Mystery noise from drive belt area

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Camry LE I4.

So for a little while now there has been a chugging sound coming from around the drive belt area. So far, I have been unable to locate the specific cause of the noise, but it is starting to drive me INSANE.

The car idles, runs, and drives fine. There are no signs of overheating or anything negative. Other than the noise itself, everything appears to be normal. It seems to do it after the car has warmed up just a bit, and you can only hear it between idle and under 20 mph. It seems to increase in frequency when moving, but it is difficult to tell.

So, my thought is that it could be the water pump, oil pump, one of the pulleys, the serpentine belt (which appears to be fine... no cracks or wear that I can see), the AC compressor (AC and heat work just fine), or who knows I just need it to stop before I set the car on fire.

I have psted two videos, one from inside and one from outside the car. Have any of you heard this type of noise before? Any idea what it could be? Figured I would ask here first before I started replacing things.

Thanks!

Go buy a mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight or use a long screwdriver/prybar with the handle next to you ear & the tip behind each bearing on a bolt or anywhere near the pulley & listen to each rotating component. You know which ones making the noise quickly

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Go buy a mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight or use a long screwdriver/prybar with the handle next to you ear & the tip behind each bearing on a bolt or anywhere near the pulley & listen to each rotating component. You know which ones making the noise quickly

This. A bearing somewhere is shot. With the car off, you can also pull the belt and feel each pulley by hand.

Pop the belt off (mark it first so it goes back on the same way) and start the engine. Run the engine briefly, no noise its a rotating part driven by the belt, noise still there it isn't.
If the noise is gone spin every component connected to the belt by hand, something making that much noise will be easy to find.

mclasser had the same thought.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I am going to pick up a stethoscope tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint the noise with it running. From where the noise is loudest I am thinking that it is either the alternator, water pump, or (hopefully not) the crankshaft. If that doesnt work i will slip off the belt and try everything by hand.

I actually get a similar noise from my 2008 oil burner Scion xB when at hot idle. It has the same engine. I thought it was some pistons rocking or more likely is carbon ignited detonation.

Let us know what you figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back