M1 0W-40, 3,786 miles, '12 Kia Optima SX (2.0T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I really wanted to get a really good look at what is happening in my engine and decided to get two reports done on my recent oil change. I have already done several reports with Blackstone and wanted to give Polaris (Amsoil lab) a chance, both with TBN reporting as well. My total cost to do this was ~$75.

I've always run M1 0W-40 Euro oil (5qt just at Walmart, $25) and with the recent change to the "FS" formulation, I wanted a good baseline to compare my filling my sump with the new "FS" version. I also plan on trying Castrol Edge 0W-40 and doing reports on it as well as the current sump run of the M1 "FS" version oil.

Anyway, there 'tis:

Blackstone: http://imgur.com/ncnuO5H

Polaris: http://imgur.com/RYQBOlT

Last edited:
I should note that I ran my car for a good 17 miles (round trip) on the highway to get an accurate sample.

The BIGGEST surprise between these two is the fuel dilution issue.

Blackstone reports less than 0.5% while Polaris (Amsoil) says greater than 5% (using GC)!

I DO have a very good PCV side OCC, I drive 20 miles each way to work (mixed highway), run Shell or Costco 93 octane gas (Top Tier) and generally don't "thrash" the car on my DD trips. My OCI is ~4K miles and I have been using the OEM oil filter (this most recent oil change I cut open the filter and posted it).

Well, your UOA's sum up the issue many of us have with Blackstone's management of fuel dilution. Flashpoint down, viscosity down, but fuel at less than 1%. Then you look at the other report that shows fuel at >5%, which makes a heck of a lot more sense.

Makes me wonder if they're measuring fuel dilution at all. My sample was very similar too. Flashpoint was lower than average, as was viscosity, but no fuel dilution. I mean even the oil has a faint smell of gasoline when I check it from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Only 4K mile OCI? You could easily do double that on M1 0W-40.

The KIA normal scheduled service interval for my engine is 5K miles, while severe service is 3,750 miles (needed to keep the 10yr/100K mile warranty). I use (or gain) NO oil in my ~4K OCI but I do get oily/watery gunk drained out (more in the winter) from my PCV OCC (~1-2oz/2K miles) and I DO smell fuel in my oil. That combined with my UOA results leads me to want to keep a 4K mile OCI with the oil I'm running.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Does your owners manual call for 93 octane? Just curious.

Nope. I can run off of 87 octane (w/274HP stock rating) according to the factory and did so for a couple of years when I first bought the car.
However, given that this is a 17.4psi turbo engine and that the ECU somewhat adjusts to the gas you use, I can gain 10HP (according to a factory engineer) by running 93 octane gas with no other modifications. With the modifications I've done to date (intake and exhaust changes) and the ECU tune I've installed (LAP3USA UncleBoost ECU tune, Stage 1.5), I must run 93 octane now (and I'm north of 325HP now).

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

Nope. I can run off of 87 octane (w/274HP stock rating) according to the factory and did so for a couple of years when I first bought the car.
However, given that this is a 17.4psi turbo engine and that the ECU somewhat adjusts to the gas you use, I can gain 10HP (according to a factory engineer) by running 93 octane gas with no other modifications. With the modifications I've done to date (intake and exhaust changes) and the ECU tune I've installed (LAP3USA UncleBoost ECU tune, Stage 1.5), I must run 93 octane now (and I'm north of 325HP now).

It seems to me that if you are using a tuner and have made engine mods, KIA isn't going to honor any engine warranty anyway.

Originally Posted By: BobThe
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

It seems to me that if you are using a tuner and have made engine mods, KIA isn't going to honor any engine warranty anyway.

It is a risk but it's very dealer dependent in general. Currently, with the rod bearing lawsuit and resulting warranty extension offered to all owners (1st, 2nd, etc.), they only check for extreme sludge when a failed/failing engine shows up. If you have any kind of proper oil change/maintenance receipts, they seem to be very "forgiving" with the warranty issues they've had. They want to keep customers happy in general.

Seeking clarification ..
Is this 3786 mile OCI new M1 0W40 FS version, whereas the 3 prior OCI samples are old non-FS version ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Seeking clarification ..
Is this 3786 mile OCI new M1 0W40 FS version, whereas the 3 prior OCI samples are old non-FS version ?

No, all reports are on the non-FS version. At this OCI, I filled the sump (5 qts) with the FS version and plan on doing another report at the end of running it as a comparison (non-FS vs. FS). Sorry if I was not clear.

Thanks, it probably make sense to consider OCI at 5K (likely achieving similar wear rates) for warranty purpose and it's KV@100C may retains above 10.6 cSt. At 4K, KV@100C probably falls below 10.5 or more, just my speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back