Jeep instrument cluster stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help. I have a 1997 jeep grand cherokee, that I was working on the power windows and got underneath the dashboard. I then proceeded to take a plastic cover off. When I started my car none of the gauges worked. Then I jiggled some of the wires and it worked. Once I got home everything stopped working. I have tried everything I can think of. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Last edited:
No firsthand knowledge here.

Since you got things connected/powered up by jiggling wires before I suggest you do it again and see where any plugs are nearby.

All I can do is guess. Perhaps a retaining clip (one of two) has broken off one or more plugs. We are talking 20 year old plastic here.

Good luck, Kira

Since you jiggled some wire and the gauges worked again, it's an intermittent connection somewhere. As the problem affects more than one gauge, I would first check the common ground.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Since you jiggled some wire and the gauges worked again, it's an intermittent connection somewhere. As the problem affects more than one gauge, I would first check the common ground.

Beat me to it.

"I was working on the power windows and got underneath the dashboard. I then proceeded to take a plastic cover off. When I started my car none of the gauges worked. Then I jiggled some of the wires and it worked. " You figured out the problem . Now find out why.

It's possible the gauge cluster has a broken board inside it where it plugs in. May be time for another cluster. FWIW I got a completely rebuilt one on ebay for 150 bucks.

That's about the era of low-lead solder that cracks with age. One fix is to take stuff apart and lightly touch the solder globs with a hot iron to re-flow them.

SO the wire tugs on the connector on the circuit board and *that* contact is fine, but the connector's solder to the board is flaky.

So the problem is the wiring harness that connects with the door. I have it temporarly fixed. Thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back