Which route to take

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally change my oil with synthetic on my 15 dart at 7500 miles. That's when the olm would be about to 8%. I'm not going to extend it farther than that given my driving habits and such. But my new dart the 2.4l uses just a hair less than 1qt in 5,000 miles.
Given this knowledge and it does take 0w20. However I've read in the manual 5w20 is suitable as well my guess is 5w30'would be fine as well. So in saying all of this would i be better suited running a conventional oil 5,000 and changing it at those intervals instead. I really don't want to to top off oil and all of that either.

What is the reason for consumption in those engines? May lose some pep and a mpg or 2 but 5w30 will be fine. Or maybe a 0w30. Depends when and why it consumes.

Allow me to ask this if I do go the conventional route which would you use ? My main concern is cleanliness of the engine.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
...I really don't want to to top off oil and all of that either.

Its that difficult to add 1/2 to a whole quart at some point during the OCI? In fact, if you need to add a quart at 5k and 7500 is your normal OCI at 8% IOLM why not just add that quart at 5k and stretch it out to 0%? Or not. Whatever.

Originally Posted By: buck91

Its that difficult to add 1/2 to a whole quart at some point during the OCI? In fact, if you need to add a quart at 5k and 7500 is your normal OCI at 8% IOLM why not just add that quart at 5k and stretch it out to 0%? Or not. Whatever.

I'd rather not have to add and when I do uoa's I'd like it to be a pure result with no make up oilnadded to skew the results.

Originally Posted By: buck91

I'd rather not have to add and when I do uoa's I'd like it to be a pure result with no make up oilnadded to skew the results.
If you add 1/2 way through your OCI it won't skew the results, still plenty of time left for that oil to be used and mixed in there. Just don't add it 100 miles before you change the oil.

Yea I could but I'd rather just change it at 5,000. I can change at 5,000 rotate and oil and 10,000 might be my OCD but I like the by 5's mentality

Try a thick 0-20 or 5-20 like Castrol Magnatec before you jump up to a 30 weight.

However I've read in the manual 5w20 is suitable as well my guess is 5w30'would be fine as well. So in saying all of this would i be better suited running a conventional oil 5,000 and changing it at those intervals instead. I really don't want to to top off oil and all of that either.

5w-30 all the way dude. The 0w-20 is too thin and staying with a 5w-20 is still a 20 weight at operating temps. go 30 cause you shouldn't consume on a 2015 model and if you do, the rule of thumb is go up weight as in 30 and not stay the same grade which is what the 5w-20 would be.

Last edited:
What would be a thick Dino oil?

10W-30 in a good name brand at 5k miles OCI.

OK ... sorry.

Without looking up spec sheets, you usually find Castrol is thick for grade and Pennzoil is thin for grade.

So for Dino, a GTX in the grade you want. But the Castrol Magnatec is producing great UOA's so I would spend a few more coins and step it up to the Magnatec.

Chevron Supreme
smile.gif

So my options are vwb pyb qsgb ms5000 or castrol which one stand out now

Based on what you've stated about going with a conventional oil and 5,000 mile OCI, I would go with 5W-20. Choose whichever major brand is on sale at Walmart. They will all do a good job protecting your engine.

Since you plan to have a sample analyzed, you'll see if there are any issues and can change brand or weight at the next oil change.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: QSUDFrostedFlake
5w-30 all the way dude. The 0w-20 is too thin and staying with a 5w-20 is still a 20 weight at operating temps. go 30 cause you shouldn't consume on a 2015 model and if you do, the rule of thumb is go up weight as in 30 and not stay the same grade which is what the 5w-20 would be.

So why don't you just tell us who you are and save a lot of guessing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back