Newspapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people here buy a newspaper on a regular basis or buy a digital subscription?

Not political. Not suggesting any particular paper.

My point is quality jourlynism takes reporters who deserve a paycheck like we all want. So if you want good reporting you should be willing to pay for it.

And if you listen or watch or read NPR or PBS you should donate.

I buy a digital subscription for just under $4.00 a week. I enjoy reading lots of sources of information.

I too have digital subscription for around $6 a week. I like the classifieds as neighbors have had luck with that part. Local paper talks about our community, and maple syrup festival and enjoyable things
smile.gif

Count me in sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald

Bwaaa, ha, ha!
I thought you said it wouldn't be political.

Most newspapers are political. I subscribe to none.
If there was an unbiased news source, i would consider it.

Journalists want to change the world, that's the problem. How about just reporting what happens with sterility. No one does that.

My wife requires a newspaper at $150-$250/year. I can do without it and the heavily biased opinions of editors and writers. I'm ready for it to do away. Anything of interest I can find on line

Worst part of it is trying to find what part of the front lawn, road, or driveway the carrier tossed it in while driving by at 30 mph. I really love it when it's raining and it ends up on the big puddle at the base of the driveway.

Dropped both recently - was ready for the petty stuff to end but it only got worse ...

I get a paper every morning in my driveway.i dont pay for it.but im not complaining although sometimes he slings it under my cars

Very rarely, these days. The local news has gone down the toilet, and the internation/national stuff is two days old. I realize they have a tough business model these days, but they've gone backwards. They get rid of local content to save money and rely on consolidation and wire services. But, I've read that already online a day or two prior, so there's really no point.

So much of what is called news is pandering to one or more political parties, especially NPR. I just read a few scientific journals and glance at the nightly news but I do not believe any of it until it has been verified.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Bwaaa, ha, ha!
I thought you said it wouldn't be political.

I was not suggesting you get news from PBS or NPR but was only suggesting if you do then you should contribute.

Newspaper?

In the late 50's I was a newspaper boy powered by a real bicycle. A month was $2.10. I was 12 years old when I started. I actually built it up to 2 routes and earned about $10 a day. It taught me how to not get bit by dogs. There were no lease laws and it was open season on paperboys by every dog on the route.

I get my news online but from several sources, many outside this country. Germany, Russia, France, Australia, etc.
Like 10 people who witness an auto accident giving 10 different accounts, so it goes with the news. By the time I've read all my many different sources, I've formulated my own opinion based on what they've all said.

And here's the most important thing: not that I get my news from many varied sources, but that I develop my own opinion, not had it crafted by some talking head or news agency with an agenda.....

Newspaper? Not really. There's a community mailer that has some news in it that we get in the mail every month. I don't ask for it, and it usually goes in the trash as soon as I bring it in from the mailbox. I already know everything I need to know and everything I want to know.
My point is quality jourlynism takes reporters who deserve a paycheck like we all want. So if you want good reporting you should be willing to pay for it.

Most "jourlynism" is supported by a large number of advertisers. I don't plan to pay them to throw advertisements in my face.

I already financially support both of them-it's called tax dollars and I'm not given a choice. I'm not going to let them wring additional funding from me.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I already know everything I need to know and everything I want to know.

That is pretty sad.

especially when so much of it is wrong...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Most "jourlynism" is supported by a large number of advertisers. I don't plan to pay them to throw advertisements in my face.

BINGO!

It's no different than paying for a cable subscription.
I don't understand why I need to pay the cable company (or paper publisher) to send me nonsense in the mail to sell me things I dont' want/need. They should be offering this stuff for free, including the TV shows/movies attached to them.

It's like buying t-shirts with company logos across the front (something I was guilty of doing in high school). I'm PAYING for them to use me as a walking billboard.
crazy2.gif

Nope. The local ones are all out of business afaik. The nearest real paper "newspaper" is prob out of NYC or Boston.
The old local ones here seem to only exist as junky looking websites now. Looks like the same media company hosts them all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back