Another Air Compressor OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all,

I've been debating asking this for a while as it's more a whimsical question than anything important.

I have a nice little 2.5HP slow running belt driven comp with a cast iron pump. It has an hour meter, and it sees 15-30 hours a year at *most*. It lives inside, does not experience extremes of temperature and generally lives a very easy and spoiled life.
The first few years I had it I was using generic air compressor mineral oil from the local car place. I found some pretty unpleasant emulsions in the tank and yellow sludge in my below-ground air lines. A couple of years ago I switched to Amsoil ISO100 synthetic compressor oil. Horrid emulsions and sludge gone and I'm a happy camper. Water separator has less oil in it also.

Now, the question. How often do I change it? It has about 2 and a half years and 35 odd hours on it now. Still looks clean in the sight glass and minimal foam while running.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
A couple of years ago I switched to Amsoil ISO100 synthetic compressor oil. Horrid emulsions and sludge gone and I'm a happy camper. Water separator has less oil in it also. Now, the question. How often do I change it? It has about 2 and a half years and 35 odd hours on it now. Still looks clean in the sight glass and minimal foam while running.

Brad - Honestly, I would change it when it has 500 hours on it.

Without UOA ya don't realy know reality in me I bet ok and at that rate another 2+++ years Sump capacity is what maybe a Qt I guess it depends how cheap is a person if it was me I'd change it out and being that it's on its first run on Amsoil.

I know I changed the oil on my old 2.5hp Craftsman compressor a while back and I know it hadn't been done in 20yrs, what came out looked just as good as what I put in. I wouldn't sweat it. I also just replaced with non-detergent 30wt oil and it seems to be perfectly happy.

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman 2.5HP compressor in my garage that I bought new in 1979. It's still on the original oil - no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back