when the engine is in and out of boost continually like a modern GM turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Also on a side note whoever had the car before me left apistol in the car. Haha

Sweet!I Free gun! What did you do with it? What kind was it?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also on a side note whoever had the car before me left apistol in the car. Haha

Sweet!I Free gun! What did you do with it? What kind was it?

I don't know I didn't touch it. I called the dealer and told them about it. They took the gun out of car when I drop the loaner back off. My salesman said they get a lot of officers tht come in for service.

Has any mfg. mastered this new GDI/Turbo platform? I don't think so, mine hasn't been any trouble but it's diluting the oil with fuel which gives me the creeps.

This is why i opted for my 15 malibu with the 2.5L 4cyl. The salesman asked if i wamted to wanted 2 wait a few months for the 16 with the 1.5L but i told him no. The 2.5 in my Malibu has more HP. I had a 2017 malibu with the 1.5L as a loaner car today i dont like the motor but the electronics were nice in it. Also on a side note whoever had the car before me left a pistol in the car. Haha

How in the F do you just forget a gun in the car?! How many pistols must a person own to not realize their side piece is in the loaner.

This might explain the brand new Cruze I saw sitting on the side of the road smoking / burning oil like I have never seen before.

What a poorly written article. I had to really search, and found a TSB for detonation. I guess technically that is a melting engine...but this hardly seems widespread.

GM Program #:
N162071350

Date Issued:
Feb 04, 2017

Program Title:

Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI) Causing Cracked Piston

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 1.5L LFV engine may have a pre-ignition condition that could cause piston damage. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil consumption could increase. In addition, a service engine light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If the condition is present, and the repair below is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, a piston may be damaged and the engine may need to be repaired or replaced.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) and change the engine oil with ACDelco dexos 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil of the part number as indicated in the parts section. (In Canada use the exact Mobil 1 part number specified in the parts section). It is very important that only oil with the correct part number is used in this repair.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
This might explain the brand new Cruze I saw sitting on the side of the road smoking / burning oil like I have never seen before.
Cruze has the 1.4L

right, these mfg's all have one thing in common, they're unable to lubricate the GDI/Turbo platforms.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
There was a YouTube video that was uploaded and was about a new Malibu having severe blow by. The person talked about these engines melting the pistons. I can find the video anymore, but it seems like an issue that started early on.

was that video by daniel Jaeger films?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What a poorly written article. I had to really search, and found a TSB for detonation. I guess technically that is a melting engine...but this hardly seems widespread.

GM Program #:
N162071350

Date Issued:
Feb 04, 2017

Program Title:

Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI) Causing Cracked Piston

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 1.5L LFV engine may have a pre-ignition condition that could cause piston damage. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil consumption could increase. In addition, a service engine light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If the condition is present, and the repair below is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, a piston may be damaged and the engine may need to be repaired or replaced.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) and change the engine oil with ACDelco dexos 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil of the part number as indicated in the parts section. (In Canada use the exact Mobil 1 part number specified in the parts section). It is very important that only oil with the correct part number is used in this repair.

So reprogramming will the ECM will change the MPG and emissions, already certified before. Anybody know how the EPA grants re-certification for engine mapping changes like that which affect emissions and original MPG tests?

Also, first I've seen where a normal synth-blend dexos1 oil isn't good enough here; They are calling for fully synthetic here expecting that helps reduce LSPI. Interesting.

They did all that durability testing in prototypes and engine development, and now this is discovered. Maybe only specific brands of engine oils are causing this, as LSPI research seems to point to particular additive compounds to blame for LSPI, and some oils may have more of the culprit additives. Of course, on the inside at GM, they must have asked what motor oil was being used, out of the many dexos1 oils out there.

Have TSBs like this been generated for any of the other DI+turbo engines made by other manufacturers? VW, Ecoboost, BMW, etc.?

Have a 16 Fusion with a 1.5 turbo for over a year. 10,000 miles, no fuel dilution I can smell or detect. Done 2 oil changes with synthetic at about 4500 miles. So far, I think somebody got it right. Great little engine.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

So reprogramming will the ECM will change the MPG and emissions, already certified before. Anybody know how the EPA grants re-certification for engine mapping changes like that which affect emissions and original MPG tests?

The manufacturer will provide a disclosure document to the EPA saying what they are changing, why they are changing it, and the impact the changes will have. Typically, this will involve testing to show that the new calibrations are not worse than before. A full recertification is typically not necessary. However, if the vehicle is later found to be operating outside what was in the disclosure document things can become messy in a hurry.

It is important to note that emissions are "binned" so that you can make some changes to the emissions and still not fall outside of the "bin."

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Also, first I've seen where a normal synth-blend dexos1 oil isn't good enough here; They are calling for fully synthetic here expecting that helps reduce LSPI. Interesting.

They did all that durability testing in prototypes and engine development, and now this is discovered. Maybe only specific brands of engine oils are causing this, as LSPI research seems to point to particular additive compounds to blame for LSPI, and some oils may have more of the culprit additives. Of course, on the inside at GM, they must have asked what motor oil was being used, out of the many dexos1 oils out there.

Have TSBs like this been generated for any of the other DI+turbo engines made by other manufacturers? VW, Ecoboost, BMW, etc.?

Some 2014-5 Forester XTs as well as some 2015 WRXs were recalled for LSPI, my vehicle was involved. I know that some early Veloster turbos were suffering from severe LSPI damage and believe there was a recall involved there, too.

Good short article from Infineum on this topic...

http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/nov-2016/quenching-low-speed-pre-ignition

I have been freaked out about LSPI since I first heard about it on this site and the recall involving my car only made that worse. I have used M1 5W30 vanilla/EP/ESP for some time since they consistently show low calcium in UOAs and VOAs, T6 5W40 is also low calcium but there are other things about it that make it less attractive to me. Seems like many Castrol synthetic formulations were showing low calcium in analyses around 2013-4 but there has been some evidence that at least some of those formulations have been changed to have MORE calcium since then, here is a thread on BITOG about Edge 5W20.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4294324/Re:_'10_Genesis_Coupe_V6_Edge_#Post4294324

This is probably just semantics, but I'd argue that these engines are blowing themselves up rather than melting themselves...

I looked at a few used Cruz's last year. I like turbo cars, but checked out one of the Cruz forums and decided my 30 year old turbo engine will be more reliable since it's very easy to maintain and repair. GM went down hill after the reorganization. Now overpriced and too many cut corners. No more GM's for me.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Has any mfg. mastered this new GDI/Turbo platform? I don't think so, mine hasn't been any trouble but it's diluting the oil with fuel which gives me the creeps.

A few have.

However, this engine isn't GDI. GDI would have prevented this most likely.

Edit: Apparently this engine is GDI.

Ford doesn't have any issues with GTDI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back