M1 5w30, 8,222km, 2013 F150, 97,942km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Here is the latest UOA from my 2013 F150 Ecoboost, running 5w30 Mobil 1 oil & a Motorcraft filter. I switched to Castrol Edge 5w30 for this OCI (with a Motorcraft filter again) - hoping for better results.

Does anyone know what fix Blackstone is referring to in relation to the fuel dilution?

13%20F150-170129_zpsgxa99lad.jpg

I was intrigued by your change interval until I remembered to convert kilometers to miles. Your last run was 5,108 miles. Looks like your oil dropped out of spec when the fuel dilution starting climbing.

Out of curiosity, what was the oil life monitor reading for % remaining? I've only been looking at M1 in our engines for a month or so now (nerding out here on BITOG), but the oil sure doesn't seem like it will last the typical 8-10k miles (12.8k-16.1k KM). Do you have a lot of idle time on the engine?

And to answer your question, I'm not sure what Ford's fix is for the fuel dilution referenced by Blackstone. Fuel dilution seems to be a recurring issue on some of these engines. Maybe search for TSBs for your truck and see if something pops up.

I'm trying to think, isn't it KJ smith that's put up some stellar UOAs using Castrol Magnetec, which is a semi syn? He has a high mileage 'boost and it really likes the magnetec. Why would I pay M1 prices when I can get a lower priced oil to do better?
My'11 boost is on Edge 0w40 but the wife's Expedition is going to start getting the Magnetec next oil change (warranty).
I'm convinced it's a good oil for the Ecoboost engine.

I get a case of M1 at Costco for something like $28 when on sale. Hard to beat that price. Magnetec does seem do great in these engines.

When was the last time you took your truck to the dealer? If it's been a while, maybe take it back there to see if there are any TSBs that are outstanding. Switching to Castrol isn't going to make the fuel dilution issue go away.

Looks good except for the fuel. Oil is thinning so your oci looks about right.

Onug, oil live monitor was around 40% (i'd have to check my notebook to see what it was exactly).

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I'm trying to think, isn't it KJ smith that's put up some stellar UOAs using Castrol Magnetec, which is a semi syn? He has a high mileage 'boost and it really likes the magnetec. Why would I pay M1 prices when I can get a lower priced oil to do better?
My'11 boost is on Edge 0w40 but the wife's Expedition is going to start getting the Magnetec next oil change (warranty).
I'm convinced it's a good oil for the Ecoboost engine.

Yeah, I've noticed some very good results with Magnatec also. Unfortunately, where I live I cant find a source for magnatec.

Yesterday I grabbed 3 $10 jugs of FS Magnatec and then looked at the new stock. Only Edge or Dino Castrol ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yesterday I grabbed 3 $10 jugs of FS Magnatec and then looked at the new stock. Only Edge or Dino Castrol ...

Yeah, same thing around here - can buy Edge or regular Castrol almost anywhere but Magnatec is almost unheard of.

From new to 60k i used PP, then switched to M1 which I used up to the current OCI (where I switched to Edge). It's hard to say but it seems to me the PP performed better than the M1.

I go back and forth with M1 & PP (and clearance stuff too) like to alternate my business and add packs (but I don't step on the sidewalk cracks)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Sort of a confusing product line - the 20's are FS and the 30's are blends ?

Is this for the Magnatec?

After wrestling and running two of my Chonda Champ gens today (thunderstorm) - got to thinking the sling and cling Magnatec 10w30 blend would make a good OPE oil - so got another $10 jug ...

Originally Posted By: gap599
Onug, oil live monitor was around 40% (i'd have to check my notebook to see what it was exactly).

Thanks. That's tracking pretty close to mine as well. The one UOA I've done was around 4,3xx miles and the oil was just starting to drop out of the 30 weight spec (at least, if I'm remembering correctly). I didn't have any fuel in my sample however.

Good luck with getting the fuel dilution fixed. Report back how that goes. I'm only approaching 14,xxx miles in my rig, so my engine might be new enough that I'm not experiencing that issue yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back