Newspapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to get multiple papers delivered every day. Now I get none and will buy the Sunday Chicago Tribune at Menards because it's $1.

I stopped because of shoddy delivery. First the papers pushed back the delivery time to well after I leave for work and I see no sense getting the "morning" paper that evening, assuming it's still there when I get home. Quit that and then got suckered into a 12-week, Sunday-only delivery for a bargain price.

Week 1 - paper delivered
Week 2 - no paper. Called for re-delivery, still no paper. Called for credit
Week 3 - paper delivered
Week 4 - paper delivered
Week 5 - no paper, no re-delivery when requested.
Week 6 - paper delivered, was thrown so that when it hit the driveway, the open end of the bag faced the house and the paper slid onto the driveway. Fortunately it was pouring rain so the soaked paper was too heavy to blow away.

At that point I quit, demanded refund and haven't been back since.

I'm actually surprised print newspapers are still in existence. It's such an archaic form of information delivery. Cut down trees, create paper, ship said paper to a location, print 24-48 hour old information on it, put it on a truck, drop it off.
The last time I even held an actual print newspaper I'd already read every article - the day before. I guess if you're into the Dear Abby column or need kindling for your fireplace you'd still be buying them, but that's about all they're good for.

If you get your news from only one source....you're more than likely an ill informed individual.

Nope. The previous owners of my house apparently subscribed to the New York Times. After I moved in, they would still deliver the paper. I would always toss it directly into the recycle bin. Eventually I got tired of throwing them away every day, so I tried calling the New York Times to put a stop to it, but the papers still came. Then around Christmas time, there was a Christmas card rubber-banded around the paper. The card was from a couple in town who apparently deliver all kinds of newspapers to everyone in town. I wrote a letter to them and asked them to stop delivering to my house. That finally stopped the newspaper delivery.

I still receive a local newspaper in the mail once a week. I remove the coupon book from it and toss the rest of the paper in the recycle bin.

I began reading the paper when I was 9 years old. It was daily ritual through high school, college and into middle age. Then the local paper was sold to Gannett (like so many across the country) and the decline was profound. They let go or lost most of the local writers who knew the area and replaced them with their carousel of "McPaper" writers and reporters. The slant to the reporting became obvious and the content was a mere skeleton of it's former self. I discontinued my subscription a few years after the decline began.

I do have access to the archives of this paper that date back to the late 1890's. A browse through any edition from the 50's up to the 90's shows how the quality and content have dropped since then. The current online version of the paper is almost unnavigable with the myriad of ads, trackers and cookies (my ad blocker often counts in excess of 60 trackers on a single page).

Apologies for the mini rant, but most of my neighbors and friends have noticed the same thing and it stinks to no longer have a reliable and complete local news presence in my city.

We subscribe to our local paper, but I would describe it as more yellow journalism, than quality journalism. Once locally owned, it is now owned by people from a state way up in the northeast corner of the country, who have ways and beliefs very, very, different from our own. The birds and other pets still find it useful - that's the only reason we pay for it.

Quality journalism is dead in this country.

Newspapers are useless for most things. The only thing remotely useful is the local sections but you can get that info on facebook/etc these days. I got the paper for years. The prices kept going up and I found I took fewer out of the plastic.

I would sub to the online version if it wasn't expensive and still full of ads.

Last edited:
I don't pay for anything. My library has all of the popular papers in digital format. My company does have a paper subscription to Time that comes in every week that I try to read during my breaks.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink (read)the koolaid.

Fixed that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back