Programming GM 6.0 for regular unleaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pOnpWZ7.png

You can run 87, but have the higher-compression (10:1) LQ9. Even on my LQ4 (9.4:1), I'm running 89-octane to eliminate knock retard.

I'd highly encourage you to run a strong, PEA combustion chamber cleaner (you can buy Techron in a quart/gear-oil type bottle; use it all in one tank) and at least
midgrade gas.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=428255&docFormat=PDF

Maybe; but it would take a LOT of miles to make that $300+ back.

You can run regular now when its colder and not towing. I used regular in my wifes old C5 corvette in the winter and never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I'd highly encourage you to run a strong, PEA combustion chamber cleaner (you can buy Techron in a quart/gear-oil type bottle; use it all in one tank) and at least
midgrade gas.

PEA takes time, so dumping the whole bottle in might not help much.

Pulling the spark plugs and a tablespoon of SeaFoam in each plug hole and letting it sit for a few days might work better.

Please read the PDS, Linctex.

Time it takes is one tankful. The dosage amount (entire bottle/32 ounces) was instructed as this aligns closely with their suggested treat rate (Escalade tank is 26 gallons). Sea Foam is not the proper product for this application.

Please read the PDS, Linctex.

Time it takes is one tankful. The dosage amount (entire bottle/32 ounces) was instructed as this aligns closely with their suggested treat rate (Escalade tank is 26 gallons). Sea Foam is not the proper product for this application.
That is B.S.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
How does it do on mid grade ?

Not sure, can't find it anywhere close to me. Its 87 or 93.

Originally Posted By: CT8
You buy a fancy vehicle then are too cheap to run premium?

Nope. Was surfing and found that programming tool which has me wondering. They claim you can program for regular. Its a $300 difference a year, could spend that on something else other than fuel.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

midgrade gas.

PEA takes time, so dumping the whole bottle in might not help much.

Pulling the spark plugs and a tablespoon of SeaFoam in each plug hole and letting it sit for a few days might work better.

Last year I did something similar when changing the knock sensors and the intake manifold was off. Blasted a whole bottle of carb cleaner down the exposed intake ports. The engine blew smoke for almost an hour after
laugh.gif
. It also has a new TB and plugs. I was thinking about using some of the new Gumout Multi-system tune just before oil change. I read on here its like a Seafoam/techron combo. But IMO she's very clean right now. Burns no oil during a 7k OCI. Its got 146k and has never seen anything less than 93. And with things going so well I'm being cautious thats all.

I guess you could try a mixture (91 is Premium here, so you could cut the premium with some regular if you really wanted to.) A 70/30 premium/regular would be about 91. No harm in that. But, were it mine, I'd run no less than 91.

Unless it's in uncommonly good tune, your money will be better spent continuing to put premium in the tank and getting it to burn less of it than the $300 device that lets it burn regular. Not just plugs, filters, etc., but the state of the whole vehicle.

Youll pay for at least some of the "money saved" in worse fuel economy. All that program is doing is putting it into the 87 octane mode all the time, instead of it figuring out on its own. I was taught to run 5 tanks of regular, and 5 tanks of super, and compared average economy across them. Youll see that its costing you more to run regular in the mileage and power loss alone, and who knows what going on inside the motor from running like that long term.

Originally Posted By: Audios
and who knows what going on inside the motor from running like that long term.

Running richer with retarded timing to handle the low octane doesn't help engine life

Here are some Main Spark Advance tables (Advance vs Air Mass) using HP Tuners software, Comparing a 2005 Escalade LQ9 to a 2005 Yukon LQ4.....The only difference in the two calibrations is the Low Octane & High Octane main spark tables & Minimum Advance.
The Knock, Volumetric Efficiency(VE), Power Enrichment(PE), Spark vs IAT, & Spark vs ECT tables are identical.

LQ9 High Octane Main Spark Table....

LQ4 vs LQ9 High Octane Compare View, -1 means means the LQ4 has one less degree of spark advance than a LQ9 in that Cell.

The boxed-in area is where a vehicle is usually driven under load, The higher compression LQ9 has a "Hotter" Advance curve than a lower compression LQ4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back