Hyundai GDI - Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I just picked up a 2015 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L GDI engine with 52k miles. The owner's manual says "Add Fuel Additive" at every 7,500 interval and then says "If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive is rec- ommended. Additives are available from your authorized HYUNDAI dealer along with information on how to use them. Do not mix other additives."

I usually fill up at Valero or Arco. I'd still like to use a fuel additive every once in a while.

Which one? Techron? If so, the "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" or the "Fuel Injector Cleaner"?

Thanks

It should be very obvious to you what this stuff is:
81uhyz8rISL._SY679_.jpg
517CW7gcZiL._SY679_.jpg

"Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner Plus (P/N 00232-19047) is now the approved and recommended service product for complete fuel system cleaning during routine service and preventative maintenance.

NOTE :

A 20 ounce bottle treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline.
For use in all gasoline engines (MPI or GDI systems).
Can be used as often as 3,000 miles or at every oil change.
Cleans fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers.
Protects fuel level sending units against damage from sulfur content in fuel.
Cleans and protects critical fuel system components from corrosion.
Does not harm the emission system or leave behind combustion chamber deposits.

Regular use of Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner Plus with TECHRON Technology can help address engine carbon deposit related conditions. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored engine performance and efficiency, smoother running idle, and cleaner tailpipe emissions."

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
It should be very obvious to you what this stuff is:
81uhyz8rISL._SY679_.jpg

"Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner Plus (P/N 00232-19047) is now the approved and recommended service product for complete fuel system cleaning during routine service and preventative maintenance.

NOTE :

A 20 ounce bottle treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline.
For use in all gasoline engines (MPI or GDI systems).
Can be used as often as 3,000 miles or at every oil change.
Cleans fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers.
Protects fuel level sending units against damage from sulfur content in fuel.
Cleans and protects critical fuel system components from corrosion.
Does not harm the emission system or leave behind combustion chamber deposits.

Regular use of Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner Plus with TECHRON Technology can help address engine carbon deposit related conditions. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored engine performance and efficiency, smoother running idle, and cleaner tailpipe emissions."

Why should it be very obvious to me what that stuff is?

Lol, and then Ramblejam edits his post and adds in the Techron.

It's quite obvious the bottles are the same and likely the same inside.

I was making this post to see if there was any others I should consider.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol, and then Ramblejam edits his post and adds in the Techron.

It's quite obvious the bottles are the same and likely the same inside.

I was making this post to see if there was any others I should consider.

In my Kia Optima (2.0L Turbo), I always run either Costco or Shell Nitro+ 93 Octane E10 gas (both Top Tier gas) but once a year run some Redline SI-1 cleaner in the fuel tank. I picked it over the Techron (also good stuff) due to my opinion that it is a more powerful cleaner. In the past, I also have used a can of BG44K in tank.

Nice car Nick...

Our Hyundai 2.0T gets Chevron fuel (mostly Premium), and either Gumout (gold bottle) or Techron every oil change. So your plan makes sense to me.

In addition to using Top Tier fuel and Techron every now and then, let the engine fully warm up and give her some revs. VW actually recommends this on some of their units with carbon deposit issues.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
In addition to using Top Tier fuel and Techron every now and then, let the engine fully warm up and give her some revs. VW actually recommends this on some of their units with carbon deposit issues.
I've been mostly driving it around on Eco mode to see how it does for fuel economy. But I do wring it out every once in a while. No problems with letting it warm up, my daily commute is 66 miles a day, sometimes more.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Same bottle design Nick
smile.gif

It does admit having techron technology ON the bottle...

Buy from WM - Your choice below , use every 5,000 miles (even if you use Top Tier Gas) :
Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Italian Tune Up
: Get out on the Interstate and find a gear that will let you run at 4,000 RPM's for 15 to 20 minutes of steady driving . This will help clear out intake valve deposits (which no cleaner will touch on a GDI engine) . Do this right before oil changes .
In Phoenix use either Pennzoil Pure Plus Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 synthetic (with Hyundai or Fram Ultimate oil filter) and change it out every 4,000 to 5,000 miles max. You have a GDI engine and will do best with a low NOACK , synthetic oil and shorter OCI's to keep intake deposits at bay . Check my signature - Without question this is: "Hyundai GDI Engine 101" protocol. While newer ('14 and later Sonata) have less intake valve deposits (thanks to better VVT and computer set up) they still are GDI engines and need a smart protocol as myself and others will confirm is a prudent , long term measure to ensure good reliability and performance over the life of the GDI engine .

Just bought an Elantra and it looks like the Hyundai fuel cleaner is a profit maker for the dealership. The 7,500 service interval includes oil change, tire rotation, inspecting stuff, and fuel system cleaner for $76.94. An oil change is $36.94 at 3,750. I am sure my dealership will skip the part about using top tier gas when recommending this package to the average person.

Fortunately, I have Techron in stock and am ready for a hard sale at the dealership.

Use Techron concentrate. It is the same as the Hyundai/KIA fuel system cleaner. To prevent GDI carbon issues its pretty simple. I would really suggest a high quality low NOACK synthetic in 5w-30. Yes 5w-30 in the Theta-II 2.4L which calls for 5w-20, this engine shears oil pretty bad and has heavy fuel dilution issues. 30 weight is ok by Hyunday/KIA , 20 weight is recommended for fuel economy. If your gonna change your oil , use only the Hyundai/KIA filter. No other filter is as good for these engines, no aftermarket filter comes close. Use high quality gasoline , poor quality gasoline can contribute. Last when your in for service , inquire if the ECM and TCM have the latest updated software. Hyundai/KIA constantly are updating modules to improve performance, efficiency and longevity.

I bought a bottle of Techron and poured it in the tank tonight. Went to a Chevron station just for the heck of it to fill it up.

I'll try to run it through this tank of gas this week. It's so good on gas it'll be tough, this week was over 31 mpg. Next weekend I'll change the oil. I've got 2 OEM filters for it and I'll probably use my Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 for the oil change. The good old stuff with the NOACK in the 6's.

I will not run a 20 weight oil in it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I bought a bottle of Techron and poured it in the tank tonight. Went to a Chevron station just for the heck of it to fill it up.

I'll try to run it through this tank of gas this week. It's so good on gas it'll be tough, this week was over 31 mpg. Next weekend I'll change the oil. I've got 2 OEM filters for it and I'll probably use my Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 for the oil change. The good old stuff with the NOACK in the 6's.

I will not run a 20 weight oil in it.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 would be an excellent choice for your car. It will feel smoother and slightly quieter with 5w-30. Make sure you document oil changes with receipts for warranty coverage.

That's funny - I normally run Exxon or Shell - but do the same thing when I add Techron on my last tank before oil change ...

Good info on the software updates !
Originally Posted By: Thax
Use Techron concentrate. It is the same as the Hyundai/KIA fuel system cleaner. To prevent GDI carbon issues its pretty simple. I would really suggest a high quality low NOACK synthetic in 5w-30. Yes 5w-30 in the Theta-II 2.4L which calls for 5w-20, this engine shears oil pretty bad and has heavy fuel dilution issues. 30 weight is ok by Hyunday/KIA , 20 weight is recommended for fuel economy. If your gonna change your oil , use only the Hyundai/KIA filter. No other filter is as good for these engines, no aftermarket filter comes close. Use high quality gasoline , poor quality gasoline can contribute. Last when your in for service , inquire if the ECM and TCM have the latest updated software. Hyundai/KIA constantly are updating modules to improve performance, efficiency and longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back