Any knife collectors on BITOG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically give my sons a pocket knife for Christmas and normally receive one as well. This Christmas I treated myself to a Buck 112 with finger grooves, cherry wood scales, nickel bolsters, mirror finish SS blade and scale pins, as well as engraving on the bolsters, from Buck knives custom shop. I have since bought a Buck 110 [$27.97] at WalMart, and a Buck 055 from Amazon. I'm partial to the Buck folding lockbacks. Oh..Yesterday I ordered a Buck 119 75th anniversary fixed blade 'skinner' from Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Tn. Even though I haven't hunted in 40 years. I actually need to stop buying knives already. Does anybody else have a collection big or small, and a favorite type or brand? If you click on the link, I bought the 119 dymondwood handle knife shown.
www.buckknives.com/

Although I'm not explicitly a knife collector, I do have a real liking for Case knives. My general every day carry is a #3318 "Medium Stockman" yellow handle in CV steel. I love the medium stockman pattern, and have a bunch of them in both stainless and CV and both yellow and bone handles. I carry them all, although some more than others.

I have a handful of other Case patterns, some of which I carry(my yellow handle Trapper gets a decent amount of use) and some of which I don't(my unused 1960s elephant toe). I also have a bunch that belonged to my grandfather-he was a big fan of Schrade knives and I have several of his(along with a couple of other makes).

While I like Buck I carry a Spyderco Delica 4 stainless. Years ago Buck was one of my customers. I delivered all of the gasses needed for their lasers. This was when they were in El Cajon CA. It was a good time every time I went there.

I've got about two dozen knives. I like the traditional knives, makers like Buck, Case, opinel, Victorinox and leatherman are mostly what I own. Although I am looking at a spyderco h1 variant as a possible next knife.

I had a nice collection of Buck knives. Sold almost all of them... still have a few and miss a few.

I also have a few William Henrys, but they are not for the faint of heart money wise.
Practically useless as knives.

I currently carry a Benchmade.

Not a knife collector either, but I have a very old knife. It is a Shapleigh Hardware Company Knife, with the DE Diamond Edge trademark.

Any idea what I have? It is an old knife and shows lots of wear. It is small and easy to carry around in my pocket. I use it as a general do anything knife. Is it worth anything?

I love edged weapons. MY current EDC rotation is a Spyderco tenacious, a Cold Steel Voyager(L), and a Spyderco Manix 2 XL. With a few others thrown in every now and then.

I did the Blade show in 2015 and can recommend it to anyone who loves knives.

EDC is a Spyderco 'Calypso Jnr' that has a VG-10 plain blade. Prefer plain blades over serrated varieties. Have a '1st Run' Gerber 'Serrator' as well as a Buck lock-back. Also have CRKT 'Stiff Kiss' that I like for it's simplicity. Also have s Gerber multi-tool.

I really like anything Spyderco. And I cannot imagine being out & about w/o a quality blade at my disposal...

John.

I'm no collector, but I always have a small blade with me. For the most part, I've had good luck with Spydercos. I carry a small Dragonfly 2 (blade length limits in Chicago). I have a spare Ambitious, and carry an Endura for camping.

'I've got a whole back full of them...does that count ?'

^^ LOL! ^^ My Buck 119 75th anniversary knife just arrived, and she is 'purty'! Buck had a run of 50 knives, mistakenly with the 2016 tang stamp and technically not a 75th year anniversary model but sold as such, and I was fortunate enough to get 1 of them. It might be a little more collectible when my grandchildren decide to sell it on Ebay! 1942 was the first year for the Buck 119 and they have made untold numbers for the American military since. American made in Post Falls, Idaho and with the Buck 'forever warranty'. Buck also puts an inspirational message in the box of each knife sold...which is also impressive in this day and time.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My Buck 119 75th anniversary knife just arrived, and she is 'purty'!

I clicked on your link to Buck's website. That is a beautiful knife. Which handle did you get?

Brad, I bought the 'wood' handled version. My wife even commented how pretty it is. I'm now looking for display cases....
cool.gif
You can get them and other Buck knives much cheaper than from the Buck website at other internet sources, such as Copperandclad.com.

Last edited:
I decided to buy a Buck Knife myself. I haven't been able to find the Schrade Old Timer that was given to me by my dad maybe 40 years ago. So I bought a Buck Stockman 3 blade folding knife. It comes with their forever warranty.

My plan is to use it as my daily carry for cutting whatever. The plan is after I die that one of my boys gets it... not because it was an expensive knife, but because it was dad's knife.

Thought there would be 8 pages by now on this. Yes, I have a small but decent knife collection, Kershaw Tanto, CRKT, leek and picked a Brous Blades 4" flipper for black Friday. The Brous is by far my fave.

I also read truthaboutknives, bladeforums, and watch Forged in Fire on History Channel (a knife making competition show).

I don't consider myself a 'knife collector', but more of a 'knife accumulator'. I probably have around 40-45 folders. Mostly Spyderco but I also have several Benchmades, Victorinox, a few Kershaws, a couple of Cases, a ZT, a GEC, an Opinel, and one or two Bucks. Probably a couple others I can't remember right now.

Still resisting the urge/pressure to acquire a Chris Reeve. For now.

I'm on bladeforums but I spend way more time on BITOG.

Bladeforums has all you will ever need to know about knives for sure. I'm contemplating if I really need the Duke 500 smallish folder, with cherry scales and the Nickel finish on the blade and bolsters. I bought a Buck 715 Ascend a few days ago and the wife commented she might need one of those for her purse....I'm thinking I might be good to go for now, at least until she tells me to slow down a bit.

Been collecting knives since my early teens. I don't know exactly how many I've got but it is well over 100 folding/pocket knives. I like all kinds but am partial to Buck and Victorinox. Started buying more of the Vics recently.

BITOG and bladeforums are the only places I hang out. Knives and oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back