Gulf Competition Cheap Ester based oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basestock does have considerable impact in the cleaning ability of an oil.
Esters have higher solvency that most other basestocks and higher polarity as well, so they can offer better cleaning ability. In contrast, Grp IVs have low solvency and polarity so require additives to mitigate these things. Esters are also kind to seals while Grp IVs require additives for this.
There are even cleaning and seal conditioning products that consist of nothing more than esters. ARX comes to mind.
In the bad old days before we had all of these fancy additive packages, it was the solvency and polarity of the basestock that allowed the oil to work well enough on short drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
you're losing about 1 hp at high rpm, less at lower rpm.

Exactly.

You loose more HP to road surface condition or WAY more to wet/dry, or a slightly dragging brake pad , etc. Tire pressures can make 20X the difference in oil grades ...

Last edited:
Cool i think i will stick to the shell oil then which is 40% cheaper.
Anything wrong with using a group 3 oil for 6k intervals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slybunda
Cool i think i will stick to the shell oil then which is 40% cheaper.
Anything wrong with using a group 3 oil for 6k intervals?

Nope
smile.gif

How funny - worked at a Gulf when I was (best not post age) and Single G and Multi G were the cans we filled with

Ahh cool. So the ester oil cleans better? I thought ester was just for lubrication and additives and detergents do the cleaning?

True, nothing beats a real good add pack, although the base stock type and viscosity do have a minor effect. They don't seem to make group 2 car oils too much, as they sheared a lot, but did need less in the way of detergents. Some aviation oils never even used detergents as their very basic dino base oils were good enough cleaners for the typical 100 hr OCI for a piston engine.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Ahh cool. So the ester oil cleans better? I thought ester was just for lubrication and additives and detergents do the cleaning?

True, nothing beats a real good add pack, although the base stock type and viscosity do have a minor effect. They don't seem to make group 2 car oils too much, as they sheared a lot, but did need less in the way of detergents. Some aviation oils never even used detergents as their very basic dino base oils were good enough cleaners for the typical 100 hr OCI for a piston engine.

Aviation oils? Are you talking about world war 2 planes ?!

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Some aviation oils never even used detergents as their very basic dino base oils were good enough cleaners for the typical 100 hr OCI for a piston engine.

The reason air-cooled aviation engines use ashless oil is because they burn a little oil in use, and metallic additive elements can cause deposits that lead to pre-ignition. Such oils are either straight mineral or are mineral with ashless dispersants added. You can not say (or imply) that these oils would be useful cleaners in a water-cooled automotive engine, because the applications and servicing requirements are worlds apart.

specs
wje5j8.jpg

I just noticed that this is barely a 30 by the D445 viscosities...everybody would jump on it for having sheared if those numbers came up in a UOA.
Surprising to me that its HTHS is 3.58, but I probably just don't understand all the different viscosity measurements well enough...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The 0w-30 in that table doesn't have a 3.58 cP hths... no way, no how. You'll be lucky to have a 3.0 cP HTHS from that

Actually, you will be lucky to have an HTHS of 2.6 cP.

But, how can a company label an oil as "competition" without putting the HTHS numbers on the main data sheet?

Latest analysis on oil-club.de says, addpack in 5W-40 is now completely different than before and than in 10W-40. Requests to opieolis are underway...
Imho very sad story.

edit:
And what with current fresh 10W-40? Confidence... fly off...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back