08 & 05 Odyssey High milage,, oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pick up 2 vans the past 2 months. I was in the store and just notice that full synthetic is much closer in price then i every remember. I use to use pennzoil high mileage in other vans.

A.) The 2008 has 215,000 miles on it, and VCM II is not disabled (yet?).
I drive this for work 70,000 to 80,000 miles a year.
70% hwy miles at 75-85 mph, 15% rural 60MPH, 15% city. 4-6 hours a day
I plan on putting another 200,000 miles on it. What oil should i use? and is 10,000 miles between oil changes okay?

B.) The 2005 has 180,000 and VCM 1 not disabled yet but will be soon.
My wife drive's this one and we take trips in it. 15 20 minutes trips. Probably about 15,000 miles a year.

Thanks for any recommendations

Originally Posted By: Roland
I plan on putting another 200,000 miles on it. What oil should i use? and is 10,000 miles between oil changes okay?

Synthetic 10w30 for 10K intervals.

My wife drive's this one and we take trips in it. 15 20 minutes trips. Probably about 15,000 miles a year.

5w-30 conventional for 5K intervals, changing oil filter every other time.

BTW, I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey I bought new.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Did these vans have conventional or synthetic in their previous lives?

I don't know. I guess i should have asked. the onwers did seem to pamper there Vans but but it would just be guessing.
I can still get a hold of the 08 previous owner. I'll see if i can still find the 05 phone number.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Synthetic 10w30 for 10K intervals.

5w-30 conventional for 5K intervals, changing oil filter every other time.

BTW, I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey I bought new.

thanks
Have you disabled your VCM on your Ody? There's a new "VCMtuner" deactiator, i think i'll get for my 08.

No VCM in mine. I did not trust the system when I bought mine, nor did I want "PAX" tires, so I purposely opted for the mid line EX model.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
No VCM in mine. I did not trust the system when I bought mine, nor did I want "PAX" tires, so I purposely opted for the mid line EX model.
Smart move.

I bought a different 2005 EXL in october, it ran great but it used 0.75 quarts per 1000 miles. I drove it 20,000 miles then last week i found found the 08, it that was too nice to pass up and it doesn't drink oil.
I planed on running a BG oil treatment to see if i might make to rings seal better (assuming it's the rings) before i sell it. The VCM seems just plain ole stupid.

Valvoline MaxLife Syn Blend at 6k mile OCI's might be a good fit.
what's OCI's?

70% hwy miles at 75-85 mph,

This is a perfect application for 10w-30 oils and extended intervals.

Valvoline MaxLife Syn Blend at 6k mile OCI's might be a good fit.
what's OCI's?

Oil Change Intervals

Putting 70k plus miles on it I would use either 3/30 or 10/30 synthetic run 7500 miles and take a little oil out of the dip stick tube and get a UOA to see how the oil is holding up. If its still good(I bet it will be) run it out till the oil is used up. With those type of miles who wants to change the oil every 5k miles, thats 14+ oil changes a year. I don't know about you but I've got better things to do than change the oil every 3 weeks or so.
Your type on miles are the easiest on a engine so you should be able to get more than 10k miles on a good synthetic, don't forget to use a good filter like a Fram XG filter, you want a filter that can go as long as your oil.

ROD

Yes, unless a "good synthetic" cleans up crud off the seals from potentially the last 215,000 miles of conventional oil...and starts leaking in multiple places. That's why I think HM syn blend would be a better option. You can still do UOA and extend out as appropriate.

VCM seems to be nothing good on these Honda V-6s, so tune it out ASAP.
Oil?
Any decently priced syn or blend. These engines (sans VCM) aren't picky about oil.
I'd be more worried about the automatic transaxles than the engines myself.
A few drains and fills with an appropriate ATF would be a good move.

The 08 probably has the MM, so follow its recommendations but use a full synthetic oil

The 05 should be good with any synthetic for 10k

I would use Pennzoil Platinum as it has a good reputation for its cleaning properties. Any Xw20 or Xw30 should do fine in the 3.5, although I see no need for 10w30. Follow the owners manual on OCI's.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
What is VCM?

variable cylinder management.
At low load cruising, the computer disables 2 or 3 cylinders. It cuts fuel and spark to those cylinders. It also may do something with the valve operation on those cylinders, but I'm not 100% sure if they do.
It seems that if they don't manage the valves some how the power stroke would create a negative pressure in the cylinder a may suck extra oil into the cylinder when no combustion is happening especially when rings are older. But like i said, i'm not sure if they manage the valves in a way to prevent that or not. A lot of these VCM engines use excessive oil.

All to please EPA quotas.

Some people disable the VCM by fooling fooling the engine temperature reader into thinking the engine is not warm enough to engage the VCM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The 08 probably has the MM, so follow its recommendations but use a full synthetic oil

The 05 should be good with any synthetic for 10k

MM????

Migrating Mallard's
The little chocolate candies
Maintenance, monitor, manager, Ok i give up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back