Canadian Tire Motomaster Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, new to the forums but have often landed here in the past few years for various searches.

I have hopefully a straightforward question. I can't find any indication that it has been asked/answered publicly online yet, but if anyone knows the answer and will be able to share it, I would imagine they are here.

Are these two products the same oil? The Motomaster product is made by SOPUS but that's the closest I can draw the connection.

MotoMaster 10W30 Semi-Synthetic Diesel Oil
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-10w30-semi-synthetic-diesel-oil-5l-0287922p.html#srp

Rotella T5 Semi-Synthetic 10W30 Diesel Oil
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rotella-t5-semi-synthetic-10w30-diesel-oil-0287946p.html#srp

Canadian Tire's MSDS lookup is unfortunately 404ing right now but I'm not sure that would give the required details anyway.

Then, with that answered (hopefully), I have a followup question. I have a couple vehicles with flat tappet cam Ford 5.0 V8s. There's an opinion (not sure how popular it is, but I know it exists) that diesel oils have higher concentrations of additives (zinc?) that benefit a flat tappet cam engine in terms of reducing wear. Is that still true, and if it is, do these particular oils offer that protection?

Thanks!

Despite not knowing it's origins I too hope that it's simply re-bottled Rotella,
nevertheless it has become my go-to oil over the past year.

Initialy wanting to simplify oil inventory in the workshop,
I picked it for use in the: lawnmower, snowblower, generator, lawn tractor.

Unlike many HDEO 15W-40 it doesn't have a JASO certification (wet clutch applications)
but since it's not 'Energy Conserving' I went ahead and gave it a try anyway.

My Honda CRF250X enduro dirt bike has separate engine and gearbox sumps,
(Rotella 15W-40 has been a long time trusted 'economy' lube for this usage)
I found the Motomaster Diesel 10W-30 is much less sluggish for the small engine to pump (better throttle response)
and the gearbox shifts easier as well when riding in a relatively cool climate (5°C to 25°C).

As well my Yamaha YZ125 2-stroke motocross had always experienced some occasinal notchy shifting since new,
despite experimenting with fancy 'MX specific' ($$) lubes and various other lubricants commonly used
in these applications, again the Motomaster Diesel Semi-Syn 10W-30 yields the best shift quality up to now.

Both bikes get their clutches worked out quite a lot, any non-compatibility issue would
have been quickly apparent but neither one ever showed a sign of slippage.

Was buying it in 5 litre jugs but during a recent sale couldn't pass up the 63$ / 19litre pail deal.
I'll likely be trying it in my daughter's oil burning '03 Toyota Echo as well.

Last edited:
I don't think we can know it's the same oil, but it certainly would be serviceable. As with all house brands, of course, sourcing can change, and some find that problematic. I've been able to get decent 5 gallon pail pricing straight from the distributor, so have little reason to buy a pail from Canadian Tire. Incidentally, their best "on sale" prices of Delvac products are still higher than what I pay at the distributor any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back